Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Not this year. The NCAA won't do a thing this year. It will all still be in the FBI's hands and the NCAA will not have any evidence to allow them to change anything.

Might take 2-3 years for the punishments...or rule changes making it all legal anyway...to come about. In the meantime, move along, move along...nothing to see here.

I think you’re right, but the question for me is this: do the schools who have players that were named go ahead and play those guys - with the risk that any wins will be vacated in the next year or two - or (especially if they know they’re guilty) just hold those players out of the tournament “pending internal investigation”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If the FBI had a good case would they be dropping these daily tidbits to the press? I doubt it. They build public support when they have a weak case rather than a strong one.

To clarify, there are lots of players being paid by someone. The hard part is finding what is illegal and who to prosecute for these "crimes."

FBI and US Attrys tend to be very quiet during investigations, including leaks. Wouldn't shock me if these leaks are coming from defense attrys. They like to hold their cards really close to the vest until discovery.
Dawkins attry has been very vociferous that he finds it ridiculous that his client is going to be a fall guy for people much farther up the chain.

On Sean Miller. Would be supremely dumb of him to be talking so openly to someone about buying players, but as has been mentioned in the past Dawkins was a regular at their practices. also, Book Richardson has been with Miller for a very long time, hard to believe he wouldn't know what is going on.

I will say that i suspect the 4 coaches of the assts who have already been fired have been working really hard to distance themselves from the assts. The fact that all the players associated with those assts have decided to turn pro suggests they are caught in the web.

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
If the FBI had a good case would they be dropping these daily tidbits to the press? I doubt it. They build public support when they have a weak case rather than a strong one.

To clarify, there are lots of players being paid by someone. The hard part is finding what is illegal and who to prosecute for these "crimes."

This!!
I don't think anything will to any of this programs.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This!!

RRed makes a great point in saying these leaks are likely from the attorneys of those already indicted, thus do not encapsulate the entirety of the evidence.

If I'm Chuck Person and I'm facing charges for sh*t I did on Bruce Pearl's behalf, you best believe I want news released that'd paint him in a negative light. However, that doesn't mean that's all the evidence that exists.

That's my hope anyways as one courting chaos here.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
This!!

issue is where NCAA and FBI juristicions come into play. FBI cares more about the fact that people are getting paid and not paying taxes

NCAA realizes the FBI found something and then has to decide on rather or not it wants to act on it, its just they can't really hide anything due to the nature of the FBI

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Smathis has a good point,
there are 2 different discussion here - one is federal breaking of laws. The second is violation of NCAA regulations.
Those are 2 very different things.
Alot of the items may not rise to a level of a Federal crime, but almost everything that has been leaked so far is an NCAA violation.

The other thing to remember is that everything that is coming out right now is something the NCAA currently does not have any info on. Until they do, they cannot do anything about it. in general the NCAA waits for a school to report potential violations and then looks into them. I think most schools right now will simply role with things and hope nothing big happens later.

I have no doubt though that eventually some coaches are going to lose jobs and some schools will likely go on probation. NCAA is going to have to do that before they can change any rules. It is almost certainly going to be unfair, but they simply can't wipe everything and pretend it didn't happen or say they are changing the rules so that no one is punished. I don't think the public will support that outcome.

i'll also say one thing about changing the rules. They clearly are going to have to change the model, but remember almost every major league has some sort of cap system, whether it is a hard or soft one. it can't simply be open season, players can get whatever they can get - that isn't going to fly because part of the mandate is to at least have the appearance of some sort of level playing field - that is a large part of what caps are about. So when they change the rules, they will have to implement a system that does incorporate some type of caps or it will fall apart and eventually the public will largely stop paying attention because they will feel the system is too rigged.