Assistant Coaching changes in the off season ?

Jmonty71

Banned
As most of us know , Head Coaches are more like CEOs now. Collins appears to be a "loyalty" type guy.
By that I mean, he will give an Assistant a lot of rope until he just has to be let go.
Does anyone think Collins will make changes in the staff after this year ?
And if so, who ?
I didn't see anything promising from Pnut. But, Collins will either sink or swim, with him. I foresee this staff lasting another 2 seasons and then all get fired. I don't see the high ceiling, everyone else does.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After this year Fromm killed his chances to go to the NFL this year. I'm glad they picked the wrong QB to keep and I'm sure Ohio State is happy.

Fromm certainly wasn't what I thought he was based on his play this year. I doubt that staying next year will improve his draft status much. There is plenty of film on the guy and at this point, he is what he is. I think he can make a living in the league but don't think he is a sure fire starter and very doubtful as a "take your team to the Super Bowl kind of guy".

My brother is an OSU alum. He thinks Fields, based on what he has seen this year, can be as good as anybody they have ever had up there and they have had a number of guys who went on to the NFL.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I dunno if Pnaude is the answer long term, but to think you can make that determination off of what he was working with this year? Nah.

I will say be squeezed 12 tds and only 7 INT from a freshman QB with no P5 offers to play QB.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yeah dream on. With the transfers like they are now, they will have the best QB money can buy.
Thanks for reminding me about the portal? Do you have any names that would be the next Justin fields jalen hurts that could step in and continue their success next year if fromme leaves?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
After this year Fromm killed his chances to go to the NFL this year. I'm glad they picked the wrong QB to keep and I'm sure Ohio State is happy.
He certainly hasn’t impressed as much earlier in his career but perhaps enough to still get drafted in a worthwhile (to him) slot.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Cannot make any real staff determinations off this year alone. I don't think Pnode is very good, but that's not based off solely this year and he needs time to get some players that fit his scheme. I personally don't think he will ever be phenomenal, but I could be wrong.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nah. Well, Lay probably deserves it. But you give those schollies to walk ons who beat out scholarship guys and earned the playing time. This has been due to necessity. Plus, we need to open scholarships for the signing class, quite a few of them, actually.

Was going to say you may see Lay get one, but the rest will be going to the commits.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Now, wait a minute. Let's apply this to any environment. You see consistent failure for 3 years straight and you don't do something? I mean, come on.

It really depends on how you define failure. If the expectation was that we were going to have a couple of losing seasons, and maybe 3-4, then the win/loss total can't define failure. If we finish 2021 at 5-7 with a couple of heartbreaking but close losses making the difference, then I would say we made progress in spite of the overall record. The shutouts and looking completely unprepared on offense have to end on the sooner side though.

In the end, it's a young staff with young players and older players ill-fitted to the scheme. TStan will give them time.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer