Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, if we get a quality coach to even entertain the job, I wouldn't be shocked if it's a hard and fast requirement on their part. We are a toxic program right now, and we're going to have to take some lumps to get better.
throwing 7 year guaranteed contracts out there is not necessary. there are plenty of schools that have bad programs that don't do it.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this really called for?
Isn't that in some ways what happened to PJ? He felt he was not supported and not getting the resources he wanted. Why wouldn't we do the same to Collins if we want him out.

Frankly, when Collins gets fired, I wonder if the new guy is going to come in and talk about the biggest transformation in history, taking a team that has been outscored nearly 150-10 by its last power 5 opponents, been outscored 97-7 by UGA in last two games (would've been worse if we didnt cancel due to COVID), won 10 games in 4 years etc. Plus the fact that the school has no money because of Collins' terribleness.

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, when Collins gets fired, I wonder if the new guy is going to come in and talk about the biggest transformation in history, taking a team that has scored been outscored nearly 150-10 by its last power 5 opponents, been outscored 97-7 by UGA in last two games (would've been worse if we didnt cancel due to COVID), won 10 games in 4 years etc. Plus the fact that the school has no money because of Collins' terribleness.
It would be funny for sure. But hopefully we get someone with more class than CGC. I’d prefer not have another coach who comes in making excuses day one.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
No, I guess not. Let's keep him and continue to deal with the results. I mean just about everyone on here is posting about how he needs to be fired.

How about we just allow things to play out? If we keep him, great! If we fire him, great!

I am not sure what people want. He is a GREAT businessman. He is a MEDIOCRE, at best, coordinator. He is a TERRIBLE head football coach.

I would not wish ill-will toward anyone or anyone's family. I was simply referring to the need for the administration to hold Geoff Collins' feet to the fire. You know, much the same as a hot seat, except for a different location. I am frustrated, just as almost everyone else on this board!

Good grief! HE IS AN AWFUL COACH!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Isn't that in some ways what happened to PJ? He felt he was not supported and not getting the resources he wanted. Why wouldn't we do the same to Collins if we want him out.

Frankly, when Collins gets fired, I wonder if the new guy is going to come in and talk about the biggest transformation in history, taking a team that has scored been outscored nearly 150-10 by its last power 5 opponents, been outscored 97-7 by UGA in last two games (would've been worse if we didnt cancel due to COVID), won 10 games in 4 years etc. Plus the fact that the school has no money because of Collins' terribleness.
Hopefully we know better than to hire “that guy,” but you’re right in the sense that we still have a sizable transition ahead.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That happened to CPJ when MBob was here. According to what CPJ said, TStan was much more involved and supportive.

Just my opinion, but I think that MBob basically trashing the football program to try to run CPJ off is a large part of the reason we are where we are today. Mbob intentionally underfunded football and sapped the life out of those involved with GT football. His actions hurt donations, ticket sales, and recruiting. I don't know how much longer CPJ would have coached if not for those issues, but the program as a whole would have been in better shape when he left.

I think the CGC experiment is sucking the life out of the program now, but if the athletic department intentionally takes the program off of life support it will just extend the time to recover even longer. If MBob wanted CPJ gone, he should have just manned up and fired him. I don't know CPJ, but I think he would have respected that much more than being a passive-aggressive coward. If the athletic department parts ways with CGC, it should be on the up and up instead of trying to coerce CGC into something.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No, I guess not. Let's keep him and continue to deal with the results. I mean just about everyone on here is posting about how he needs to be fired.

How about we just allow things to play out? If we keep him, great! If we fire him, great!

I am not sure what people want. He is a GREAT businessman. He is a MEDIOCRE, at best, coordinator. He is a TERRIBLE head football coach.

I would not wish ill-will toward anyone or anyone's family. I was simply referring to the need for the administration to hold Geoff Collins' feet to the fire. You know, much the same as a hot seat, except for a different location. I am frustrated, just as almost everyone else on this board!

Good grief! HE IS AN AWFUL COACH!
What "fire" are they going to hold his feet to? Geoff's on easy street no matter what. If he keeps his job through the end of the year, he's rich - and if he loses it before the end of the year, he's even richer.

slugboy

Staff member
Firing people always sucks. I hate it. Worst part of my job even when it is clearly necessary. I do feel bad for him to some degree. He wanted to be here. He had a plan. He just didn't execute and likely wasn't ready for it. Failure on our part and his.

He will be well compensated and will likely get a DC job somewhere in the near future. Doubt he gets a HC job again, but he'll be fine financially.
He had Key, but he could have used a mature mentor to guide him. Oh, well
It's on Zillow. Nice $3.5M dollar house ..
Ironically, Zillow is the most reliable source in the thread

——

I would not be surprised if Stansbury was having discussions with Collins agent and with boosters. I wouldn’t necessarily count on fast discussions. IMHO

Re buyout money: I have seen one anonymous source put a false story in front of multiple journalists, and the journalists used each other for confirmation. You need multiple sources.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ironically, Zillow is the most reliable source in the thread

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I just can't go back to another home game, nope, I'm done. I'm not even going to watch Saturday's game. They're not a committed organization.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Re buyout money: I have seen one anonymous source put a false story in front of multiple journalists, and the journalists used each other for confirmation.
That’s pretty much right out of the revised edition of the “responsible journalism handbook”
Anonymous source, and everyone reporting that everyone else is reporting... :confused:

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Rhule is a fantastic college coach. I would 100% take Rhule in a heartbeat...BUT, there are some big programs waiting to pounce if Rhule is fired after this season.
I was thinking the same thing when @g0lftime mentioned his name. He was very successful as a HC in college but not so much in the NFL. However as many coaches have shown, coaching in the NFL and college are 2 completely different jobs (see Saban, Miles, Kiffen, etc.). If he is available and we are able to get him I think it would be a great hire.

JacketFan137

Banned
Honestly, if we get a quality coach to even entertain the job, I wouldn't be shocked if it's a hard and fast requirement on their part. We are a toxic program right now, and we're going to have to take some lumps to get better.
people are too fixated on 7 years. that contract is not half as absurd as people want it to be. i think the real issue is buyout structure/cost. 7 years is fine but we need to do a better job at making the buyout more reasonable. maybe make the contract more incentive based or something.

i’m not a contract lawyer so i’m not sure what we can do to not mess up this time

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That’s pretty much right out of the revised edition of the “responsible journalism handbook”
Anonymous source, and everyone reporting that everyone else is reporting... :confused:
That information is never going to be anything but anonymous. TStan nor the donors are ever going to come out publicly and say they pledged so much money for a buyout. Even if Collins does get canned, and it was with donor support, we will never know who supported it, how much they gave, or how it came together. I guess everyone can decide on their own whether reports with anonymous sources can be trusted but an anonymous source used by the AJC to me is still a better source than someone on a message board assuming our donors are doing nothing at all.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That information is never going to be anything but anonymous. TStan nor the donors are ever going to come out publicly and say they pledged so much money for a buyout. Even if Collins does get canned, and it was with donor support, we will never know who supported it, how much they gave, or how it came together. I guess everyone can decide on their own whether reports with anonymous sources can be trusted but an anonymous source used by the AJC to me is still a MARGINALLY better source than someone on a message board assuming our donors are doing nothing at all.
Fixed.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone believes donors were doing nothing / pledging nothing at all.