Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Ex-Players want Stoudamire or Miles Simon, and don’t want Lloyd, according to this

Also, they’re calling the search “a debacle”
This is a debacle. But it’s also very tight lipped. If AU had moved on from Lloyd, would’ve expected something to leak by now ... I think?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is a debacle. But it’s also very tight lipped. If AU had moved on from Lloyd, would’ve expected something to leak by now ... I think?

Lot of prominent Arizona alums and ex players are "complicating" the coaching search.

Just be glad if Pastner leaves, the worst GT has to deal with are the "Why isn't Mark Price under consideration" questions. (<-- Sarcasm)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Not sure if it would have leaked - but if I was Lloyd and had options where to go I am not sure I take the AZ job given the pushback I am seeing in the press from the ex-players. That is a core constituency that on the surface would be hard to heal. If he walks away then the AD is either forced to take Stodameyer or moves on to a candidate that is a compromise who could be Pastner. On the other side, if I am Pastner and I do want to stay at GT, I am never going to have more leverage in the discussion than right now while I am "hot". If I wait for AZ to make a decision and it isn't me then I lose the leverage.

I still don't think CJP is the AD's real choice but I could see a scenario where he becomes the best of the available options. On another board the comment was the extension discussions at GT haven't progressed much and I will be really curious to see if that is the case and if it changes while AZ is mucking around.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't understand why we would make a move away from CJP right now. We are on a climbing trajectory and have finally seemed to have made our bones with recruiting and starting to build a personality as a team that focuses on aggressive, hard nosed defense that has an elegance to the way we switch that belies the blue collar, gritty nature of the way we play it.

Really, it's like the UVA O - where things look basic and simple but are really hard to teach and run without hiccups.

I just hope we don't screw around and get our coach poached without a REALLY good candidate lined up.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we don't screw around and get our coach poached without a REALLY good candidate lined up.

We aren't going to have a REALLY good candidate lined up. We likely wouldn't even if we knew the change was coming months in advance, much less this late in the process especially since we can't go full bore on the search because we don't know if we'll even have an opening.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why we would make a move away from CJP right now. We are on a climbing trajectory and have finally seemed to have made our bones with recruiting and starting to build a personality as a team that focuses on aggressive, hard nosed defense that has an elegance to the way we switch that belies the blue collar, gritty nature of the way we play it.

Really, it's like the UVA O - where things look basic and simple but are really hard to teach and run without hiccups.

Yeah, it feels like this program is finally out of the tunnel and walking in the sunlight. If everyone returns, this team will be one of the favorites to win the ACC, and will be set up talent-wise to be an NCAAT team for the foreseeable future. It also feels like Pastner and this staff have hit their stride in recruiting.

If Pastner leaves, we may lose guys to transfer/pros and the signed recruits will more than likely ask out of their NLIs until they can talk to the new coach. Our recruiting momentum will be halted and the new coach will have to start over again here.

Say what you want about Pastner's first 4 years and the drama with Ron Bell, but you can't deny he's turned this program around from where he found it, and we're finally heading in a direction where it's almost reloading and not feeling like an annual rebuild. How much money is it worth to pay Pastner market rate now as opposed to starting over and having to rebuild again...and a new coach being successful is NOT guaranteed. Pastner staying right now is the best scenario for GT on many fronts. Hard to believe from a year ago, but sometimes fans just have to have patience.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I don't think we have any intention of moving away from him, but I wouldn't want us to get stuck overpaying just because Arizona is sniffing around (and we don't know how serious their interest level is, anyway). If Arizona really really wants him in the end, the lesser of two evils would be to let him go rather than give him an overly generous extension, in my view. In other words, I hope he stays, but you can't get in a bidding war for him, based on his overall body of work.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't think we have any intention of moving away from him, but I wouldn't want us to get stuck overpaying just because Arizona is sniffing around (and we don't know how serious their interest level is, anyway). If Arizona really really wants him in the end, the lesser of two evils would be to let him go rather than give him an overly generous extension, in my view. In other words, I hope he stays, but you can't get in a bidding war for him, based on his overall body of work.
Don't disagree that we don't want to overpay, but better to overpay for a known quantity than overpay for an unknown. Also I don't wanna be starting a coaching search in the middle of April. He has leverage on us, so pay the man his money and let's keep this thing rolling.

Check, Check, Check.. all he does is check. Pay him, pay that man his money.

war football GIF

Check, Check, Check.. all he does is check. Pay him, pay that man his money.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Reading through their pay board discussions on him is wild. Torn between wanting to cheer them on in their hate of his resumé and my desire to correct people when they’re ill-informed (I’m not posting over there). But there’s not a single positive post about Pastner and surprisingly a lot of derision towards Tech.

Dream scenario is Pastner stays and we skull**** them in the tourney next year. That is if they can make it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Reading through their pay board discussions on him is wild. Torn between wanting to cheer them on in their hate of his resumé and my desire to correct people when they’re ill-informed (I’m not posting over there). But there’s not a single positive post about Pastner and surprisingly a lot of derision towards Tech.

Dream scenario is Pastner stays and we skull**** them in the tourney next year. That is if they can make it.
Laugh To No Mike Tyson GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Arizona fans have delusions of grandeur.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Also I don't wanna be starting a coaching search in the middle of April.

This is the biggest thing to me. If it's just a coaching change and we land a decent hire it won't be too bad. But if the change comes with an exodus (decommits, transfers, staying in the draft etc) then we are going to be severely behind the 8 ball both for recruiting and hitting the transfer market to deal with it.