Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It may not even be a 3.3M dollar decision. The buyout could be negotiated lower. If we tell Collins, we will give you half of that to leave now, he may very well take it. Get an extra 1.7 million now, or 1.7 million less later and you have to play out this season which isn't likely to go well for you.
Totally agree. If Geoff has checked out, it becomes a timing issue. I'd offer to pay the full buyout of $10.5 but over an extended term, say 7 or 10 years. If he is not having any fun, he might go for it. Besides, he would normally be required to seek new employment and if he gets a DC job, presto ... we're out.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Please link to another "source" who said that. There were other reporters who referenced that article. There have been plenty of posters on several forums who have stated it as fact. However, I have not seen a single known source who said it. In fact, the paraphrase from the unknown "source" is that "resources" were available. Does that mean money for the buyout? Does that mean money for a buyout and also enough to bring in a new coach and assistant staff? Does that only mean a telephone with which to make calls? "Resources" could mean a lot of things. On top of that, I don't put much stock in a paraphrased statement from "a person with knowledge of the situation" if I don't know who/what that source is. On top of that, I don't put very little stock in that statement if it isn't corroborated by others.
I'm not going to link to insider sources. Im not sure where you were at the end of last season if you never saw anything about this. If you want to believe that the AJC and insider sources were making things up then that is completely up to you. If you want to believe that TStan doesn't have the ability to raise funds for something like this then that is up to you as well. Im not sure it is reality but we can agree to disagree.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are stuck with Collins until at least 2024 when his buyout drops to $4.8 million. If we fire him before 2023, it is $10.5 million. Before 2024 it is $7.1 million. This is not Notre Dame or Texas or Alabama. The buyout controls the decision. If enough pressure is applied, he may decide to resign and negotiate a lower buyout. I wouldn't if I were him.
That will death knell the program

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Totally agree. If Geoff has checked out, it becomes a timing issue. I'd offer to pay the full buyout of $10.5 but over an extended term, say 7 or 10 years. If he is not having any fun, he might go for it. Besides, he would normally be required to seek new employment and if he gets a DC job, presto ... we're out.

Good chance he becomes an "analyst" for Saban at $200k a year while collecting GT $ for a couple of years in the Bama Rehabilitation School of Failed Coaches...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't know. But my understanding is that if he is fired before Year 4, he gets the full value on departure. After that, he continues to get paid annually. That's what it was for Malzahn and why he walked away with a $30M check in his pocket.

But I'm assuming the contracts are similar. They may not be. Most of the ones I've seen require a fired coach to pursue alternative employment which counts against the buyout.
well that sucks

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think the best path forward is to use this crisis as a catalyst to major change. Let the AA get a $10M loan to buy Geoff out. Then, have several donors pony up $25 million towards debt relief IF ... it is matched 3:1 by individual contributions. That cuts $100M right there. Refi. And do it again next year.

As long as we have the debt we do, we have so little room to maneuver. We really do need a major fundraising goal to restore financial flexibility to the AA.

Agree we should be more transparent and a crisis is a good time to ask for funds to "get better coaches" in.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Hopefully Stansbury and our lawyers were smart enough to put the offset clause on new salary in the contract. Based on our past experiences with coaches contracts, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. 🙁

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
While you are correct, I recall when Butch Jones was being forced out. He wanted the money but ... his wife was getting spit on at the local Kroger (true story). I am sure his family is feeling a lot of pressure and who knows ... he may be open to a negotiated settlement.

I feel a little bit sorry for Collins. He has to be supremely embarrassed right now, regardless of his public rhetoric. Maybe saving face is more important than the total remaining value of his contract. Perhaps, ADTS could come up with something that would allow him to save whatever dignity he has left and allow us to start a new chapter of Tech football with a new coach. A negotiated settlement is the best thing for the athletes, students, and fans. It is time to move on.

No spitting, please.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to link to insider sources. Im not sure where you were at the end of last season if you never saw anything about this. If you want to believe that the AJC and insider sources were making things up then that is completely up to you. If you want to believe that TStan doesn't have the ability to raise funds for something like this then that is up to you as well. Im not sure it is reality but we can agree to disagree.
I was here. I have searched, and searched, and searched for other sources because I have been told over and over again that they are out there. I can find only ONE person quoted.(or actually paraphrased) I am not asking you to post a link to be snarky. I am asking for you to post a link because you are stating that multiple ones exist, and I have searched extensively and have not been able to find a single additional source. If a verifiable source exists, I am very interested in seeing it. I am tired of searching over and over again because people tell me that they exist.

MACHETE

Georgia Tech Fan
At this point, Todd should 1) relieve CGC of his duties and appoint an interim coach and 2) immediately send a request to alumni and fans for AT donations to cover the buyout. I’d send $500 over today and I’m sure we could quickly raise the $5-$10M to end this embarrassment.
I would be willing to pony up much more than that if the GTAA has a coherent plan. Either way, there is no chance Collins is here in 2023. His position has become untenable.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The decision of when to fire is basically a $3.3MM decision. The costs for this year are sunk no matter what you do. But the costs for the last 3 seasons on his contract are not.
His last 3 years would be $3.4, $3.5, $3.6 - so $10.5MM. The buyout after the season is $7.2MM ($2.4MM * 3).

For an AA with consistent money issues $3.3MM is going to be hard to swallow. Also, the way the schedule works plays in favor of not firing during the season. 4 of the first 6 games are home games, only 2 of the last 6 are home games and only 1 of the last 5. The season tickets are already payed for. So it is really only the walk-up tickets and any spending that those fans do that is the lost revenue. If you look at how many people are in the stands (not what is announced attendance which is tickets sold) it seems reasonable that the lost revenue of people not buying tickets for an individual game is likely less than $1MM total.

The recruiting class isn't good enough to even worry about in the slightest currently 48th on Rivals and 52nd on 247sports (and 12th in avg rating on both among 14 ACC teams). Also imo decisions on hiring and firing coaches should never be based on recruiting - that is a very short term focus.

The goal if you make a coaching change is to get the best coach for your school that is interested in coming. It's not the biggest name, it's not who may be the 'best' coach out there. It is who amongst the candidates that is interested in coming to the school is most likely to succeed.

I think if GT ends up 1-5 or 1-6 then we might see the AA pull the trigger (Lewis was 1-7 when GT pulled the trigger in a time where buyouts were not a big deal). If he wins even one game of the next 3 I think Collins coaches the season out.
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I completely follow this logic. This is a traveling circus for the last five weeks of the season, and fans are not showing out for the Miami game, no matter who is (or is not) on the sidelines, so there's no revenue increase / offset to be seen from a move prior. I also still buy in to the notion that the decision we made last year was a financial decision, not a football decision, so in that regard, the variables affecting that decision are unchanged.
I don't see a gain in mid-season firing, but I do see a lot of liability. It's going to be frustrating fall... hopefully brighter days are ahead.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
When was the last time you were on a playground? I'm sure Dawg kids are rubbing their buddies noses in Tech's misfortunes right now.
but with an extra $3.3M, I could send the wife and kids somewhere magical, where people don't concern themselves with dirty Dwags. I'd miss a few school plays and sporting events this fall, but I'd be home for Christmas, and it would be glorious!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
but with an extra $3.3M, I could send the wife and kids somewhere magical, where people don't concern themselves with dirty Dwags. I'd miss a few school plays and sporting events this fall, but I'd be home for Christmas, and it would be glorious!
Who says that's NOT happening? If he sold his house, he's probably sending them down to Florida or wherever he has his second home. That's what I'd do ... "Honey, take the kids and let's plan 2023. I'll stick it out here and we'll use the $3.3M to buy our forever home."