Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Anything is possible but I can’t see this. Collins knew at the end of last season that this year had to be a massive improvement. He knew he was coaching for his job and that everything was going to be under a microscope. I don’t know why ADTS would tell him before the season that he would not be retained. Not that anyone is out to sabotage but you can’t possibly expect to get full effort.
ADTS cant say something to the effect of “CGC is our guy...” to the public and then turn around and say to CGC, “sorry, the decision has been made... we’re letting you go at the end of the season, but here’s one more year in the sun! Go get em big guy! we’re all super excited to see what you can do!”
Maybe he looked around the practice field and said....I’m a goner. Or Someone told him he better not get blown out at home. Or maybe he actually can take a hint.

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn't intend for that to be my first post. I was sending a test script and forgot about it as I was signing up to join the forum and realized it was posted after I confirmed the email. oops! lol

slugboy

Staff member
Does the alternative leave us in a worse position?
From watching a similar “firing a coach you can’t afford to fire” situation, it’s a strong YES it leaves you in a worse situation.

(If it didn’t, Collins would already be gone)

The “fire now” option relies on money coming in that doesn’t come in. Basketball did not return to the good old days when Gregory took over. We had the debt + sub-par recruiting + no excitement + no post seasons for years. Before, we just had no excitement and no post-season.

Unless one of our assistants turns into the second O’Leary (which was not an instant turn around), we’re looking at lots of pain. That extra 3 million dollars might be really important.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I didn't intend for that to be my first post. I was sending a test script and forgot about it as I was signing up to join the forum and realized it was posted after I confirmed the email. oops! lol
Reasoned, profound, unassailable and wholly appropriate.
Post #1 = success.
No sweat! Welcome! (y)

CEB

Helluva Engineer

According to Danny Kanell's podcast, buyout drops after Jan 1. Someone please correct me if I am wrong

There have be a whole lot of posts wading through this topic but I believe that’s where we landed also.
Someone had posted what they believed to be the contract and one of the definitions stated that “year” if not otherwise defined would follow Jan 1- Dec 31.

Collective groan...

I have to assume that the attorneys drafting threw in that little bit of “standard language” which would be applicable to 99.9% of agreements they draft but should’ve been pulled from a contract where seasons clearly don’t coincide calendar year. If that language is really in there and correct and applicable (not modified elsewhere), it had better be near the top of the list of things not to do the next time around...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
From watching a similar “firing a coach you can’t afford to fire” situation, it’s a strong YES it leaves you in a worse situation.

(If it didn’t, Collins would already be gone)

The “fire now” option relies on money coming in that doesn’t come in. Basketball did not return to the good old days when Gregory took over. We had the debt + sub-par recruiting + no excitement + no post seasons for years. Before, we just had no excitement and no post-season.

Unless one of our assistants turns into the second O’Leary (which was not an instant turn around), we’re looking at lots of pain. That extra 3 million dollars might be really important.
I'm still not sure why many here assume that we have zero donor support for this.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
According to some who have viewed it, Jan 1 2023. Won't that be a fun wait?
Is there an incentive for Collins to negotiate an early exit? He could also get in on the coaching carousel if he left early enough. Unless he wants a paid year off I guess :) Just seems like an early November exit could be something that could be negotiated to the benefit of both parties if you tried hard enough.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Not true. This board is turning into a mob calling for CGCs head and no amount of logic is going to change anyone's mind.
Tech football has never been this low. This is beyond grim.

I hope the GTAA has a plan to save football because the current trajectory ends the program.
The tipping point has been reached and the Collins era will soon be over. Patience, grasshoppers…

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there an incentive for Collins to negotiate an early exit? He could also get in on the coaching carousel if he left early enough. Unless he wants a paid year off I guess :) Just seems like an early November exit could be something that could be negotiated to the benefit of both parties if you tried hard enough.
I imagine it may be best for CGC to lay low a year or so, spend quality time with his family, and then look for a job in a year or two.

There have be a whole lot of posts wading through this topic but I believe that’s where we landed also.
Someone had posted what they believed to be the contract and one of the definitions stated that “year” if not otherwise defined would follow Jan 1- Dec 31.

Collective groan...

I have to assume that the attorneys drafting threw in that little bit of “standard language” which would be applicable to 99.9% of agreements they draft but should’ve been pulled from a contract where seasons clearly don’t coincide calendar year. If that language is really in there and correct and applicable (not modified elsewhere), it had better be near the top of the list of things not to do the next time around...
Thanks for the clarification! I thought I saw that somewhere but wasn't sure.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So here is absolute and pure speculation... I have ZERO inside knowledge. Perhaps a deal was done which would allow Collins to coach out the season in exchange for the buyout to drop after the season ends rather than in January?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There are many situations where it is in the best interest of all to set aside the original contract and replace it with something agreeable to both parties. For example, Tech could offer Geoff a job for 14 more years as "Executive Director of GTAA Food and Beverage Operations" and just pay him $800,000 a year until then unless he pursues an alternative job.

I'm hoping this is what is going on right now. But who knows.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
There are many situations where it is in the best interest of all to set aside the original contract and replace it with something agreeable to both parties. For example, Tech could offer Geoff a job for 14 more years as "Executive Director of GTAA Food and Beverage Operations" and just pay him $800,000 a year until then unless he pursues an alternative job.
I'm trying so hard not to make a comment about appropriate roles he could fill at GT right now...

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not that extreme yet. I saw the debacle at Tennessee up close. The massive drop in fan support, the loss of suite renewals, neighbors against neighbors, Peyton Manning, locker room fights, etc.

Vol fans predicted the end of football relevance. A new AD and coach and 3 years later ... Tennessee football is packing them in and ESPN Game Day is at Ayers Circle.

We will recover. But ... we need to professionalize the GTAA ... AND ... hire a coach that can develop a system capable of working within the constraints unique to GT.
I agree with you that it's probably not QUITE as dire as it seems, although I'm feeling mighty discouraged. The difference, however, is that Tennessee has money.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I’ve argued in the fast, unsuccessfully to “bottom line” people, that higher education was built on a Greek ideal of excellence and a balanced spirit that Tech was one of the last proponents of in the modern age. I’m still capable of having that discussion at length but it cuts against the grain of our times. I fear we know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.
I would especially like the Tech fans younger than I am (63) to read this: Amen. Our civilization is crumbling because we have forgotten what built it. In the early 60s, when I was just a toddler, the memory of what Bobby Dodd did in the 50s was still very fresh on Atlanta's mind, and my relatives impressed upon me that Tech represented excellence of mind and that Dodd's teams reflected that excellence. It was a very powerful mystique. What other school could say that? Sadly, I fear that is gone. How do we recover that mystique? Lombardi said, We will strive for perfection in hopes of catching excellence. I will say this - if all Tech wants to do in football is pursue mediocrity - i mean, why does Vanderbilt even bother? - then shut the football program down and close Bobby Dodd Stadium. People who just "settle" in the name of being realistic make me physically ill.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
money obviously isn’t the only thing. im not saying go out and hire art briles or some other morally reprehensible person to represent us.

it’s just at the end of the day this is about money for the school and the pockets of the higher ups. college football is basically just an advertisement for campus life and a way to get people interested in the school. regardless of our moral high grounding about how we represent things bigger than ball, if we aren’t making money then changes will be made

it would take a shocking level of incompetence for us not to read the writing on the wall that this is a sinking ship that’s gonna be more in the red than bobby dodd thanksgiving weekend the last 20 years if we let collins go on. that’s the only reason any change will be made bottom line
It didn't used to be an advertisement for campus life. It used to be about arete, the pursuit of excellence.