Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Two interesting notes from the Nike article.
First the authors state why did the federal trials focus so much on Adidas and not Nike and they already know the answer to that. The reason is because the informants the government had worked primarily with Adidas.

Second, it sounds like in general Nike might have been paying less than Adidas or Under Armour for specific players. There are a couple of emails and texts with complaints about how much the other 2 were paying out. Basically Nike was able to pay less due to brand equity. Now, Nike's grassroots organization is the largest of the 3 show companies so it could likely be paying out more overall, it was just spread over a wider base. They almost sounded like the mafia - we are playing by a code, our competitors are not playing by that code.

Finally, i don't know how Arizona avoids having their season with Ayton wiped from the record books and penalties assessed. Everything that the NCAA needs is basically in this release and that doesn't even include the evidence the government collected but did not use in the trials.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Finally, I don't know how Arizona avoids having their season with Ayton wiped from the record books and penalties assessed. Everything that the NCAA needs is basically in this release and that doesn't even include the evidence the government collected but did not use in the trials.

To be honest, I would guess 95% of college sports fans could care less if the NCAA comes along a years (or years) later and alters the record books when such problems are found. I know it matters not at all to me that we had to forfeit our ACC Football Championship (over silly stuff)...because I have such great memories form the games that year.

I'm not saying that cheating pays....just sayin'

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
here's one I'm not so sure about
Either if it will happen or if the article is accurate?
Athletic directors concerned they could face prison sentences because of new NCAA legislation
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...on-sentences-because-of-new-ncaa-legislation/

That program seems to be based on the Sarbanes Oxley requirements for public company officers where they have to sign that their financial systems are "well controlled" and producing accurate financial statements. Not sure the details they are signing to but SA has launched a huge infrastructure of firms that do SA audits to validate the systems are in control and according to regulations so CEOs and CFOs can sign off with some validation/backup. These audits are not cheap and add hundreds of thousands to even small/moderate sized companies. Wonder if that is going to happen with athletic associations now - and add essentially the cost of a good assistant coach to the budget.

Still not sure exactly how this adds criminal liability to an athletic director but don't know all the legalities/specifics in the program.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That program seems to be based on the Sarbanes Oxley requirements for public company officers where they have to sign that their financial systems are "well controlled" and producing accurate financial statements. Not sure the details they are signing to but SA has launched a huge infrastructure of firms that do SA audits to validate the systems are in control and according to regulations so CEOs and CFOs can sign off with some validation/backup. These audits are not cheap and add hundreds of thousands to even small/moderate sized companies. Wonder if that is going to happen with athletic associations now - and add essentially the cost of a good assistant coach to the budget.

Still not sure exactly how this adds criminal liability to an athletic director but don't know all the legalities/specifics in the program.

The government's argument in the Gatto case was that providing a benefit to an athlete that made the athlete ineligible to compete without informing the school was criminal fraud. In my opinion, an even stronger argument could be made against Jim Tressel of Ohio State. He knowingly signed affidavits asserting that he didn't know of any violations when it was later proven that he did know of violations.

I haven't seen the new attestation documents. I don't believe that federal prosecutors are going to look at every single one of them to see if there is a mistake and then try to prosecute. However, there is a chance that if an athletic director signs an overreaching affidavit and that program is brought into the national spotlight that a federal prosecutor could take an interest. If something causes public outrage against that program, then a technicality in the affidavit could be used to provide a fall guy for the public. If the NCAA is asking the athletic directors to sign a form saying that there are NO violations at their school, and the FBI/prosecutors are treating NCAA violations as crimes, then the athletic directors are in a tenuous spot. Gatto was convicted. I said when his indictment was first posted that I didn't see any actual underlying fraud. If I were involved with the NCAA, I would be very concerned about attesting to anything that I could not be 100% certain to be the absolute truth. I wouldn't sign anything that made blanket statements of things beyond my direct control. I would probably even be hesitant to sign something that read "to the best of my knowledge".

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Tangential item...

Didn't cuse have something like this, way less serious though. They were hit way harder. Laughable penalties, guess once u let fake classes go & fail to put in tough sanctions to prevent fake classes in the future......

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Meanwhile at the NCAA offices ....

yippie.gif

relief.gif