Are we sure Pastner is a good recruiter?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I know that is supposed to be the guys strength, but doesn't he come off as a little odd? I work with a woman that is a friend of mine, and she has a son that is a high 4 star recruit for 2019, but he might be reclassifying to 2018. For months I've been telling her that he needs to go to GT... great education, need of a guy that can score the ball. He's a 2 guard. Anyway, this kid has offers from pretty much everyone, Kentucky, Kansas etc. and recently she said she thought she knew where he would end up, and I said "hopefully GT" and she said honestly Pastner is a horrible recruiter. He isn't personable, and he's a little weird. Really makes me wonder if the oddball that we see in interviews gives kids the same impression? I'm not sure if GT is a good fit for the kid, but he comes from a good home and his mother is a smart woman and she values education. No reason why he couldn't make it at Tech for a year or two. Makes me worried about pastner's ability to get high end players.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough, just wondering if we think he's a good recruiter or if he followed Callipari and had a trickle down effect... not like he could keep any of those guys around at Memphis anyway. I think it is a fair question. Maybe he'll land some big time guys in 2019 and that will answer it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
..... I wonder about this as well sometimes. We all know he's socially awkward so I don't know why it's supposed to be a stretch to state that he could be awkward in a recruiting scenario.

It's also not a stretch to suggest the results are MEM could be a little skewed by the residual Cal effect then MEM kids (that happened to be rated highly) going to MEM.

Long story long, it's not the craziest thought to have. But I do acknowledge it could've just been this one mom's impression.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Also, I wasn't trying to say that since we aren't getting this kid that he's a bad recruiter. I didn't think we would anyway since we probably got in a lot later than the SEC schools, but the comment about him being a bad recruiter and not being personable is what makes me worry about the next few years when he SHOULD be getting in with GA kids.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Aren't assistant coaches the primary contact for potential recruits?
I'm not sure how it works completely, but the lady I work with talks to several of the big time head coaches fairly often, and also has contact with assistants. At one point over the last couple of weeks she came by my desk and said " just got off the phone with Bruce Pearl" so she talks to head coaches, I'm sure assistants make arrangements for visits etc and do most of the communication though.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Normally it is assistant coaches who do most of the communication unless you are a damn 5 star recruit. You normally don't talk to the head coach until the visit or so.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm not sure how it works completely, but the lady I work with talks to several of the big time head coaches fairly often, and also has contact with assistants. At one point over the last couple of weeks she came by my desk and said " just got off the phone with Bruce Pearl" so she talks to head coaches, I'm sure assistants make arrangements for visits etc and do most of the communication though.

I think this lady knows you're a cbb fan and is trying to impress you so, the real question is, ..... is she hawt?

Secondly, I think it's clear what you need to do in order to secure this commitment for the program. How good a 'recruiter' are you? ;)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If the only HC calling was Pearl, then it was probably just a dead period ;)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We'll see.
He got a Top 50 recruit in the last class in Devoe - first time we've landed one of those in 6 years. Has a good shot at landing another Top 50 recruit this year in Watson.
So far the recruiting is going fine for me. He made it clear when he was hired he did not expect to be going after alot of one and done types and that he had learned at Memphis that just recruiting the most highly rated players wasn't always the best strategy, that you needed guys who wanted to be there and were willing to work hard and be good teammates.

His recruiting has progressed largely as I expected when he was hired. For better or worse, you just can't recruit anybody you want to when you coach GT, you have to recruit guys you can get through the Hill and guys who are likely to be able to deal with the courseload and not fail out.

Yrs 4 and 5 were always going to be the years were I ultimately judge Pastner's success at GT and whether he is a long term answer - that involves not only record on the court, but also how well recruiting is going and how things are going off the court as well.

Basketball HC's are usually involved very early on with the top couple of prospects they want in a class (such as Watson, or Little and Devoe last year) and less so with guys slightly further down the list who have more time with the assts.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I know that is supposed to be the guys strength, but doesn't he come off as a little odd? I work with a woman that is a friend of mine, and she has a son that is a high 4 star recruit for 2019, but he might be reclassifying to 2018. For months I've been telling her that he needs to go to GT... great education, need of a guy that can score the ball. He's a 2 guard. Anyway, this kid has offers from pretty much everyone, Kentucky, Kansas etc. and recently she said she thought she knew where he would end up, and I said "hopefully GT" and she said honestly Pastner is a horrible recruiter. He isn't personable, and he's a little weird. Really makes me wonder if the oddball that we see in interviews gives kids the same impression? I'm not sure if GT is a good fit for the kid, but he comes from a good home and his mother is a smart woman and she values education. No reason why he couldn't make it at Tech for a year or two. Makes me worried about pastner's ability to get high end players.

If we are going with one-off anecdotes, then I’ll add mine to counter this:

Our daughters were in the same dance class this year. I spoke with him at a recital. He was super personable and engaging. Also, his wife is hot, so, yes, he can recruit.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
We'll see.
He got a Top 50 recruit in the last class in Devoe - first time we've landed one of those in 6 years. Has a good shot at landing another Top 50 recruit this year in Watson.
So far the recruiting is going fine for me. He made it clear when he was hired he did not expect to be going after alot of one and done types and that he had learned at Memphis that just recruiting the most highly rated players wasn't always the best strategy, that you needed guys who wanted to be there and were willing to work hard and be good teammates.

His recruiting has progressed largely as I expected when he was hired. For better or worse, you just can't recruit anybody you want to when you coach GT, you have to recruit guys you can get through the Hill and guys who are likely to be able to deal with the courseload and not fail out.

Yrs 4 and 5 were always going to be the years were I ultimately judge Pastner's success at GT and whether he is a long term answer - that involves not only record on the court, but also how well recruiting is going and how things are going off the court as well.

Basketball HC's are usually involved very early on with the top couple of prospects they want in a class (such as Watson, or Little and Devoe last year) and less so with guys slightly further down the list who have more time with the assts.
Was that Pastner or DLaB who drove through a hurricane to land Devoe?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Apologies if my post offended. I hope Pastner is successful, I just thought it was interesting that she mentioned that he wasn't very personable. Hopefully, like others have mentioned, that isn't the case. In videos etc he seems awkward, and speaking to me at 26 would be different than speaking to me at 18, so hopefully he just diodn't relate to this one parent/student athlete and is relating with others especially in the Georgia area (we need to land some of those kids). He landed Devoe, it'll take probably 2 of those per year though to get where we all want to be unless the staff can do an incredible job of retaining and grooming guys and they all become great JR and SR college players. Go Jackets!