Are we sure Pastner is a good recruiter?

GT_EE78

Banned
I know that is supposed to be the guys strength, but doesn't he come off as a little odd? I work with a woman that is a friend of mine, and she has a son that is a high 4 star recruit for 2019, but he might be reclassifying to 2018. For months I've been telling her that he needs to go to GT... great education, need of a guy that can score the ball. He's a 2 guard. Anyway, this kid has offers from pretty much everyone, Kentucky, Kansas etc. and recently she said she thought she knew where he would end up, and I said "hopefully GT" and she said honestly Pastner is a horrible recruiter. He isn't personable, and he's a little weird. Really makes me wonder if the oddball that we see in interviews gives kids the same impression? I'm not sure if GT is a good fit for the kid, but he comes from a good home and his mother is a smart woman and she values education. No reason why he couldn't make it at Tech for a year or two. Makes me worried about pastner's ability to get high end players.
I think it's a great question and i'm not surprised at the responses.folks here are a bit optimistic but then what's a fan/alumni blog for anyways... Arizona and Memphis had great recruits but i doubt anyone has enough inside info to know how much was CJP versus Lute Olson/John Calipari influence. I just look at the numbers, CJP has 2 of 14 recruits better than a 3star- thats 14% . Gregory had 2 of 20 - 10% . Thats improvement. I had hoped for better last year but still that improvement is understated due to the timing of his arrival. ACC win percent at 39% versus 31% for Gregory is also improvement. star ratings aren't perfect but still are an objective metric. Red's formula for getting to the dance at year 4 sounds reasonable. Is he tryin to sneak a fifth year into his evaluation period for CJP?

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's a great question and i'm not surprised at the responses.folks here are a bit optimistic but then what's a fan/alumni blog for anyways... Arizona and Memphis had great recruits but i doubt anyone has enough inside info to know how much was CJP versus Lute Olson/John Calipari influence. I just look at the numbers, CJP has 2 of 14 recruits better than a 3star- thats 14% . Gregory had 2 of 20 - 10% . Thats improvement. I had hoped for better last year but still that improvement is understated due to the timing of his arrival. ACC win percent at 39% versus 31% for Gregory is also improvement. star ratings aren't perfect but still are an objective metric. Red's formula for getting to the dance at year 4 sounds reasonable. Is he tryin to sneak a fifth year into his evaluation period for CJP?
I don’t think you should include Pastners first recruiting class for either coach. I’m guessing you’re giving it to Pastner even though Gregory recruited them all.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Fans here are a bit optimistic? Do I have so many people blocked that I’m missing most of the content?

GT_EE78

Banned
I don’t think you should include Pastners first recruiting class for either coach. I’m guessing you’re giving it to Pastner even though Gregory recruited them all.
For Pastner's case that's a fair statement which i noted ,I don't recall Gregory's first year so i credited his first year frosh to him.(but Carter and Jackson weren't that year)
I did count Josh toward Gregory and Moore,Mathews,Price.McCormick to CJP . If you don't count those 4 for short schedule , then that bumps up CJP to 20% 4 star guys .Maybe that's a better way to look at it

GT_EE78

Banned
Fans here are a bit optimistic? Do I have so many people blocked that I’m missing most of the content?
Good question.I dunno. I do consider myself to to be slightly more optimistic than purely realistic (just from what i read on espn,cbs,fox,AJC, ,,,etc) but it seems to me that i read more optimistic things here. On the other hand, since i've never actually counted, maybe i'm reading the same folks over and over. I don't have anyone blocked .

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I think a large piece of recruiting is player development. Recruiting “coachable” players regardless of how talented is a critical piece. I like CJP’s progress of getting players on campus who also want to be developed. I def think he’s produced favorable results, particularly with where the brand was when he inherited the program.

freedomactradio

Georgia Tech Fan
If we are going with one-off anecdotes, then I’ll add mine to counter this:

Our daughters were in the same dance class this year. I spoke with him at a recital. He was super personable and engaging. Also, his wife is hot, so, yes, he can recruit.

Pastner's wife was a 5-star recruit, but I heard that it was Calipari who recruited her. He really sold her on the benefits of the Pastner experience. She was in love before the two even met. The first time I saw Coach Pastner do an interview, I thought he came off a little odd too. He seemed somewhat socially unaware to me, but I have no idea what he's like one of one when the cameras aren't pointed at him. The little red dot of a video camera can have a powerful effect on people when it turns on. I've seen some of the most engaging people off camera instantly transform into awkward messes as soon as the camera starts rolling. So who knows? I'm giving him the benefit of doubt for now.

I will say this. I think the Josh Pastner call in show is hilarious because he has a tendency to go on these tangential rants that have nothing to do with whatever question was just asked. It's always funny to me to listen to his co-host try to follow just exactly what Pastner is saying. One time last season for example, someone called or tweeted a question about whether or not the team would be using the full court press more in upcoming games. I think that was the subject of the question. Pastner started kind of talking about that, but quickly veered off into a 10 + minute rant about how great Moses Wright's legs are and how he needs to squat down and play low with those great powerful legs. And when I say 10 minutes, I'm not exaggerating. I was driving to Chick-Fl-A while listening. Moses Wright's great legs (Coach's words, not mine) were the only thing he talked about during the time it took me to get there. I parked, went inside, waited in line, ordered, waited for my food, and then went back out to my car. To my surprise, when I turned the radio back on, Pastner was STILL talking about how great Moses Wright's are. I have noticed that he seems to use a lot of misdirection when responding to questions about future game strategies and updates on players, which I don't mind at all. The less the opponent knows the better.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Pastner's wife was a 5-star recruit, but I heard that it was Calipari who recruited her. He really sold her on the benefits of the Pastner experience. She was in love before the two even met. The first time I saw Coach Pastner do an interview, I thought he came off a little odd too. He seemed somewhat socially unaware to me, but I have no idea what he's like one of one when the cameras aren't pointed at him. The little red dot of a video camera can have a powerful effect on people when it turns on. I've seen some of the most engaging people off camera instantly transform into awkward messes as soon as the camera starts rolling. So who knows? I'm giving him the benefit of doubt for now.

I will say this. I think the Josh Pastner call in show is hilarious because he has a tendency to go on these tangential rants that have nothing to do with whatever question was just asked. It's always funny to me to listen to his co-host try to follow just exactly what Pastner is saying. One time last season for example, someone called or tweeted a question about whether or not the team would be using the full court press more in upcoming games. I think that was the subject of the question. Pastner started kind of talking about that, but quickly veered off into a 10 + minute rant about how great Moses Wright's legs are and how he needs to squat down and play low with those great powerful legs. And when I say 10 minutes, I'm not exaggerating. I was driving to Chick-Fl-A while listening. Moses Wright's great legs (Coach's words, not mine) were the only thing he talked about during the time it took me to get there. I parked, went inside, waited in line, ordered, waited for my food, and then went back out to my car. To my surprise, when I turned the radio back on, Pastner was STILL talking about how great Moses Wright's are. I have noticed that he seems to use a lot of misdirection when responding to questions about future game strategies and updates on players, which I don't mind at all. The less the opponent knows the better.
I liked this post just for the chick-fil-a :cool:

GTFLETCH

Banned
I know that is supposed to be the guys strength, but doesn't he come off as a little odd? I work with a woman that is a friend of mine, and she has a son that is a high 4 star recruit for 2019, but he might be reclassifying to 2018. For months I've been telling her that he needs to go to GT... great education, need of a guy that can score the ball. He's a 2 guard. Anyway, this kid has offers from pretty much everyone, Kentucky, Kansas etc. and recently she said she thought she knew where he would end up, and I said "hopefully GT" and she said honestly Pastner is a horrible recruiter. He isn't personable, and he's a little weird. Really makes me wonder if the oddball that we see in interviews gives kids the same impression? I'm not sure if GT is a good fit for the kid, but he comes from a good home and his mother is a smart woman and she values education. No reason why he couldn't make it at Tech for a year or two. Makes me worried about pastner's ability to get high end players.
I am not sold on CJP!!! There is a reason Memphis was willing to dump him...We will find out!

GT11

GT Athlete
Memphis was a different type of players than what he’s recruiting at GT. They were uncoachable and most had baggage. Also staff here is better