Film Room App St v uga 3 and out 1

PasadenaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Wake Forest is another good data point. GT and App State both played close games to Wake, so no scrubs played. App State's defensive performance was pretty similar to ours, despite App State never getting more than a couple of three stars a year.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
App's D played really well against UGA. Fromm made some good throws, and he hit one lucky lob early that was a split second from a sack and an inch from a pick.

The rest of it was Chubb/Michel running around or over guys who were in position but overmatched. Not a lot that a coordinator can do about that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
uga's punter was playing QB most of the second half of the App St game. They didn't put their scrubs in against us quite that early, and as always, were actively trying to embarrass us unlike their performance in the App St game. I wouldn't try to draw direct comparisons based on score/stats.

That being said, as @Longestday points out in the film, the D was aggressive and did well considering how vast the talent differential was.

Fwiw, georgie scored their 31st point in their ninth drive of the game with all their starters in.

They had nine drives in their game against us.

So, your reference to them playing their scrubs vs AppSt is completely beside the point when comparing the two Ds/games.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was one pass play where there was a LB blitz and a DL stunt at the same time. We didn't see that much in recent seasons. Lot's of shifting too. Additionally, there appears to be a premium put on getting upfield fast by the front 7 and jumping underneath routes, getting matched up asap. The safeties flew up from the secondary. All this contrasts stylistically with the "contain" defense we are used to seeing.

If I were were OC for UGAG (I just puked into my mouth) I would have gone double TE and just rammed ahead while mixing in a few play action throws after the defense needed to add numbers etc to get it stopped.

I like what I see. We need more more negative plays, plain and simple. I anticipate more run-outs, but I don't care. If we get an extra stop or two and keep TOP more consistently in our favor, it works for this offense we run.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
There was one pass play where there was a LB blitz and a DL stunt at the same time. We didn't see that much in recent seasons. Lot's of shifting too. Additionally, there appears to be a premium put on getting upfield fast by the front 7 and jumping underneath routes, getting matched up asap. The safeties flew up from the secondary. All this contrasts stylistically with the "contain" defense we are used to seeing.

If I were were OC for UGAG (I just puked into my mouth) I would have gone double TE and just rammed ahead while mixing in a few play action throws after the defense needed to add numbers etc to get it stopped.

I like what I see. We need more more negative plays, plain and simple. I anticipate more run-outs, but I don't care. If we get an extra stop or two and keep TOP more consistently in our favor, it works for this offense we run.
Boomer is alive???

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something that no one has brought up:

It's just as fun breaking down CNW's defensive tape as if we were breaking down CPJs offense. Something we've said before, oh, never.

Of course, the season hasn't started yet so it's a lot of hope and optimism. For some reason, I have a feeling that it's different this time. Here's the thing, we've actually recruited fairly well on the defensive side of the ball. A coaching staff that knows how to coach up and utilize players to their strengths will do wonders for the defense. I for one am glad to see a staff think outside of the box with personnel (like moving Jalen Johnson to a hybrid LB/SS role ).

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All new DB. 33 will be good! Also there is a very experienced DB from Wafford coming. Christian C has always been some one I was pulling to be great. Simmons has been good in pass coverage, and he needs to continue to improve in hitting/tackling in the open field.

I hear vibrations about some of the other younger players... proof is in the pudding.

We are really going to need some breakout talent here to keep GT on track.

Great to hear from @Boomergump

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
It might be a good sign for our safeties that Jalen Johnson was moved to OLB. The coaches have always had nothing but praise for him, so I’d think they have confidence in the guys left at safety.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Additionally, in terms of personnel, we are not a large or super physical defense, but rather, in my estimation, fairly athletic. So, a scheme like this makes sense, where we can fly around, apply pressure, and hopefully confuse opponents somewhat. You have to use what you have got in a way that makes sense. I think this defense will come closer to doing just that. From what I have seen, this ain't gonna be no two-gap 3-4 defense with a ton of space in front of defensive backs between receivers.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Fwiw, georgie scored their 31st point in their ninth drive of the game with all their starters in.

They had nine drives in their game against us.

So, your reference to them playing their scrubs vs AppSt is completely beside the point when comparing the two Ds/games.

Meh. If you want to compare the two games, then we held uga to 17 in the first half vs the 21 App St allowed. Both games had uga with 31 at the end of the third. The only difference in score really came when Fromm threw that bomb in the 4th Qtr. The big difference is that Fromm was playing his first collegiate game vs App St and when he played us had an entire season under his belt getting comfortable with the uga offense. My greater point stands, comparing individual game performance against mutual teams isn't the best way to judge a team. Too many variables have to be factored in for the comparison to really be valid.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Additionally, in terms of personnel, we are not a large or super physical defense, but rather, in my estimation, fairly athletic. So, a scheme like this makes sense, where we can fly around, apply pressure, and hopefully confuse opponents somewhat. You have to use what you have got in a way that makes sense. I think this defense will come closer to doing just that. From what I have seen, this ain't gonna be no two-gap 3-4 defense with a ton of space in front of defensive backs between receivers.

This. This is what gives me hope. I like Woody's D in the way he utilizes his talent and plays aggressively.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Meh. If you want to compare the two games, then we held uga to 17 in the first half vs the 21 App St allowed. Both games had uga with 31 at the end of the third. The only difference in score really came when Fromm threw that bomb in the 4th Qtr. The big difference is that Fromm was playing his first collegiate game vs App St and when he played us had an entire season under his belt getting comfortable with the uga offense. My greater point stands, comparing individual game performance against mutual teams isn't the best way to judge a team. Too many variables have to be factored in for the comparison to really be valid.

I appreciate you, but again your facts don't actually apply.

We "held" georgie to 17 pts in the first half when they had the ball 4 times, the last time being a FG drive which started on their own 30 with 34 seconds left in the half. They scored a TD on 2 of the their first 3 drives.

By comparison, AppSt allowed 21 pts in the first half in 7 drives.

So, while GT allowed over 4 pts/dr in the 1st half, AppSt allowed 3 ppd.

Your reference to points allowed in the first half might lead some to think that GT's D did better when really we did much worse.

Furthermore, while the QB change might be a factor in the comparison, it isn't a factor in the way you suggest. You say:
The big difference is that Fromm was playing his first collegiate game vs App St and when he played us had an entire season under his belt getting comfortable with the uga offense.​
The problem with this is that App St's D actually held Eason's O to two 3&out, before Fromm took over in the middle of the third drive.

So, Fromm's O using HUNH scored on the AppSt D about as well as they scored on GT's D. You saying that the big difference is Fromm's relative experience actually doesn't make sense to me. Fromm did better against AppSt's worn-down D than they he did against GT.

Fwiw, I agree with what you say is your "greater point," that one game comparisons aren't the best way to judge a team. I do think that they provide good data to inform your judgment.

However, such comparisons must be done smartly and not by just putting out facts that don't actually apply.