Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I just got a note from TStan, they’re working on a new book:

“Georgia Tech Athletics recently launched a comprehensive update project for our supporters. We are requesting all current and past supporters contact us for this important project.

We are connecting supporters, alumni and generations to the power of Georgia Tech Athletics.

Now we need your help to share your favorite Yellow Jacket memorable moments.”

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

“Georgia Tech Athletics recently launched a comprehensive update project for our supporters. We are requesting all current and past supporters contact us for this important project.

We are connecting supporters, alumni and generations to the power of Georgia Tech Athletics.

Got the same thing. Perfect timing for people to share their Jacket memories..... :rolleyes: :buzz:

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow

The 2016 win against UGA running a high school offense would be notable, but I doubt that is what he has in mind.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Got the same thing. Perfect timing for people to share their Jacket memories..... :rolleyes: :buzz:
Hopefully the current situation won't sour people to the program so much that they won't share good stories. Bama in '81. Athens in '08. Citrus Bowl in '91. FSU in '15. ND in '80. Seat cushion game. etc. There are plenty of great moments and great stories about GT history that would make a very good book.

JacketFan137

Banned
I feel a little bit sorry for Collins. He has to be supremely embarrassed right now, regardless of his public rhetoric. Maybe saving face is more important than the total remaining value of his contract. Perhaps, ADTS could come up with something that would allow him to save whatever dignity he has left and allow us to start a new chapter of Tech football with a new coach. A negotiated settlement is the best thing for the athletes, students, and fans. It is time to move on.

No spitting, please.
it’s always the sad part of this. he sucks at coaching and wasn’t ready for this level of ball. he’s not a bad person, he didn’t tank this on purpose and i do think he worked hard just didn’t work out

he knows he effed up big time. i hope he finds success elsewhere and i hope tech fans don’t harass his family like we are auburn, tennessee, florida or whoever fans.

he will at least be compensated, but sucks he failed to achieve a dream of his

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
it’s always the sad part of this. he sucks at coaching and wasn’t ready for this level of ball. he’s not a bad person, he didn’t tank this on purpose and i do think he worked hard just didn’t work out

he knows he effed up big time. i hope he finds success elsewhere and i hope tech fans don’t harass his family like we are auburn, tennessee, florida or whoever fans.

Firing people always sucks. I hate it. Worst part of my job even when it is clearly necessary. I do feel bad for him to some degree. He wanted to be here. He had a plan. He just didn't execute and likely wasn't ready for it. Failure on our part and his.

He will be well compensated and will likely get a DC job somewhere in the near future. Doubt he gets a HC job again, but he'll be fine financially.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Totally agree.
We all wanted a younger coach after CPJ left, one that loved the institution. We got that and what he initially did to built up the enthusiasm in football again, get recruits and bring in money was something refreshing.

Unfortunately, I think he underestimated his abilities to turn this program around, hoping big boy words and fancy marketing would do it. Most of us expected 1-2 years of suckage, but going into year 4 with the same excuses shows that hes in over his head at coaching at this level.
Maybe he will go back to a school like Temple, which seems like his level, but I don't think he's got p5 HC experience

JacketFan137

Banned
Firing people always sucks. I hate it. Worst part of my job even when it is clearly necessary. I do feel bad for him to some degree. He wanted to be here. He had a plan. He just didn't execute and likely wasn't ready for it. Failure on our part and his.

He will be well compensated and will likely get a DC job somewhere in the near future. Doubt he gets a HC job again, but he'll be fine financially.
he’s still young for a coach. if he can get a role under saban, smart, or some other “elite” coach he’s probably gonna find a dc job and be in a position to snag an interim coach job. will take a decade of regaining his image probably

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Collins has failed at every aspect at Tech even recruiting. Collins did not improve recruiting. Amazingly…he did not improve recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. We had better DL, LBs, corners and safeties under Johnson - 91, 96, 54, 6, 28, 1 (I. Johnson), 4, 14. Our OLine recruiting under Collins has been awful as well - there are no Burdens, Masons, Coopers, in the bunch. Receivers? No one can play, except for 8 and 12. TEs? His best tight end is a walk-on. Those he has offered schollies to do not play. QB? He did not recognize the need for toughness and staked his career on a softie. Vad, JT, etc. would be better in this offense than any Collins has recruited. We say he recruits better only because we need to give him something…when, in fact, no one can play.

JacketFan137

Banned
Totally agree.
We all wanted a younger coach after CPJ left, one that loved the institution. We got that and what he initially did to built up the enthusiasm in football again, get recruits and bring in money was something refreshing.

Unfortunately, I think he underestimated his abilities to turn this program around, hoping big boy words and fancy marketing would do it. Most of us expected 1-2 years of suckage, but going into year 4 with the same excuses shows that hes in over his head at coaching at this level.
Maybe he will go back to a school like Temple, which seems like his level, but I don't think he's got p5 HC experience
yeah it’s not hard to see why he was hired and i agree that we needed some sort of boost to the program and some enthusiasm. hiring whisenhunt was gonna probably me a net negative in terms of fanbase reception and after how boring 17/18 were i think the program needed some kinda shot in the arm.

now that is probably even more important. if we hire some coach from a g5 school or an old man like whisenhunt i think bobby dodd will be quieter than a church this upcoming season. our few but VERY passionate fans are not gonna be happy if we don’t make a splash

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
he’s still young for a coach. if he can get a role under saban, smart, or some other “elite” coach he’s probably gonna find a dc job and be in a position to snag an interim coach job. will take a decade of regaining his image probably
In a decade he will be in his sixties. Not trying to pile on him, but if he is going to make it as a HC this is getting towards the end of the time. It isn't too hard to move from one place to another as a proven HC in your sixties. However, moving up from a coordinator position to HC at that age is more difficult.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
This place is currently operating with a mob mentality. I stand by it.
Of course it is a mob...it's a fan message board, it's always a mob...but that doesn't make it any less correct.

The economics suck, but how much more damage will be done to the economics if nothing is done? It's not possible to quantify this, but this is a reality and we're well into this process now. In fact, I'd argue that the longer this circus stays in place, the less likely we are to sell ANY sidewalk fan tickets or attract ANY NEW STH.

IMO, the only possible outcome (to keeping CGC) is lower revenues moving and losing even more fans. You can argue that's a mob mentality if you'd like, but fans = mobs = $$$ At some point, we lose too many fans and we no longer have the $$$ to compete for the staff to field a competitive program. I have no clue where that line gets drawn, but we're clearly approaching it.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow

I got that email too. I think getting Rick Rolled would go over better than that request now.

JacketFan137

Banned
In a decade he will be in his sixties. Not trying to pile on him, but if he is going to make it as a HC this is getting towards the end of the time. It isn't too hard to move from one place to another as a proven HC in your sixties. However, moving up from a coordinator position to HC at that age is more difficult.
i still won’t be surprised to see him get a hc gig. college football and nfl for some reason will employ some of these guys til the end of time. it won’t be with us, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him somewhere

JacketFan137

Banned
Of course it is a mob...it's a fan message board, it's always a mob...but that doesn't make it any less correct.

The economics suck, but how much more damage will be done to the economics if nothing is done? It's not possible to quantify this, but this is a reality and we're well into this process now. In fact, I'd argue that the longer this circus stays in place, the less likely we are to sell ANY sidewalk fan tickets or attract ANY NEW STH.

IMO, the only possible outcome (to keeping CGC) is lower revenues moving and losing even more fans. You can argue that's a mob mentality if you'd like, but fans = mobs = $$$ At some point, we lose too many fans and we no longer have the $$$ to compete for the staff to field a competitive program. I have no clue where that line gets drawn, but we're clearly approaching it.
that’s a decision that people getting paid way more than everyone on this board is gonna have to make. i think that’s why any news is taking a while. lot of cost benefit analysis and a lot projecting what happens going forward if we fire him vs keep him

as fans the best thing to do is support however we can. still go to games, buy a few beers and hot dogs at the game, buy your merch etc.

if we do fire collins then all the angry people better get their *** in a seat next game and show the decision makers that we still care about tech football and they need to take the fanbase seriously

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
i still won’t be surprised to see him get a hc gig. college football and nfl for some reason will employ some of these guys til the end of time. it won’t be with us, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him somewhere
Truth. I find that so amazing. People who constantly fail at their job at the highest level getting hired to do it again...I guess because they can tout all the 'hard lessons' they learned ruining the last team. Or maybe they are just really good at the BS game in interviews?

I guess the shame's on me for not learning to fail-forward like those guys do.