Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
From watching a similar “firing a coach you can’t afford to fire” situation, it’s a strong YES it leaves you in a worse situation.

(If it didn’t, Collins would already be gone)

The “fire now” option relies on money coming in that doesn’t come in. Basketball did not return to the good old days when Gregory took over. We had the debt + sub-par recruiting + no excitement + no post seasons for years. Before, we just had no excitement and no post-season.

Unless one of our assistants turns into the second O’Leary (which was not an instant turn around), we’re looking at lots of pain. That extra 3 million dollars might be really important.
I might agree with this if the buyout dropped at the end of the season. There's just no way we can wait till Jan 1 to hire a new coach. That shrinks the candidate pool dramatically and absolutely kills early recruiting.

Todd needs to be fired for that clause alone, and Tech needs to hire some actual attorney's who watch college football to review contracts.

TripleTGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not a contract law expert by any means, but I'm feeling like there's got to be some good ground for the performance Collins has put up not satisfying the 'good faith' underpinnings of contract law.

Hopefully the only good that will come out of this will be a Collins clause in future sports contracts, something to the tune of a cumulative total wins during his tenure - IE if the coach becomes delinquent the contract terms and buyouts follow suit. IE:
  1. End of Season 1: 3 total wins
  2. End of Season 2: 7 total wins (+4)
  3. End of Season 3: 12 total wins (+5)
If at any point hitting those metrics becomes impossible, the buyout is significantly reduced/eliminated. This allows for off years provided there's still performance overall - coach goes for a 7-5 season in year one but only makes 4 wins in year 2 he's not automatically canned.

This is like me setting up a client contract and just completely ignoring the scope of work and still billing for it in full.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

According to Danny Kanell's podcast, buyout drops after Jan 1. Someone please correct me if I am wrong

If this is correct and the buyout doesn't decrease until January 1st, Stansbury should be let go today and any lawyer we used to write this contract should never be used by Georgia Tech again. That would just be a horribly written contract that would put us in a poor financial condition and behind every other school looking for a new coach. Horrible if true.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a contract law expert by any means, but I'm feeling like there's got to be some good ground for the performance Collins has put up not satisfying the 'good faith' underpinnings of contract law.

Hopefully the only good that will come out of this will be a Collins clause in future sports contracts, something to the tune of a cumulative total wins - IE if the coach becomes delinquent the contract terms and buyouts follow suit. IE:
  1. End of Season 1: 3 total wins
  2. End of Season 2: 7 total wins (+4)
  3. End of Season 3: 12 total wins (+5)
If at any point hitting those metrics becomes impossible, the buyout is significantly reduced/eliminated.

This is like me setting up a client contract and just completely ignoring the scope of work and still billing for it in full.
I don’t even think it has to be that specific. Our mistake was in signing into a contract in which the only party that could ever be found in breach of contract was Tech.

If ever a coach was in breach of contract it is Collins.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm still not sure why many here assume that we have zero donor support for this.
  1. Because we’ve seen promised money evaporate when the bill came due, in recent memory
  2. I just brought up the Hewitt funding that never showed up and the consequences
  3. Insufficient and zero are different.
  4. Our largest giving society is Golden Jackets, at $1 million cumulative lifetime giving. Clemson’s is $2.5 million for a gift (seems like a one-time gift of $2.5 million)
  5. In comparison, Auburn has an individual $57 million donation. The closest I can find for Tech is the $10 million challenge grant for the Edge center.
  6. To sum it up, I do not see a history at Tech for multi-million dollar donations, especially towards buying out a coach’s salary. Excuse me if I’m in a “prove it” state of mind today, but I’d like to see more than one anonymous source from Suguira
If we have lots of multi million dollar donations, we’re quiet about them.

If someone put up a challenge grant of $10 million for the buyout for us to match, my doubts would go away.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It didn't used to be an advertisement for campus life. It used to be about arete, the pursuit of excellence.
Are u in the side for
"Onward to the Patriot League"?
Arete is a word i learned from my son as he got his phd in philosophy.
He taught it at baylor and said he only v had one student that was talanted. He was a wr on baylor football that gave up scholarship to harvard so he could be on team.

The ""high mountain""of college football has become a free enterprise zone w no standards.

Our prez attended and conducted meeting as prez of NCAA board of governors. Wow they were real examples of leadership. The high mountain was where wise leaders lived and dispensed direction.

Without a great leader at the top of gt, football as a thing of pride at gt will just quietly fade away .

A new coach is the least of our problems

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
If it’s gone as far as the media roasting Collins, would it be that bad to just start a public buyout fund? We either reach the 10 or 7 million needed depending on when we fire, or everyone gets their money back? I know we can send money in whenever, but I always feel like the visible crowd fund-
1. Shows everyone, tech or not, what the fan base expects when we invest in things like tickets.
2. Shows whether the AD will actually make a change if the money is there, or keep irrational ties with coaches
3. Potentially speeds up money raised with a visual of how close we are?

Every tech fan and their mother knows tech is at its worst. How bad would it be to show that we’re not okay with it?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t even think it has to be that specific. Our mistake was in signing into a contract in which the only party that could ever be found in breach of contract was Tech.

If ever a coach was in breach of contract it is Collins.
Hired many consultants and worked as a consultant where they company took all the breach.

I could not get quality without. They had what i needed.

The error was in not having a vehicle for a better buy out. We rushed hiring cgc and his staff after not being given plenty of notice by head coach. Head coach had old guys and new yohng coach hired young guys - w premiums over their present salaries.

A quick transition of scheme was not possible, therefore the quick hiring of a new staff was an unforced rookie mistake. Tstan could have slow played and done much better for gt and for cgc.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
  1. Because we’ve seen promised money evaporate when the bill came due, in recent memory
  2. I just brought up the Hewitt funding that never showed up and the consequences
  3. Insufficient and zero are different.
  4. Our largest giving society is Golden Jackets, at $1 million cumulative lifetime giving. Clemson’s is $2.5 million for a gift (seems like a one-time gift of $2.5 million)
  5. In comparison, Auburn has an individual $57 million donation. The closest I can find for Tech is the $10 million challenge grant for the Edge center.
  6. To sum it up, I do not see a history at Tech for multi-million dollar donations, especially towards buying out a coach’s salary. Excuse me if I’m in a “prove it” state of mind today, but I’d like to see more than one anonymous source from Suguira
If we have lots of multi million dollar donations, we’re quiet about them.

If someone put up a challenge grant of $10 million for the buyout for us to match, my doubts would go away.
I still think you are making a jump by just assuming we no longer have donor support. I would never argue that we have support at the level of Auburn or Clemson. Auburn paid a 21 million dollar buyout without blinking an eye. That will never be us. But to say we can't raise 3 million when the program is in shambles, is a stretch to me. If your assumption is true then I think its pretty much a certainty that Collins is the head coach in 2023. How would we have money for the rest of the buyout if we are handcuffed on 3 million?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I still think you are making a jump by just assuming we no longer have donor support. I would never argue that we have support at the level of Auburn or Clemson. Auburn paid a 21 million dollar buyout without blinking an eye. That will never be us. But to say we can't raise 3 million when the program is in shambles, is a stretch to me. If your assumption is true then I think its pretty much a certainty that Collins is the head coach in 2023. How would we have money for the rest of the buyout if we are handcuffed on 3 million?

He didn't say we have none. He said it was insufficient. That was point 3...

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Are u in the side for
"Onward to the Patriot League"?
Arete is a word i learned from my son as he got his phd in philosophy.
He taught it at baylor and said he only v had one student that was talanted. He was a wr on baylor football that gave up scholarship to harvard so he could be on team.

The ""high mountain""of college football has become a free enterprise zone w no standards.

Our prez attended and conducted meeting as prez of NCAA board of governors. Wow they were real examples of leadership. The high mountain was where wise leaders lived and dispensed direction.

Without a great leader at the top of gt, football as a thing of pride at gt will just quietly fade away .

A new coach is the least of our problems
I totally agree with you. A new coach and even a new AD will not solve the problem. We need a man at the top - the president - who understands the pursuit of excellence.

We need a renewed perspective, that includes the belief that college is not for everyone. We need to return to our academic standards of the 50s.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I totally agree with you. A new coach and even a new AD will not solve the problem. We need a man at the top - the president - who understands the pursuit of excellence.

We need a renewed perspective, that includes the belief that college is not for everyone. We need to return to our academic standards of the 50s.

So what you need is a wholesale societal shift in how the relationship between higher education and athletics is perceived...

slugboy

Staff member
I still think you are making a jump by just assuming we no longer have donor support. I would never argue that we have support at the level of Auburn or Clemson. Auburn paid a 21 million dollar buyout without blinking an eye. That will never be us. But to say we can't raise 3 million when the program is in shambles, is a stretch to me. If your assumption is true then I think it’s pretty much a certainty that Collins is the head coach in 2023. How would we have money for the rest of the buyout if we are handcuffed on 3 million?
1. It’s an ADDITIONAL or marginal $3MM that someone needs to come up with
2. We will either have promote from within or have to fund a competitive coaching staff, so it’s more than $3MM.
3. Please look at the Brian Gregory years in basketball to see if firing a coach is enough—it isn’t