Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Of course it is a mob...it's a fan message board, it's always a mob...but that doesn't make it any less correct.
I can't speak for @Augusta_Jacket , but I don't believe the things you describe are what he is talking about. He has posted that he understands people being upset. I think it is obvious to everyone that there aren't many supporters of Collins at this point. Fans, Media, anywhere. I think he was talking about people making unsubstantiated statements. Just because you don't like Collins doesn't mean that everything negative you say about him is true. There are plenty of valid and true reasons to be upset with him and with the athletic department to have to start making things up to justify being upset.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
I say if we can make his life as miserable as possible, he would possibly be willing to negotiate a significantly lower buyout. At the VERY LEAST, the administration needs to make his life a living hell until he gives up!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Truth. I find that so amazing. People who constantly fail at their job at the highest level getting hired to do it again...I guess because they can tout all the 'hard lessons' they learned ruining the last team. Or maybe they are just really good at the BS game in interviews?

I guess the shame's on me for not learning to fail-forward like those guys do.
I'm not sure it is that easy. Chad Morris was a world class OC and the darling of coaching searches for a while. Now he's an offensive analyst at South Florida. I highly doubt he ever gets another chance at a HC job even in G5. You can fail, but the degree to which you fail has to be reasonable.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I can't speak for @Augusta_Jacket , but I don't believe the things you describe are what he is talking about. He has posted that he understands people being upset. I think it is obvious to everyone that there aren't many supporters of Collins at this point. Fans, Media, anywhere. I think he was talking about people making unsubstantiated statements. Just because you don't like Collins doesn't mean that everything negative you say about him is true. There are plenty of valid and true reasons to be upset with him and with the athletic department to have to start making things up to justify being upset.

Much better worded than I put it, but yes. I would like us to stick to facts when debating, and not unverifiable secondhand sources that do nothing but further our confirmation bias.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I say if we can make his life as miserable as possible, he would possibly be willing to negotiate a significantly lower buyout. At the VERY LEAST, the administration needs to make his life a living hell until he gives up!
I hope you're not serious. I don't think CGC had anything but the best of intentions - he just isn't ready/capable to deliver. I don't hold any personal ill-will towards the man, and certainly not towards his family. I hope our fans don't make his life or his family's life uncomfortable...

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Got the same thing. Perfect timing for people to share their Jacket memories..... :rolleyes: :buzz:

Me too...it has the ring of a Phishing Attack to me. Weird and vague wording that just seems 'off'.

Georgia Tech Athletics recently launched a comprehensive update project for our supporters. We are requesting all current and past supporters contact us for this important project.

We are connecting supporters, alumni and generations to the power of Georgia Tech Athletics.

Now we need your help to share your favorite Yellow Jacket memorable moments.

Either that or we have a really bad marketing/communications department.

Oh. Yeah.

JacketFan137

Banned
His mentor Rhule, will be available next year. Panthers are about done with him too.
rhule would be a great way to find ourselves in the same spot. very good friend of mine is a panthers fan and i watch their games because of fantasy football. rhule is cut from the same cloth, lots of catch phrases, very high school mentality.

he’s a better coach for sure but i don’t think his messaging would resonate with our fanbase and we’d be better off moving as far as possible from collins lol

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Truth. I find that so amazing. People who constantly fail at their job at the highest level getting hired to do it again...I guess because they can tout all the 'hard lessons' they learned ruining the last team. Or maybe they are just really good at the BS game in interviews?

I guess the shame's on me for not learning to fail-forward like those guys do.
Actually, studies show that hiring senior people who have failed at least once generally have higher results in future roles because they have learned from their mistakes. Not ALWAYS true, but most companies want top guy to be experienced with failure.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Actually, studies show that hiring senior people who have failed at least once generally have higher results in future roles because they have learned from their mistakes. Not ALWAYS true, but most companies want top guy to be experienced with failure.
Well then Collins should be our next hire! ;) (j/k...I know that a failure is not bad. But it's all a matter of how you failed and how badly.)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well then Collins should be our next hire! ;) (j/k...I know that a failure is not bad. But it's all a matter of how you failed and how badly.)

Collins is likely to get a pass from some future teams simply based on the perceived difficulty in this "transition/rebuild." I think he gets a P5 DC gig in a couple of years, another G5 HC shot, and if that works out, there may well be a school willing to roll the dice.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope you're not serious. I don't think CGC had anything but the best of intentions - he just isn't ready/capable to deliver. I don't hold any personal ill-will towards the man, and certainly not towards his family. I hope our fans don't make his life or his family's life uncomfortable...
I guess I should have emphasized the fact that I intended this to indicate make his life a living hell at work! I do not wish ill-will towards anyone. However, I do wish for him to man up and admit that he is simply not able to get the job done!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the interview will go something like this ... "Your tenure at Tech was disappointing. What did you learn?" and the correct answer is ... "I tried to be a know-it-all and focus too heavily on branding and disparaging the previous regime. I now know the importance of good assistants, professional standards, and getting players ready each week." Or whatever.

Butch Jones was a disaster at Tennessee. One thing he did really well was engage former coaches like Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer ... both Natty winners. He would meet with them weekly and get their opinions. He completely failed at managing the locker room, played kids with concussions, the helmet incident, and refusing to play players because of ego issues. I'm sure he learned a lot of what NOT to do as a P5 HC.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Think it's safe to say that nothing is happening this week on collins job . If something were to have happened we would have heard it now.
As others have said, really doubting we fire him until the end of the season unless we have another embarrassing loss.
As much as I'm for getting rid of him now, why blow that money now and still risk having the same results at the end of the season vs seeing where the cards fall and potentially save more money and let him go later.
The damage is done either way

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I guess I should have emphasized the fact that I intended this to indicate make his life a living hell at work! I do not wish ill-will towards anyone. However, I do wish for him to man up and admit that he is simply not able to get the job done!

For future reference, it would also help to define "we" in that instance. Are you calling for the AD to make life hard or for us as a fanbase?

Either way, that becomes problematic. If it is the fanbase then that's visible to prospective coaches and is not a good look for a team looking to hire a replacement. If it's the AD/GTAA you were referring to, that's against the law. If CGC were to really play his cards right in that situation, he could sue the GTAA for hostile work environment.

Ultimately, we just need to let this play out and be ready to be miserable for a few more months.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Think it's safe to say that nothing is happening this week on collins job . If something were to have happened we would have heard it now.
As others have said, really doubting we fire him until the end of the season unless we have another embarrassing loss.
As much as I'm for getting rid of him now, why blow that money now and still risk having the same results at the end of the season vs seeing where the cards fall and potentially save more money and let him go later.
The damage is done either way
Well, it is confirmed. He sold his house on 8/8/22.