Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
So Nebraska fired Frost and got boat raced by Oklahoma the following week. Did they gain anything from firing him last week over waiting a few weeks? They had a home game so there might have been more people showing up.

I'm not sure the 3M is holding us back right now. I think the question might be what do we actually gain by firing him right now?

A Sunday firing gained us nothing, our next two games are on the road. We don't lose tickets or butts in seats. Let it ride for two weeks and see what happens.

I say all this ready to move on and know that Collins isn't going to make it.

JacketFan137

Banned
So Nebraska fired Frost and got boat raced by Oklahoma the following week. Did they gain anything from firing him last week over waiting a few weeks? They had a home game so there might have been more people showing up.

I'm not sure the 3M is holding us back right now. I think the question might be what do we actually gain by firing him right now?

A Sunday firing gained us nothing, our next two games are on the road. We don't lose tickets or butts in seats. Let it ride for two weeks and see what happens.

i’m not even sure we could get that far in front of the hiring process either. you’re not going to get interviews of anyone that currently has a job in september. i think it’s gonna be before the bye week to give the interim at least a week to prepare and by the half way point there will be a better idea of what the coaching carousel looks like

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
i’m not even sure we could get that far in front of the hiring process either. you’re not going to get interviews of anyone that currently has a job in september. i think it’s gonna be before the bye week to give the interim at least a week to prepare and by the half way point there will be a better idea of what the coaching carousel looks like
So...just speculating here since I'm certainly not expecting it...but let's say we go into the Bye Week 4 - 2 with convincing wins over UCF, Pitt & Duke. What happens then?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You cut him loose now and you can start talking with coaches' agents to gauge interest. You can start putting together the scope of what kind of coach you want and then start building your list of targets.
You can start the interview process or feeling-out process for certain candidates now. Let them come on their off week. Or go meet them where they are. Remember, Notre Dame interviewed O'Leary in a hotel near the Atlanta airport.
the sooner you start, the sooner you can get the candidate you want and get it announced and start rebuilding this thing.

JacketFan137

Banned
So...just speculating here since I'm certainly not expecting it...but let's say we go into the Bye Week 4 - 2 with convincing wins over UCF, Pitt & Duke. What happens then?
i still honestly think if the team plays up to their ability those are 3 winnable games but i don’t see them having a chance at a convincing win.

convincingly or not i think that makes you have to see out a little bit more ACC play before you fire him. 4-2 would get you fired at auburn, notre dame or whoever but we are not in position to fire a coach at 4-2.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

UCF is beatable, though I have my doubts. Duke absolutely should be a win. With Pitts DL facing our OL, I see no chance we win that game.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
UCF is beatable, though I have my doubts. Duke absolutely should be a win. With Pitts DL facing our OL, I see no chance we win that game.

That's my thinking too. But even at 3-3 if the team looks somewhat respectable then we might see the admin sit pat (although the end of the schedule post the Frenchmen looks pretty bad.) That's what might be a problem with waiting...we get false hope that just extends the pain. He's going to lose a ton of player to the portal at season's end. We might as well rip off the bandage.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

In the words of one of their insiders:
"Yeah, it's a lot of money. But when you take another step back and look at the brand in Nebraska, the sellout streak, empty seats in the stadium, national pundits for two or three more weeks beating up on a coach that's really a lame duck. I think $7.5 million is really not a lot of money when you talk about just protecting the brand and Nebraska," Callahan said.
I'm not sure we have a brand anymore or any money to protect it so I guess it's a different situation.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think were better than Duke?
I feel weird saying this, but the Kansas vs Duke game should be very telling this year. Kansas is favored to win by 7.5, so if Duke has a good showing it could be bad news for us. Duke has yet to face competition, so we'll see how their year progresses.

JacketFan137

Banned
Well its good to know there is still some kool aid left in the cooler. We don't beat duke this year and probably not next. We will not be a favorite in any other game this year. When UCF shows that this past weekend was no fluke duke will be favored by a TD.
lol at predicting the result of a game that’s probably more than 365 days away and will feature completely different players and coaches

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s a win / win. CGC has something to market... the transition is working! We calm the restless natives for a few weeks and get closer to pocketing $3.3M. Unless we rattle off about 7 in a row, it’s a matter of when, not if.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
In the words of one of their insiders:

I'm not sure we have a brand anymore or any money to protect it so I guess it's a different situation.

The media is an important thing to consider since it seems The Brand is something TStan has been passionate about. With Nebraska specifically I noticed it was all jokes and people dunking on them about how bad Frost was. Since he's been fired I've seen several articles about Urban Meyer rumors, Bob Stoops rumors, coaching big boards etc from ESPN, SI, and other big names. It isn't necessarily positive (Big Game Bob shut them down), but and it keeps the name in the national media for a few weeks. If you wait until the carousel at the end of the season GT will be lost in the mix. Is the exposure worth $3million to us is the question the AA has to answer, but I say it is.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If GT wins at least 1 of the next three then no decision will be made until the end of the season - I have no doubt of that at all.
At even 2-4 you can still claim you can get to 6 wins (not likely, but you can make the claim). If GT goes 1-5 or 1-6 then I think all bets are off and the odds of making a move increase alot.

At the midpoint of the season most of our home games are already done so you don't really lose much revenue just waiting at that point. Certainly not enough to justify eating $3.3MM.
I remember well the Hewitt buyout fiasco. That severely limited us in who we could go after for the MBB position. Not only that, DRad actually lengthened the buyout to 10 years (from 7) so it would not cripple us in our day to day operations and also meant that we were still dealing with it when we hired Pastner.

Also, there is nothing that keeps GT from doing things in the background. That happens all the time.

Having watched this show before I am not willing to watch us handcuff ourselves any more than we have to by paying a larger buyout than we absolutely have to.