Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lots of people laughing at Adidas being under the hot lights, but the FBI's 100+ page release names "rival shoe company" many times. This isn't just an Adidas thing, this is an industry thing. There's a pretty good reason the FBI didn't name Nike (since multiple coaches that were named are from Nike schools). This may turn out worse for Nike than Adidas.

Here's something interesting:

https://sports.yahoo.com/deep-will-...-college-sports-story-lifetime-220742127.html

So what happens if the indicted cooperate? How many Adidas schools could be impacted if Jim Gatto, the director of global sports marketing, tells all. Merl Code, another Adidas employee arrested and charged via the FBI probe, is a veteran of the Nike grassroots before going to Adidas. “He’s the key,” said a grassroots basketball source. “That’s what no one is talking about. He knows where all the bodies were buried at both Nike and Adidas.”

FBI is probably ordering extra coolers today for all the fish they're about to put on ice...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the link.

To be clear, the Miami asst was asking for $150K to keep Player 12 from signing with a school represented by a different apparel company. The full quote was, "and we're trying to keep him from going to one of their schools." I only say that because I didn't understand when I read your post and others might be as dumb as me. The other school was "University - 4" which is apparently Arizona, from unchecked internet source.

The coach and adidas rep were discussing whether or not the other school/company was actually coming up with the whole $150K or whether they could negotiate that number with Player 12, as well as whether the payment could be put off until 2018. Paragraph 46 refers to a desire to "negotiate the $150,000 asking price set by Player 12."

Discussion of Miami's (university - 7) attempt to keep Player 12 from committing to Arizona (university - 4) ends with discussion on or about Aug 19, and a commitment from Miami person to make sure it happens. On Aug 22, Nassir Little (who many are reporting as the most likely identity of Player 12) posted this on snapchat:

screenshot_20170822-223544-png.2771

Um, 8/22 is also the day GT announced our deal with Adidas....

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know that. I was trying to help @RonJohn work up to to the actual FBI charges. His trouble seems to be ethical recognition of what is going on and is a problem logically prior to recognition of the crimes alleged. The fraud is the primary crime being alleged and investigated. But at the root of the situation, ethically, is a system of bribery to induce recruit commitments.

So the document I was reading was the Gatto document. In it, there is no charge of bribery, which is what I was saying all along. After looking at media coverage of the coaches, it appears that they are indeed charged with bribery. However, I don't think it is related to recruiting. The bribery charges are for payments to the coaches to induce influence on the students to sign with agents and financial advisors.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
From what I'm hearing, Little is definitely player 12 in the report and Adidas is caught red handed here and at Louisville offering pay to play for agreement to sign with adidas after college. What we don't know is was the asking price set by the family or his aau coach who is known to be shady

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know that. I was trying to help @RonJohn work up to to the actual FBI charges. His trouble seems to be ethical recognition of what is going on and is a problem logically prior to recognition of the crimes alleged. The fraud is the primary crime being alleged and investigated. But at the root of the situation, ethically, is a system of bribery to induce recruit commitments.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...-ncaa-s-dirty-work-in-college-basketball-case

northgajacket

Banned
Wow. Pat Forde calling for UL's death penalty is saying a lot. He lives in Louisville, is a big fan of the program, and is personally a big fan of Rick. Hopefully all this will eventually lead to leveling the playing field for schools like Tech that can't compete against these tactics.

Louisville seems to be the University where morality goes to die.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, this may be the best written article so far.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deep-will-...-college-sports-story-lifetime-220742127.html

This quote in particular stood out.
Merl Code, another Adidas employee arrested and charged via the FBI probe, is a veteran of the Nike grassroots before going to Adidas. “He’s the key,” said a grassroots basketball source. “That’s what no one is talking about. He knows where all the bodies were buried at both Nike and Adidas.”

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
OK, I have been relatively busy today. Can someone please post stating which schools have been speculated or ID'd so far. Thanks

Coaches at USC, Arizona, Oklahoma State, and Auburn were arrested. The head of global marketing at Adidas was arrested. The papers have unnamed schools and people who were deciphered to be Louisville with regard to Brian Bowen, and Miami with regard to Nassir Little.

northgajacket

Banned
Coaches at USC, Arizona, Oklahoma State, and Auburn were arrested. The head of global marketing at Adidas was arrested. The papers have unnamed schools and people who were deciphered to be Louisville with regard to Brian Bowen, and Miami with regard to Nassir Little.

Thank You

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
The thing I don't understand is how is it a gov't investigation? Wouldn't the paying of players just be an NCAA issue or is there something that happened that cause the FBI to step in?