Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Think it's safe to say that nothing is happening this week on collins job . If something were to have happened we would have heard it now.
As others have said, really doubting we fire him until the end of the season unless we have another embarrassing loss.
As much as I'm for getting rid of him now, why blow that money now and still risk having the same results at the end of the season vs seeing where the cards fall and potentially save more money and let him go later.
The damage is done either way

We’re going to have multiple more embarrassing losses, so whether we can him now or later, that can’t be the deciding factor. That’s not being negative, either. That’s being realistic. Just look at the scores of the last five games we’ve played Power five teams. It’s going to get uglier. We should ask now for a running clock against UGA.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please please please provide the "logic" for not firing CGC
Getting a coach / ad gone is a logical assuming its be studied and planned.

Is prez just more - teflon lip service. V if so its more wash rinse ( wow we are better than duke most years) repeat.

Or
Does prez realize what a special memory gt students get when they are at bds and its rockin.
Donation get bigger as found memories grow w time $

What if prez said i think i should strive to hire and help new ad and stsff that can be like top ga tech coaches and adnin in the vein of broyles, rice , dodd, hiesmen. The best yearly awards are given in their name. I may havecto replace them but i believe we have the best top guys, the best assistants and staff players will find us.

To do that we will need more long term money per year than our competitors as we are behind.
If he saysche is all in then tech men andcwomen will rally.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't understand Todd's thinking at this point. Maybe there's things going on behind the scenes. But no one outside the program is making any case whatsoever for Collins to be retained for so much as another game- fans, media, donors are all aligned that it's time for this to end. It's a fait accompli at this point. There is nothing to be gained by waiting. Saving 3 million and letting him play out this season will cost far more long term. If Todd fired CGC and asked for monetary support and support for the interim and the players, I'd give it in a heart beat. But I'm not buying tickets or donating to support this mess.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't understand Todd's thinking at this point. Maybe there's things going on behind the scenes. But no one outside the program is making any case whatsoever for Collins to be retained for so much as another game- fans, media, donors are all aligned that it's time for this to end. It's a fait accompli at this point. There is nothing to be gained by waiting. Saving 3 million and letting him play out this season will cost far more long term. If Todd fired CGC and asked for monetary support and support for the interim and the players, I'd give it in a heart beat. But I'm not buying tickets or donating to support this mess.

Well to my knowledge, Todd’s only communication following Saturday’s mess came out today. He’s working on an arts and crafts project making a scrapbook.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We’re going to have multiple more embarrassing losses, so whether we can him now or later, that can’t be the deciding factor. That’s not being negative, either. That’s being realistic. Just look at the scores of the last five games we’ve played Power five teams. It’s going to get uglier. We should ask now for a running clock against UGA.
I liked this not so much for the multiple embarrassing losses or the running clock comment, but the fact of the matter is that a financial decision was made and until the financial aspects change, were riding this out. Field product is going to stay pretty ugly for now and we’re collectively holding our noses and our wallets.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Truth. I find that so amazing. People who constantly fail at their job at the highest level getting hired to do it again...I guess because they can tout all the 'hard lessons' they learned ruining the last team. Or maybe they are just really good at the BS game in interviews?

I guess the shame's on me for not learning to fail-forward like those guys do.
A big angel investor I know says he’d rather invest in a guy with 10 failed businesses than none.

Not really sure if football coach and running a business are apples to apples, but there is something to be said about learning from failure.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure it is that easy. Chad Morris was a world class OC and the darling of coaching searches for a while. Now he's an offensive analyst at South Florida. I highly doubt he ever gets another chance at a HC job even in G5. You can fail, but the degree to which you fail has to be reasonable.

yeah look at Ted Roof after the Dook disaster...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Well to my knowledge, Todd’s only communication following Saturday’s mess came out today. He’s working on an arts and crafts project making a scrapbook.
Maybe he’s wanting to make sure he has your current address, phone number, and email for an upcoming “Replace CGC” fundraising campaign.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I liked this not so much for the multiple embarrassing losses or the running clock comment, but the fact of the matter is that a financial decision was made and until the financial aspects change, were riding this out. Field product is going to stay pretty ugly for now and we’re collectively holding our noses and our wallets.

When this season is over, and CGC is gone, we are also going to be dealing with several roster issues. We will most likely lose several starters to the portal, and will be scrambling to get a recruiting class signed. A new coach will likely be hamstrung for a season or two just trying to get the roster depth replenished. Our losing might last a while longer than we hope for...

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
A big angel investor I know says he’d rather invest in a guy with 10 failed businesses than none.

Not really sure if football coach and running a business are apples to apples, but there is something to be said about learning from failure.
But would he rather invest in someone who has 10 blow-out failures versus 10 blow-out successes? If he says yes then he's a liar pure and simple. Or an idiot I guess.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
When this season is over, and CGC is gone, we are also going to be dealing with several roster issues. We will most likely lose several starters to the portal, and will be scrambling to get a recruiting class signed. A new coach will likely be hamstrung for a season or two just trying to get the roster depth replenished. Our losing might last a while longer than we hope for...

I know, we should give them a 7-year deal to make it easier for them to accept the millions of our dollars they are putting in their pocket! :)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I need an “agree” button... feels weird “liking” this. :confused:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I know, we should give them a 7-year deal to make it easier for them to accept the millions of our dollars they are putting in their pocket! :)

Honestly, if we get a quality coach to even entertain the job, I wouldn't be shocked if it's a hard and fast requirement on their part. We are a toxic program right now, and we're going to have to take some lumps to get better.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
People who have multiple blowout successes aren't usually in the job market. It takes boatloads of money to poach them away from their current job.

I agree. But the implication that it is better to have someone who has failed than succeeded. I highly doubt that what the investor meant (having also dealt with them.) More likely they meant they would rather hire someone who has failed smartly than someone who has never tried. That I agree with. But given a choice between someone who has succeeded smartly and failed smartly I know where my money is going.