Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
the ACC has crucial decisions on the horizon as well if they want to maintain the belief that that are the best. First domino fell with Roy. K, Boeheim, Larranaga, Brey, Ham all coming soon. Not to mention it appears someone at Louisville doesn’t like Mack.

Do we beleive that Davis is a continuance at UNC? Is Gerry Mac? Charlton Young? Chris Caputo?

the league is about to enter a time of translation. The SEC handled theirs well, will the ACC?
Good god I hate auto-correct

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Todd Stansbury: Pastner, remember that $2.95 million you waffled on? It's now $2.5 million...leave it on the table, I dare you...

That would be a stupid way to approach the situation.

I mean, assuming that’s how it went down (I assume it is) it was a gamble for CJP to wait on the extension to see about Arizona when he had leverage, and now (supposedly) his leverage is gone. So yeah, the number should be lower.

Obviously we should be professional about it. And hard the fault the guy for listening to his alma mater. But I’d hope Stansbury is a good enough AD to not overpay a coach when we’re already cash-strapped.

slugboy

Staff member
Are you kidding? He dominated during the last 10 and led the program to the dance
I’m absolutely kidding
Brad Pitt Reaction GIF

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I mean, assuming that’s how it went down (I assume it is) it was a gamble for CJP to wait on the extension to see about Arizona when he had leverage, and now (supposedly) his leverage is gone. So yeah, the number should be lower.

You still need a working relationship after the extension and the last thing the AD wants to come across as is lowballing which is what would be happening in that situation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A few Pastner mentions. Looks like Arizona swung for fences (as all schools should), and guys like Stoudamire, Simon, Pastner were all fallbacks after missing out on bigger names then finally rounding back to Lloyd as has been rumored for a while. A little inference that Pastner was indeed interested to some extent.

Glad this saga is over and GT fans can move on. Very bright days ahead for this program and for all us fans.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
End of the day I would rather have coaches other schools are interested in versus coaches no one cares about. Even if it means you lose every now and then.

In reality his record right now isn't enough to be a prime candidate but hopefully next time he is toward the end of his contract he is a prime target. Then it is up to us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
End of the day I would rather have coaches other schools are interested in versus coaches no one cares about. Even if it means you lose every now and then.

In reality his record right now isn't enough to be a prime candidate but hopefully next time he is toward the end of his contract he is a prime target. Then it is up to us.

Yup. If a coach is getting chased by other schools, it's because a coach is doing a good job. If Pastner has the success we think GT will have over the next few seasons, I expect these situations will become a regular occurrence. That also means GT will be successful and have a higher profile...which means if we do have to replace Pastner, GT will have a better ability to attract a good replacement than when Pastner was hired.