Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You think Pastner is getting the AZ job?
Not really and I'm not totally convinced they're trying hard to get him, but if Lloyd is your choice and you delay firing Sean Miller to get him, how have you not locked him up by now?

Zona has been back channeling this for over a month and you're ****ing it up in the home stretch?

Pretty amazing.

Like, I know Pastner was like our 18th choice, but I think Sasquatch didn't plan ahead when he fired BG. Zona should be locked up already.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Not really and I'm not totally convinced they're trying hard to get him, but if Lloyd is your choice and you delay firing Sean Miller to get him, how have you not locked him up by now?

Zona has been back channeling this for over a month and you're ****ing it up in the home stretch?

Pretty amazing.

Like, I know Pastner was like our 18th choice, but I think Sasquatch didn't plan ahead when he fired BG. Zona should be locked up already.
Out of curiosity, and I apologize if you’ve mentioned it, who would you want GT to go after if Pastner does leave? Also, Arizona fans are going to be livid if it is Pastner.

slugboy

Staff member

Pretty amazing.

If you want to put on a tin foil hat and speculate, we’ve heard rumors that
  • Arizona has been testing the waters with Lloyd for a month
  • They fired Miller early to be able to get Lloyd before someone else did
  • Arizona’s AA doesn’t have a lot of money (per their fans)
  • Arizona “hasn’t made an official offer”
  • Three or four times so far, someone has said “the deal is done and will be announced”
  • Arizona is (reportedly) offering $2.4MM to $2.9MM, which is about what they were paying Sean Miller
  • The rumored pay package is just outside a top 30 pay range (USA Today NCAAMBB Salaries)
Either {a} the rumor mill is hot garbage (which is usually a good take) or {b} Arizona isn’t as hot for Lloyd as has been rumored, or {c} Arizona isn’t offering the contract Lloyd wants. There seem to be salary bands, starting with Xavier over $1MM, Pastner at #60 at $1.9MM, Nate Oats at Alabama #42 at $2.46MM, Shaka Smart’s TX salary #25 at $3MM, Fred Hoiberg #10 at Nebraska with $3.9MM, then you ramp up a lot in the top 3 with Jay Wright ($6.1MM), Duke ($7MM), and Calipari ($8MM).
There are a lot of openings. Lloyd should pick up interest somewhere else if Arizona doesn’t lock him down.

Edited to add: I left out a couple of options--1. Their AD and hiring process could just be slow. That happens with state universities. 2. Arizona may just be doing due diligence and be slower in putting the pieces together than we thought (and didn't get the headstart that a "month of backchannel communications" would imply). 3. Their AD and AA may just not be very good at the hiring process. 4. There may be more people involved in the interview process. I'm sure there are more.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
  • Three or four times so far, someone has said “the deal is done and will be announced”
  • Arizona is (reportedly) offering $2.4MM to $2.9MM, which is about what they were paying Sean Miller
  • The rumored pay package is just outside a top 30 pay range (USA Today NCAAMBB Salaries)
Either {a} the rumor mill is hot garbage (which is usually a good take) or {b} Arizona isn’t as hot for Lloyd as has been rumored, or {c} Arizona isn’t offering the contract Lloyd wants. There seem to be salary bands, starting with Xavier over $1MM, Pastner at #60 at $1.9MM, Nate Oats at Alabama #42 at $2.46MM, Shaka Smart’s TX salary #25 at $3MM, Fred Hoiberg #10 at Nebraska with $3.9MM, then you ramp up a lot in the top 3 with Jay Wright ($6.1MM), Duke ($7MM), and Calipari ($8MM).
There are a lot of openings. Lloyd should pick up interest somewhere else if Arizona doesn’t lock him down.

Edited to add: I left out a couple of options--1. Their AD and hiring process could just be slow. That happens with state universities. 2. Arizona may just be doing due diligence and be slower in putting the pieces together than we thought (and didn't get the headstart that a "month of backchannel communications" would imply). 3. Their AD and AA may just not be very good at the hiring process. 4. There may be more people involved in the interview process. I'm sure there are more.

Could also be fighting Gonzaga. Few isn't too old at 58, but maybe he doesn't want to coach too much longer and may have told Lloyd he's done in the next 3-5 years. Given what may come down on Arizona, it may take Lloyd 3-5 years to make that program "his". He also knows the lay of the land at Gonzaga and how to navigate it. Arizona is all new territory with administration and boosters he'll have to deal with. Gonzaga is the devil you know, with the players you've helped recruit and coached.

Lloyd's been rumored to be the guy even before they fired Miller, so I think it may be more administrative and contract details at this point. Lloyd has been picky about his choices, and from what I've read, he's had some good offers over the years. This will be the most leverage he'll have with both Arizona and possibly Gonzaga, so there's no shame if he wants to take his time and extract the most he can from a monetary and administrative standpoint.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOL!!!!

Meanwhile, CJP is up to #2 on their board because Stoudemire doesn't think he's getting it. Lloyd is still #1.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL!!!!

Meanwhile, CJP is up to #2 on their board because Stoudemire doesn't think he's getting it. Lloyd is still #1.

I ultimately think Pastner stays, but I think Pastner is a more serious candidate than GT and Arizona fans think. Until Pastner signs that rumored contract extension with us, then speculation about Pastner and Arizona may not be too far off. Everyone still remembers that contract extension that's been reported, right?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I ultimately think Pastner stays, but I think Pastner is a more serious candidate than GT and Arizona fans think. Until Pastner signs that rumored contract extension with us, then speculation about Pastner and Arizona may not be too far off. Everyone still remembers that contract extension that's been reported, right?

This is where I was once I heard AZ had an opening.

... oh, what's that? You want my 'list'? Well, let's just say I hope the new BC coach pulls a Pat Kelsey. :sneaky:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is where I was once I heard AZ had an opening.

... oh, what's that? You want my 'list'? Well, let's just say I hope the new BC coach pulls a Pat Kelsey. :sneaky:

You think Stansbury is ruthless enough to go there on a fellow ACC member?

Deleted member 2897

Getting back to this. I still think its a weird take to say every Tech fan should have Wes Miller as their top choice. Doesn't mean Wes Miller is a bad guy or a bad coach. I just think there are tons of other good options.

I have not put these in any particular order.
Mike Hopkins, Jon Scheyer, Chris Jans, Brian Michaelson, Isaac Brown, John Becker, Scott Nagy, Bob Rickey, Adam Cohen, Luke Murray, Joel Justus, Jordan Murray, Mike Rhoades, Kyle Neptune, Christian Webster, Gerry McNamara, Matt McMahon, Casey Alexander

Looking over this list briefly, I'd definitely have Wes in my top 5-7 options.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Getting back to this. I still think its a weird take to say every Tech fan should have Wes Miller as their top choice. Doesn't mean Wes Miller is a bad guy or a bad coach. I just think there are tons of other good options.

I have not put these in any particular order.
Mike Hopkins, Jon Scheyer, Chris Jans, Brian Michaelson, Isaac Brown, John Becker, Scott Nagy, Bob Rickey, Adam Cohen, Luke Murray, Joel Justus, Jordan Murray, Mike Rhoades, Kyle Neptune, Christian Webster, Gerry McNamara, Matt McMahon, Casey Alexander

Looking over this list briefly, I'd definitely have Wes in my top 5-7 options.
Luke Murray literally just got let go as an assistant lol

Deleted member 2897

Luke Murray literally just got let go as an assistant lol

He's currently interviewing with multiple programs to be a head basketball coach and consistently makes lists of top 10 coaches under age 40. At least one of the schools he's speaking with is also looking at Wes Miller, so LOL. Doesn't mean Luke should be at the top of our list (he wouldn't be on mine), but he's a very capable guy and I think we'll see that play out over the next few years.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

If Lloyd doesn't commit, it could be a grades issue.

Had to do it.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
He's currently interviewing with multiple programs to be a head basketball coach and consistently makes lists of top 10 coaches under age 40. At least one of the schools he's speaking with is also looking at Wes Miller, so LOL. Doesn't mean Luke should be at the top of our list (he wouldn't be on mine), but he's a very capable guy and I think we'll see that play out over the next few years.
He maybe a fine coach but GT shouldn’t be hiring assistants that were fired from anyone let alone another ACC team. Wes Miller has ACC ties and has won over 70% of his games the last few years it’s not really close as to who is a better candidate.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He maybe a fine coach but GT shouldn’t be hiring assistants that were fired from anyone let alone another ACC team. Wes Miller has ACC ties and has won over 70% of his games the last few years it’s not really close as to who is a better candidate.

I had no clue who Wes Miller was until he was brought up in this thread, but Wes Miller's last 5 year's at UNCG...holy crap. Good example of a coach that was given time to get his system and players in, and matured as a coach. I'm not sure you'll find a much better candidate that's currently a HC from a Non-P5 school that's "gettable" for GT. Bigger positive for him is that he's doing it in ACC territory in the South where GT will need to recruit.