Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

slugboy

Staff member
Unless he can detail the current amount donors are willing to pledge for a change, saying it is insufficient has no real meaning.
You are essentially writing “based on one anonymous source in the AJC, I have read that there is funding to make a $10MM+ changeover in our coaching staff now, and it will leave us in a better place, but our AD has taken no action that indicates he has this trove of money, and it is up to you to prove that this is not the case”

Who here has talked to multiple people in the know and been informed that we have all the resources aligned to make this change?

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Unless he can detail the current amount donors are willing to pledge for a change, saying it is insufficient has no real meaning.
If that is your logic, then unless you can detail the exact amount that donors are willing to GIVE (not pledge), saying we have the resources has no real meaning.

Nobody on this board knows how much money has been offered for a buyout nor for bringing in a different coach. We do factually know that GT athletics operates on the margins financially. The revenue and expenditures are almost equal most years. A couple of years ago it was something like negative 19 million dollars. If there were donors willing to come in and donate enough money to get us out of this situation, they would have donated enough money to get a top notch coach in 2018. There are no John Brown's at GT to come in and save the financial situation. I think it is much more delusional to believe the money will magically appear than it is to believe that it is difficult to raise.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You are essentially writing “based on one anonymous source in the AJC, I have read that there is funding to make a $10MM+ changeover in our coaching staff now, and it will leave us in a better place, but our AD has taken no action that indicates he has this trove of money, and it is up to you to prove that this is not the case”
This makes the assumption that our AD wants to make a change. There is no indication that he does. Our problem may not be the money, it may be the AD himself. That is the crux of this conversation. Just flatly saying that we have no donor support for this, is an assumption based on no real information and is contradictory to reports from media outlets who at least had some source for their information.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
All this talk of money and you'd hope that between Butker, Waller, and Calvin they'd chip in some to see their team relieved of this mess. But who knows, maybe they already have/do

slugboy

Staff member
This makes the assumption that our AD wants to make a change. There is no indication that he does. Our problem may not be the money, it may be the AD himself. That is the crux of this conversation. Just flatly saying that we have no donor support for this, is an assumption based on no real information and is contradictory to reports from media outlets who at least had some source for their information.

1. That is not what I wrote.
  2. I did write that there is scant evidence that we have the funding, and that based on previous experience with Tech, that kind of evidence is unreliable
  3. After all this time, my standards for believing that the war chest for making an immediate move exists have risen.
  4. More and more, the evidence makes it look like that $3MM is a huge barrier
  5. what we are seeing on the board seems like wishful thinking.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This makes the assumption that our AD wants to make a change. There is no indication that he does. Our problem may not be the money, it may be the AD himself. That is the crux of this conversation. Just flatly saying that we have no donor insufficient support for this, is an assumption based on no real information years of financial reports and is contradictory to reports a single report from media outlets a single media outlet who at least had some one anonymous source for their information.
I made some edits to your post.

I think it is obvious at this point that a change will be made. Fans a booing in the stands. Fans are cursing the coach going into the tunnel. The media is making fun of the coach. A 10 win season that includes thumping the mutts could save Collins at GT. The odds of that happening are astronomical. An 8 win season would probably save him. A 7 win season, I'm not sure. At this point, anything less than 7 isn't going to be enough. I am pretty certain that TStan can see that better than people who like to play AD on the internet, even if they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I think it is a reasonable assumption that the athletic department is working on how and when to make a change at this point.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
So what you need is a wholesale societal shift in how the relationship between higher education and athletics is perceived...
It would be best if our entire national society shifted, but it at least needs to occur within the Tech culture. And to be clear, demanding excellence in academics and athletics used to exist at Tech. We lowered our standards.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If TStan has the coach that GT wants lined up at the conclusion of the season, then he must be trying to save the $3M for the next budget. It also buys him time to do the searching. If he doesn't have the New Guy lined up, then he is going to be in a bidding war for anyone that is a desirable hire and will happen right in the middle of recruit signing dates.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It would be best if our entire national society shifted, but it at least within the Tech culture. And to be clear, demanding excellence in academics and athletics used to exist at Tech. We lowered our standards.

While I agree with you, the question that has to be asked is which is more important for us:

1. Raise the academic standards and allow no special exceptions for athletes while demanding athletic excellence, OR,

2. Demand athletic excellence while keeping a lowered, but not absent, set of academic standards for athletes.

If option 1 is the answer, then we will never be competitive in P5 football without a universal change in the NCAA rules on student athletes. Since this is a non-starter that means we either have to realize we will be a non-competitive outlier or find a league like the Ivy League to play in.

Option 2, which is where we currently reside, is hard enough for us. I'm not advocating for anything to make it harder...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
One thing that we are forgetting is a new trend. In addition to paying for the buyout, increase in salary for better coaching; now coaches are asking the new school to pay their end of the money owed to their prior/current school for them leaving early. Are yall playing Mega Millions and PowerBall regularly?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Aaaaarrrgh. Nope. I can't resist. I was thinking Director of Fashion and Elite Juice. :)
He would be in over his head if asked to manage both of those. That would be like asking him to manage recruiting and player development at the same time.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I made some edits to your post.

I think it is obvious at this point that a change will be made. Fans a booing in the stands. Fans are cursing the coach going into the tunnel. The media is making fun of the coach. A 10 win season that includes thumping the mutts could save Collins at GT. The odds of that happening are astronomical. An 8 win season would probably save him. A 7 win season, I'm not sure. At this point, anything less than 7 isn't going to be enough. I am pretty certain that TStan can see that better than people who like to play AD on the internet, even if they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I think it is a reasonable assumption that the athletic department is working on how and when to make a change at this point.
I still don't know what data you guys are using to determine insufficient but ill let that one go. If we don't have enough support from donors to buyout Collins now then im not sure why you guys are sure that we will have enough support to buy him out on Jan 1st. Are we really that sure that we have enough money minus the extra three million? Where is that money coming from? He may be our coach next year if the assumptions here are true. It doesn't really matter how bad things get if there is no money to improve things.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I still don't know what data you guys are using to determine insufficient but ill let that one go. If we don't have enough support from donors to buyout Collins now then im not sure why you guys are sure that we will have enough support to buy him out on Jan 1st. Are we really that sure that we have enough money minus the extra three million? Where is that money coming from? He may be our coach next year if the assumptions here are true. It doesn't really matter how bad things get if there is no money to improve things.
A $5 ticket increase on season ticket holders will pay for the $3.3M. That's $1.3M a year over 3-ish years. We don't need donors to pull that off. We need donors if we make a change TODAY ... as that will cost $10.5M now.

A agree with an earlier post. Changing the coach is the least of our problems. We need a LOT of structural change and with a faculty heavy BoT ... that's not going to happen.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I was just thinking that it is amazing that...at least as far as I've seen...we haven't had any of the Temple fans who told us we'd be sorry here reminding us of that fact.
I very distinctly remember a comment, or two , from a Temple fan(s) ,that basically said we would be very sorry that we had hired CGC. That was probably in year 1 or 2 IIRC.
Anyone else remember that ?