Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Oh please, tell me the current AD won't be a part of the search because he is being relieved.

As for the FUD being spread about losing the current AD's alleged fundraising prowess, let me remind that donations for capital improvements are much easier to secure over operational costs (coaches' salaries and buyouts) since it results in something tangible and permanent, where names can get etched on buildings. Any AD worth oxygen can raise the same amount in a capital campaign, especially if they've been provided with such an attractive project to sell to donors. I don't see any exceptionalism in the current AD, and he didn't conceptualize it, or design it. The donors aren't giving because the AD is some gifted or inspirational salesman (he's Alfred E. Neuman without the sense of humor), they're giving because the project is so attractive and has long term value for Tech, unlike funding the black hole vacuum for the current AD's really poor decisions and lack of leadership..
Toad won’t be involved because he will be unemployed and sitting on his sofa.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think the knock on the FCS coaches and specifically Chadwell, is the recruiting side. Can those FCS guys tackle the academic challenges and the hill at tech? Who knows. The concern with a FCS guy is they can take about anyone they want without an issue, that’s not the case at the P5 level and especially Tech. McGee would recruit his *** off here and has those necessary connections to the state. He’s a no non sense type of guy unlike Collins. Chadwell has no ties to this state so that’s a bigger knock on him. We most likely need a guy who has ties to the state of GA in some way.

More importantly, is he a Waffle House, guy or a Varsity guy?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Dell won a state championship as a HC in the state. McGee was 88-19 as a HS head coach, six region championships. He restored a Carber program in 2005 that had not had a winning season in the 9 years before that and had never finished a season with double digit wins in its program history. Was a 2 time State of Georgia coach of the year in 2007 and 2008. He was the interim coach at Georgia Southern and won their bowl game for them. He also has been an assistant coach before. The head coach side of things isn’t a totally new venture for him with being one at the HS level and being a assistant coach and handling duties that are similar to a HC while being in that AHC role while at uga.
State championship is ok but I lived in Columbus and that region is very weak.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Not gonna lie, im a little dubious of stats and recruiting prowess while coaching at elite programs. See our current OL coach for an example. If it's him though, so be it. Ill support him.
As soon as Key took off that Alabama polo he all of a sudden was not a good recruiter or coach. He is the blame almost as much as Collins for the state of this program.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
As soon as Key took off that Alabama polo he all of a sudden was not a good recruiter or coach. He is the blame almost as much as Collins for the state of this program.

I mean, this parallels the adulation going on about McGee, re developing running backs at uGa: it has to be considered that these places are already getting the best of the best out of high school and that the school itself is very literally its own best recruiter. So I would be far more enamored with a coach that built something from nothing.. since that’s essentially where we’re at.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree Key is useless, but isn't Collins responsible for bringing him here?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mean, this parallels the adulation going on about McGee, re developing running backs at uGa: it has to be considered that these places are already getting the best of the best out of high school and that the school itself is very literally its own best recruiter. So I would be far more enamored with a coach that built something from nothing.. since that’s essentially where we’re at.
I lol'd at this....we are so deperate for a change that anybody who isn't CGC but yet has a worse resume than CGC is apparently a good candidate.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
To bookend my post a moment ago, I believe the success of a program is a three-ingredient recipe: 1 part, quality of the coaches; 1 part, natural ceiling of the players; 1 part, commitment/work ethic of the players. So in the end the players have the greater effect on the results.

To explain this in my own experience: I am a musician; and most of you if you heard me would say I am very, very good. But I know that I’m just above-average in the greater landscape — I have a natural ceiling. And I worked hard in college (harder than most football players, and most musicians have to do), but no matter how many daily hours of practice (4-8hrs) there were works technically out of reach. My teacher wasn’t great, but you could have put me in Julliard and I know I wouldn’t have improved that much. I just wouldn’t have — my limit is due to my natural ceiling.

We can all think of players at Tech that had these varying levels of natural ceiling and/or overwhelming work ethic. Gibbs, Thomas, Gotsis, et al. And our best seasons are always the ones where we had enough players with enough of either of these qualities, and coach who at least didn’t drag the overall success.

I just believe that currently we’re lagging in all three categories, where the coach can’t make up for the players and the players can’t make up for the coach.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The “surrounding him with million dollar coordinators” thing really underestimates the market. We’re paying Chip Long $1.65/2 years. South Carolina pays their DC, a guy named Clayton White, $1.1million. Michigan State pays their TE coach $900k. A million bucks gets you adequate coordinators these days, maybe. The model really only works if you are able to shoot for the $1.5-$2 range these days which we don’t have. We’re in this mess because of how broke we are.
Bringing us up to par with our peers in assistants' salaries would require just a small fraction of the money donated to these funds to be donated instead toward them. Just a small fraction:

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree Key is useless, but isn't Collins responsible for bringing him here?
Key and Collins are best buddies. There was a press conference back when they first got hired when Key was talking about how he quit his corporate Job after a few months after Collins called him and asked him if he wanted to join him at Western Carolina and Key packed his bags and joined him.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
To bookend my post a moment ago, I believe the success of a program is a three-ingredient recipe: 1 part, quality of the coaches; 1 part, natural ceiling of the players; 1 part, commitment/work ethic of the players. So in the end the players have the greater effect on the results.

To explain this in my own experience: I am a musician; and most of you if you heard me would say I am very, very good. But I know that I’m just above-average in the greater landscape — I have a natural ceiling. And I worked hard in college (harder than most football players, and most musicians have to do), but no matter how many daily hours of practice (4-8hrs) there were works technically out of reach. My teacher wasn’t great, but you could have put me in Julliard and I know I wouldn’t have improved that much. I just wouldn’t have — my limit is due to my natural ceiling.

We can all think of players at Tech that had these varying levels of natural ceiling and/or overwhelming work ethic. Gibbs, Thomas, Gotsis, et al. And our best seasons are always the ones where we had enough players with enough of either of these qualities, and coach who at least didn’t drag the overall success.

I just believe that currently we’re lagging in all three categories, where the coach can’t make up for the players and the players can’t make up for the coach.
I'm sure your musicianship is on another plane compared to mine, but I know just what you mean. I played a cornet in high school and really worked to make myself better. Took lessons and practiced hard. But I finally realized that no matter how hard I tried, I wasn't going to get appreciably better. My lip wasn't going to get stronger, my tongue wasn't going to move faster, and my technique wasn't going to get any more coordinated. I had hit my ceiling.

Yes, we're lacking in all three areas, but it is the coaches' responsibility to bring the players in, develop them, and both inspire and demand their commitment/work ethic. A football team is like an orchestra; the coach is analogous to the conductor. Individual talents have to be maximized, but also melded together to play as a team. Our coaches are doing an exceptionally poor job in both categories as well as inspiring commitment.