Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

slugboy

Staff member
Obviously there have been coaching changes in the ACC since this was published, but this fact still stands: Pastner is one of the lowest paid coaches in the ACC.

His last two years he has finished in the top half of the ACC, including finishing 4th this season with an ACCT win. You can make the argument that he deserves to be payed more than Capel, but I doubt we pay him that much. Somewhere in the 2.5-2.9 million range seems to be what he is worth if you take into consideration the last 2 seasons, and what's set up for this team in the next 1-3 years.

If there's an auto rollover feature in his contract, the entire GT administration needs to be fired. Obviously, that's a joke, but it's GT...so be wary...

EDIT:

Pastner's numbers the next 2 years barring a new contract:

Pastner is scheduled to earn $2.2 million in 2021-22 and $2.4 million in 2022-23
There are a lot of coaches in that $2-3 million range. At $2.2-2.4 million, Pastner moves up a good bit, and about even with Leonard Hamilton. Tony Bennett had the last national title before Baylor, and he's making $1.3 million more than Pastner, and is 4th on the list. Boeheim makes about $600k more than Pastner, and he's got an amazing history.
There are a couple of Roy Williams and Coach K paychecks that blow the curve, and I don't know what Capel did to get his salary (and kinda wondering with Keatts, too).
You could argue that all but the top 6-8 ACC coaches are underpaid for a P6 coach, but Pastner's pay is on par for a lot of P6 coaches who went to the tourney this year, including Alabama's coach (Oats), Arkansas' (Musselman), and Oklahoma State's (Boynton, $1.8 million).
NCAA basketball coaches salaries: Some of lowest paid making impact (usatoday.com)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Has he ever said Arizona is his dream job? Not all coaches want to go back to their alma mater to coach. Generally speaking I think there is more to lose than to gain in most cases.

That argument aside...I know Tech isn’t a power house dream job for many right now, but is Arizona really more attractive? Leave the ACC for the PAC12?

On a less serious note...anyone think the PAC12 lets the face shield fly? That should be reason enough to stay away

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of coaches in that $2-3 million range. At $2.2-2.4 million, Pastner moves up a good bit, and about even with Leonard Hamilton. Tony Bennett had the last national title before Baylor, and he's making $1.3 million more than Pastner, and is 4th on the list. Boeheim makes about $600k more than Pastner, and he's got an amazing history.
There are a couple of Roy Williams and Coach K paychecks that blow the curve, and I don't know what Capel did to get his salary (and kinda wondering with Keatts, too).
You could argue that all but the top 6-8 ACC coaches are underpaid for a P6 coach, but Pastner's pay is on par for a lot of P6 coaches who went to the tourney this year, including Alabama's coach (Oats), Arkansas' (Musselman), and Oklahoma State's (Boynton, $1.8 million).
NCAA basketball coaches salaries: Some of lowest paid making impact (usatoday.com)

You're not wrong. As Pastner's sports agent, it's his job to extract as much $$$ from GT as he can, but also make Pastner look as good as he can.

BTW, Nate Oats, and Boynton both recently signed extensions valued at $3+ million/year. Arkansas released a presser the other day saying Mussellman will also receive an extension. Mussellman is currently making $2.5 million, but will probably really close to if not exceed $3 million similar to Nate Oats.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good. This is clickbait type stuff that drives up bonuses and profit sharing for the team here. Keep negotiating CJP, wife is talking about a new car.

Wait, you guys are getting paid?!! I thought we were overpaying the mods when the pay was free! :)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Further, the idea of holding the fact that Tech stuck with him through Ron Bell over his head (which Pastner is proven to have done nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral) is kind of short sighted. If I were Pastner and TStan held that over me, and I stayed because I felt I owed him, I would subconsciously lose some motivation.

Instead TStan should address the fact that Pastner likes the idea of going back to his alma mater (he can relate). Make it known that that is perfectly fine, but then go with the approach of what can we do to make Tech feel like home? Be that salary, more resources, or whatever.

slugboy

Staff member
Further, the idea of holding the fact that Tech stuck with him through Ron Bell over his head (which Pastner is proven to have done nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral) is kind of short sighted. If I were Pastner and TStan held that over me, and I stayed because I felt I owed him, I would subconsciously lose some motivation.

Instead TStan should address the fact that Pastner likes the idea of going back to his alma mater (he can relate). Make it known that that is perfectly fine, but then go with the approach of what can we do to make Tech feel like home? Be that salary, more resources, or whatever.
He already has a supply of sweet, sweet, Adidas polos and dad shorts.

slugboy

Staff member
We just had our annual review and, while pay is frozen this year, we get bonuses based on the number of warnings we issue. @4shotB is way ahead this year.
Tonight Show Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You're not wrong. As Pastner's sports agent, it's his job to extract as much $$$ from GT as he can, but also make Pastner look as good as he can.

BTW, Nate Oats, and Boynton both recently signed extensions valued at $3+ million/year. Arkansas released a presser the other day saying Mussellman will also receive an extension. Mussellman is currently making $2.5 million, but will probably really close to if not exceed $3 million similar to Nate Oats.

Musselman gets 4