Are you happy with Adidas?

• Yes

Votes: 339 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 8.9%

• Total voters

TheOldWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
Part of me wishes they waited to announce until after this season. I feel like the announcement just made the thought having Russell for one more football season so much worse. Oh well, maybe the jackets can send Russell off the right way as they finally lose their presence in CFB, not that they deserve it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Part of me wishes they waited to announce until after this season. I feel like the announcement just made the thought having Russell for one more football season so much worse. Oh well, maybe the jackets can send Russell off the right way as they finally lose their presence in CFB, not that they deserve it.
I think having adidas now helps with recruiting.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
In addition to the GSU unis I posted earlier (or maybe in the other adidas thread... please consolidate them!), Adidas also made these for specific GSU games.
gsu teachers.jpg

It's a throwback to GSU's days as "Georgia Teachers College" and they were awesome. I can see them doing something with the old "T" logo or the old school yellow jacket. Of course, most of the time, GSU rocks a very traditional, clean look, which Adidas is also very capable of:
gsu traditional.png

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, as long as the major announcement in the morning is that Addidas bought Russell out this year and we will be running out on national TV in 2 weeks in brand new Addidas gear, I will be ecstatic. Huge recruiting boon. Kinda funny they are announcing this 2 weeks before kickoff....just saying.

Make it so, Zod.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
FWIW, I like Adidas' uniform looks. The first four teams I looked up that they sponsor:
TAMU
Texas-AM-Football.jpg

Sharp

Miami
brad-kaaya-handoff-joe-yearby-1000-miami-hurricanes.jpg

Sharp

Arizona State
GettyImages-599069114__1472972935.jpg

Not bad

Indiana:
8840789-joey-bosa-zander-diamont-ncaa-football-ohio-state-indiana.jpg

Not bad.

These are all unis from last year, and I'm impressed. I think you guys won't go out there looking like clowns, at least.
Those Hoosier uniforms look really comfortable

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish we could know the offers from the 3 companies, but I doubt that will ever come to light. All we know so far is that Nike apparently wasn't willing to outfit the non-revenue sports. That's a no-go in my book (and apparently Stansbury's as well). Shows less of a committment to the school as a whole. Let's see what the pay and term is tomorrow.

I expect that Nike intended to skate on their name alone and that we'd come a-running. Glad we didn't, although I wanted UA. Adidas will be a good fit though.

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
UA was never even an option. They are in trouble finanicially from the contracts, among other things, with their current programs. Not sure I would want GT associated with a company that is struggling with their current obligations. Truth is GT isnt the program UA was looking for to help boost their bottom line. Our fanbase is small. UA needs a big donor base. Sorry if thats hard to hear.

But jusy wanted to adjust expectations based on the reality of who GT actually had a chance with. Not getting UA has more to do with UA not GT fumbling a deal.

Please let the pissing and moaning continue...

Good to know.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Mark Bradley: Georgia Tech allies itself with Adidas, which has always been cool
I’m older now, with no real dog in the apparel fight, but Georgia Tech allying itself with Adidas — or adidas, if we do as the company does and dispense with upper case — seems fitting and proper. Tech is not, as Tech folks will gladly attest, like most big-time athletic programs. It’s not the flagship school in its state, but darned if it doesn’t up and sink those flagships now and then. Tech isn’t the center, but sometimes it’s the bleeding edge. That’s a good thing.

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
Ignore the top contract on the list, they meant to put Under Armour for UCLA. In the top 65 contracts (as of 2016), Adidas has 9, Under Armour has 10, Nike has 45, and we were ranked at #47 with Russell ($2.3 mil per year). However, 6 of the 9 Adidas contracts are in the top 15. If we get the average contract (and they're all 5-10 years in length), we should be making about $5.7 mil a year. That's $3.4 mil more than what we are making now. If we make the median, it's $4.4 mil more. We're in a much larger market than Raleigh (NC State), so I could see us pulling a slightly better contract to NC State at around $6.5 mil.

Considering the fact that Nike has so many contracts out there and UA may have committed a bit too much to UCLA/Wisconsin/Notre Dame, I think Adidas was probably our best overall contract. Probably gets us the most effort to work on branding as well. Though of course they'll release the contract specifics as I type this and it will be around $3.0 mil per year.

Great info!