Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Miller & Wade will be more interesting. Dawkins has diminished credibility, so I don't think his crazy accusations (assuming he makes some big ones) will be impactful. If Miller starts naming names, life will get very interesting

What if Dawkins' accusations aren't crazy and have hard evidence already known to Dawkins' defense team?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Evidence is produced and seen. Crazy accusations hint at the existence of evidence. The former would bolster credibility. The latter would point to a convicted felon spewing conspiracy theories

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
News in Raleigh showed a letter from NCSU about Dennis Smith payoff. They claim legal fees up to $200K for the school and they claim had no knowledge of the money. They are trying to avoid NCAA punishment. It will be interesting if NCAA agrees it was solely between Smith family AAU and Adidas.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Evidence is produced and seen. Crazy accusations hint at the existence of evidence. The former would bolster credibility. The latter would point to a convicted felon spewing conspiracy theories

So theres no evidence because you haven't seen it?

LibertyTurns

Banned
There’s no such thing as keeping things confidential these days. If they had evidence some money grubbing stooge would have leaked it already to get a free meal at Golden Corral and a few free beers at the local dive.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer

Never said there was or wasn't evidence. Just said it would be interesting to see if the guy already convicted will start throwing crazy crap out there. You asked if evidence would change that. I said yes. You seem to throw lots of accusations and innuendo around, but so far you seem pretty light on evidence yourself. Coincidence?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Miller & Wade will be more interesting. Dawkins has diminished credibility, so I don't think his crazy accusations (assuming he makes some big ones) will be impactful. If Miller starts naming names, life will get very interesting

Never said there was or wasn't evidence. Just said it would be interesting to see if the guy already convicted will start throwing crazy crap out there. You asked if evidence would change that. I said yes. You seem to throw lots of accusations and innuendo around, but so far you seem pretty light on evidence yourself. Coincidence?

I would have never questioned anything else you said, had you not opened with what appears to be a declaration that Dawkins has crazy accusations. It appears framed in a way that assumes there is no evidence to support the accusations, just that they're baseless from the open. Thus, my challenge to you.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
You forgot to highlight the next six words... assuming he makes some big ones. I said that because he has nothing to lose (already convicted) and many people in that situation throw out crazy stuff to try and curry favor with the DA for sentencing relief and/or distract from their own transgressions by creating larger issues for the press and general public to ponder

Until he hits the stand, we won’t know what he will / won’t do.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You forgot to highlight the next six words... assuming he makes some big ones. I said that because he has nothing to lose (already convicted) and many people in that situation throw out crazy stuff to try and curry favor with the DA for sentencing relief and/or distract from their own transgressions by creating larger issues for the press and general public to ponder

Until he hits the stand, we won’t know what he will / won’t do.

I expected this retort. Big or little, you stated a declaration of crazy accusations. Size of the accusation is a separate matter from evidence being available.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i believe both L'ville and Kansas have also filed for restitution.

The interesting thing in these cases are that the defense and prosecution are almost flipped. The Prosecutors want to focus solely on whether the defendants have broken federal rules. The defendants are out to show that their actions are just part of normal recruiting and that they willingly broke NCAA rules, but that it was for the coaches, but that their actions did not constitute breaking any federal laws. The Feds want to keep things as tight as possible, the defendants want dirt flying all over the place. so you get battles like the first trial where the defendants want wiretaps played and documents shown and the prosecutors actually want them kept out of the trial. The prosecutors won the first round. But with the subpeona's it will be interesting if the judge is going to allow more wiretaps and other evidence be admitted for this trial than the first one.

it puts the coaches that have to testify in a tight spot. They have said from the beginning they didn't pay anyone. that may be technically true, but they may have a harder time keeping out evidence that suggest they committed NCAA violations. it's one thing to make broad statements in front of press, its a whole other issue to say something like that under oath when there might be evidence that suggests otherwise. If evidence like that comes out they have a choice between potentially perjuring themselves or admitting to actions that could cost them their job.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm am wondering if say a player will graduate in the spring and has a year of eligibility left and will not earn meaningful playing time, is it a NCAA violation if a booster offers this player an incentive not to play his last year?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm am wondering if say a player will graduate in the spring and has a year of eligibility left and will not earn meaningful playing time, is it a NCAA violation if a booster offers this player an incentive not to play his last year?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

You mean a job?