Film Room App St v uga 3 and out 1

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@AE 87 you have some great points....

Other questions and points
  • Players... App St star power was a lot lower than GT
  • App allowed 232 in 7 drives and GT allowed 190 yards in 4 drives in first half

I will say first games favor the defense.

If you do the same analysis of the WF game you will see the same thing.

GT allowed 2.2 ppd and WF had 362 yards in 11 drives
App State allowed 1.4 ppd and WF had 344 yards in 14 drives

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that it’s difficult to compare performances even against common opponents because there are varying circumstances such as opponents not talking App State seriously. I think Woody will be able to do a lot with the players we have. My hope is that he won’t let early failures change his philosophy. I felt like Ted Roof was fairly aggressive in 2013 and used different formations in 2014 to keep opponents guessing, but he got really conservative after that, and his predictability really hamstrung the defense. I can’t help but wonder whether the 2013 Clemson game, where Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins took the top off, had a lasting effect on Ted’s aggressiveness.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I appreciate you, but again your facts don't actually apply.

We "held" georgie to 17 pts in the first half when they had the ball 4 times, the last time being a FG drive which started on their own 30 with 34 seconds left in the half. They scored a TD on 2 of the their first 3 drives.

By comparison, AppSt allowed 21 pts in the first half in 7 drives.

So, while GT allowed over 4 pts/dr in the 1st half, AppSt allowed 3 ppd.

Your reference to points allowed in the first half might lead some to think that GT's D did better when really we did much worse.

Furthermore, while the QB change might be a factor in the comparison, it isn't a factor in the way you suggest. You say:
The big difference is that Fromm was playing his first collegiate game vs App St and when he played us had an entire season under his belt getting comfortable with the uga offense.​
The problem with this is that App St's D actually held Eason's O to two 3&out, before Fromm took over in the middle of the third drive.

So, Fromm's O using HUNH scored on the AppSt D about as well as they scored on GT's D. You saying that the big difference is Fromm's relative experience actually doesn't make sense to me. Fromm did better against AppSt's worn-down D than they he did against GT.

Fwiw, I agree with what you say is your "greater point," that one game comparisons aren't the best way to judge a team. I do think that they provide good data to inform your judgment.

However, such comparisons must be done smartly and not by just putting out facts that don't actually apply.

These are all fair points, but I still think it's a fools errand to compare based on one game. If Woody had come from a bigger school, I might be more inclined to agree, but uga was never in any danger of losing that game against App ST. As others have stated, uga was playing "cute" and not running the ball early the way they would against a more dangerous opponent. We are often guilty of that ourselves. After all, the benefit of playing a cupcake is you can work on stuff with no real risk. I doubt seriously that, in spite of what uga fans will say, that they were using our game as any kind of "tune up" for the SECCG.

Again though, I am optimistic about Coach Woody and his ability to turn our D around.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
These are all fair points, but I still think it's a fools errand to compare based on one game. If Woody had come from a bigger school, I might be more inclined to agree, but uga was never in any danger of losing that game against App ST. As others have stated, uga was playing "cute" and not running the ball early the way they would against a more dangerous opponent. We are often guilty of that ourselves. After all, the benefit of playing a cupcake is you can work on stuff with no real risk. I doubt seriously that, in spite of what uga fans will say, that they were using our game as any kind of "tune up" for the SECCG.

Again though, I am optimistic about Coach Woody and his ability to turn our D around.

Cool. Like I said, my main reason for responding to you was that I disagreed with your use of data.

I agree that one game comparisons can't tell the whole story. We may disagree in that I think they may contribute to the story.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
After the pass is thrown , notice how fast the dl guys peel back to head down field. Hair on fire!

Really like the effort shown in those clips. I noticed some other players get up and keep pursing after missing a tackle or getting blocked. Seems to correlate with some of the player comments this year about Woody’s emphasis on going 100% every play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk