Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
In GT can't have nice things, Part 1534373535:

GT finally gets out of our laughing stock of an apparel contract and signs with a company making a meteoric comeback on the apparel scene.
GT is right in the mix of landing a signature elite recruit (and may still) that could stamp Pastner's captaining of our basketball program.

Then today happens...
Course Nike is just as dirty if not more.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Brutal and honest assessment from a poster on the Cards board:

"I don't care if people in Los Angeles California, Omaha Nebraska, or Albuquerque New Mexico look at this as a "national scandal". And I don't care if another 80 schools are eventually implicated. For us, right here, right now...this pertains to Louisville. And bottom line, we are royally ***ked. We committed pay-for-play NCAA violations, that were captured via wire tap. Let that sink in for a minute.

Pitino will be forced to resign within the next 48 hours. I will be shocked if Jurich isn't forced to do the same by weeks end. The NCAA is going to hammer us with penalties, possibly even the death penalty, because we're currently on probation for another scandal. Recruits are going to run for the hills, current players will transfer, and no coach is going to want to take over this disaster.

Some can try to spin it however they want, but this is going to set this Athletic Department back a decade, if not longer.

Beyond disgusted."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

He keeps intimating that he knew back then...

Was on the radio today suggesting he'd be surprised if some of this was initiated by the NCAA going to FBI for help since they have no subpoena power.

Was very outspoken against anyone caught with dirt. Basically said he knows of coaches who've been fired because they can't compete with these dirty coaches. Said it's THE reason he never returned to coaching.

Totally agree Fran knows something.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That Pitino statement has all the hallmarks of
'I will not be fired with cause and expect my $19MM if you think you are going to fire me, because I did nothing wrong'.
I understand this kind of statement from my days at the Bell System. It means, "I have walked my actions and responses through my attorney every step of the way. I am confident I have maintained a margin of deniability for all these sins."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For some reason I don't think Pitino has really processed that he's now going to deal with the FBI, not the NCAA. He's trying to coach a game that he doesn't understand the rules of.

Walk into those offices with that same blustering ego he used to punk the NCAA and he's in for a rude awakening.

These dudes don't bring charges they can't make stick and they don't do this shat for fun.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Walk into those offices with that same blustering ego he used to punk the NCAA and he's in for a rude awakening.

These dudes don't bring charges they can't make stick and they don't do this shat for fun.

You can stiff arm the NCAA because they have limited power, but you can't mess with the FBI. The NCAA is fighting with water guns while the FBI has nuclear options. Have fun with that one, Rick.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here is a link to the indictments

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/press-conference-advisory-2

So far I have only gone through U.S. vs James Gatto as that is the one that involves the schools (L'ville and Miami) and Adidas.

I think both of those schools are going to be firing asst coaches very soon.
If you start reading on page 14 - Section IV is the start of the investigation on the scheme that involved L'ville.
Player 10 is 5* Brian Bowen.
There is also a second player (Player 11) - class of 2019 discussed as being paid to go there.
It is also stated that at least 1 coach knows about the transactions.

Section V is the investigation of Miami.
They have Player 12 - class of 2018 that is arranged to receive $150K - because an unnamed Miami Asst says they have to up the offer from $100K to $150K to prevent the recruit from going to 'another school with their company'.

There are really 2 different schemes going on here.
One is the one above with schools getting recruits through a show company and the player also potentially signing with a specific agent.
The second scheme - which is where the 4 assts were arrested is the asst coaches steering the kids to sign with specific agents after being bribed by the agents to do so.

This is got to be a long term god send to the NCAA as this is all recorded info, stuff they normally wouldn't be able to get. L'ville is already on probation - this cannot help.
Miami has recruited really well the last few years, maybe we know why.

Thanks for the link.

To be clear, the Miami asst was asking for $150K to keep Player 12 from signing with a school represented by a different apparel company. The full quote was, "and we're trying to keep him from going to one of their schools." I only say that because I didn't understand when I read your post and others might be as dumb as me. The other school was "University - 4" which is apparently Arizona, from unchecked internet source.

The coach and adidas rep were discussing whether or not the other school/company was actually coming up with the whole $150K or whether they could negotiate that number with Player 12, as well as whether the payment could be put off until 2018. Paragraph 46 refers to a desire to "negotiate the $150,000 asking price set by Player 12."

Discussion of Miami's (university - 7) attempt to keep Player 12 from committing to Arizona (university - 4) ends with discussion on or about Aug 19, and a commitment from Miami person to make sure it happens. On Aug 22, Nassir Little (who many are reporting as the most likely identity of Player 12) posted this on snapchat:

screenshot_20170822-223544-png.2771