Are we sure Pastner is a good recruiter?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Im not sure if he is a good recruiter, but I think it is safe to say he is better than......some others. Alvarado was a great get (id like to point out again that I would have taken Jose over Alex Barcello all day everyday), Devoe is a really good get. Watson would be a big get. Disu would be a good get. I think Khalid Moore has a ton of potential. So far I have zero complaints given where we were a few short years ago.
Agreed.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
There are plenty of classes to take to get someone thru 1 year as long as there’s basic intelligence. Much harder to make progress towards graduation year over year.
Thats what I'm asking. I'm pretty sure the one and done guys leave as soon as the season is over. So for sure we have a better shot at a 5 star in basketball rather than football.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does it hurt APR if a kid drops out before end of 2nd semester but had good 1st semester grades?

I believe the answer to this is yes.
If they drop out and don't finish their classes they will be a negative toward APR as they started the classes but didn't finish them.

The bigger issue is often the HS grades and classes. I remember talking to a GT asst coach a decade ago. He mentioned that they would have a database of potential prospects. After they got the spring semester transcripts of the JR yr (often the first time they get official transcripts) they could generally remove 40-50% of the players in the database due to the transcript they received. Either the grades were too low or the kids didn't have the right classes to get into GT.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Does it hurt APR if a kid drops out before end of 2nd semester but had good 1st semester grades?
Yes. APR is a two-part test, and it is done by semester. The first part is whether the S-A would be eligible to compete the next semester under school and NCAA rules. The second part is whether they actually return, or graduate. These are binary yes/no questions, so an S-A who stays for the academic year can earn a total of 4 points towards the team APR, 2 per semester, assuming they return the next year or graduate.

If a 1AD player passes enough credit hours to be eligible the following year, and signs a contract to play professionally, the second semester “retention” point (returning) is waived, so the player would earn 3/3 points. If they leave without having enough credit hours to be eligible the next year had they returned, they would earn 2/4 points. Ignoring some complicating issues, these points and potential points are added for all of the scholarship team members, and the ratio is the APR.

(All of this is by memory, but I think this is roughly correct.)

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. APR is a two-part test, and it is done by semester. The first part is whether the S-A would be eligible to compete the next semester under school and NCAA rules. The second part is whether they actually return, or graduate. These are binary yes/no questions, so an S-A who stays for the academic year can earn a total of 4 points towards the team APR, 2 per semester, assuming they return the next year or graduate.

If a 1AD player passes enough credit hours to be eligible the following year, and signs a contract to play professionally, the second semester “retention” point (returning) is waived, so the player would earn 3/3 points. If they leave without having enough credit hours to be eligible the next year had they returned, they would earn 2/4 points. Ignoring some complicating issues, these points and potential points are added for all of the scholarship team members, and the ratio is the APR.

(All of this is by memory, but I think this is roughly correct.)
Thanks for the explanation.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe the answer to this is yes.
If they drop out and don't finish their classes they will be a negative toward APR as they started the classes but didn't finish them.

The bigger issue is often the HS grades and classes. I remember talking to a GT asst coach a decade ago. He mentioned that they would have a database of potential prospects. After they got the spring semester transcripts of the JR yr (often the first time they get official transcripts) they could generally remove 40-50% of the players in the database due to the transcript they received. Either the grades were too low or the kids didn't have the right classes to get into GT.

Wow not surprised.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of Labarrie, his leaving the program was a strange story and ending. Do you, are anyone else have the real story on why he was suspended and eventually left Tech?
Unfortunately I don't have any details on that. I remember there were rumors saying that he could potentially be brought back on staff but it was just that, a rumor.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting is like going on a date. There's some recruits Pastner is going to talk with and it's never meant to be. Either personalities clash or visions clash...sounds like your co-workers son might have had a similar experience with Josh. There are plenty of 4* and 5* fish in the sea and with Alvarado and now Michael Devoe, it's clear Pastner is capable of recruiting some of them.

It's almost hard to believe this thread even exists.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting is like going on a date. There's some recruits Pastner is going to talk with and it's never meant to be. Either personalities clash or visions clash...sounds like your co-workers son might have had a similar experience with Josh. There are plenty of 4* and 5* fish in the sea and with Alvarado and now Michael Devoe, it's clear Pastner is capable of recruiting some of them.

It's almost hard to believe this thread even exists.

Good points. Sorry for creating the thread lol, didn't think the question was that absurd. Hewitt brought in some big time players, that's what I grew up watching, so I was hoping Pastner could do a similar recruiting job, and also not suck at everything else coaching related like Hewitt. Maybe he will, I'm just a fan hoping for the best. Just passing along a random thought. I got my answer thouigh, most think he's a great recruiter, or at east adequate so far. Back to watching what Josh wears!

slugboy

Staff member
I will say that due to Pastner's recruiting successes at Memphis I thought we'd be in with more 4/5 stars already...2019 is a crucial class for the program IMO.
After Memphis Pastner seems to have moved to a "let's get players who are good and want to play" rather than "let's get the top rated kids we can get in and ignore the other factors". If we wanted 5 Lavar Ball social situations, I think we could get the star ratings of our class up.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
After Memphis Pastner seems to have moved to a "let's get players who are good and want to play" rather than "let's get the top rated kids we can get in and ignore the other factors". If we wanted 5 Lavar Ball social situations, I think we could get the star ratings of our class up.

This maturity is a sign that he *might* be a good recruiter...

/

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Great recruiter IMO, Jose and Josh are 2 of the best guards we’ve had in awhile, plus he signed Devoe this year, also Moses and Evan are gonna turn out to be pretty solid ACC bigs. To be a great Recruiter at Tech you don’t have to land 3-4 4 star players in a class, Pastner needs to find guys that fit our system and also a few big Fish from the state of Georgia. It’s unrealistic to expect him to sign a top 20 player at this point.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Great recruiter IMO, Jose and Josh are 2 of the best guards we’ve had in awhile, plus he signed Devoe this year, also Moses and Evan are gonna turn out to be pretty solid ACC bigs. To be a great Recruiter at Tech you don’t have to land 3-4 4 star players in a class, Pastner needs to find guys that fit our system and also a few big Fish from the state of Georgia. It’s unrealistic to expect him to sign a top 20 player at this point.

I wouldn't say great, yet. I'd say definitely solid with chance to go above that.