Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Posted this elsewhere, but will drop here as well. Not much clarity, but from the AJC.

I was able to find this. Doesn't give an exact date as to when the buyout decreases, but implies at the end of each season.

Collins' contract is unusual in its length, however. Most contracts for coaches in new jobs are either five or six years. Stansbury granted Collins a seven-year deal because of the transition from Johnson's option offense.

If he were to be fired within the first four years, Collins would receive 100 percent of the remaining value of the deal. After that, he would receive $2.4 million for each remaining season. For example, if he were dismissed at the end of the fifth season with two years left, he would receive $4.8 million.

www.ajc.com

Geoff Collins’ contract averages $3.3 million annually

Georgia Tech coach Geoff Collins’ seven-year contract averages $3.3 million and begins at $3 million for the 2019 season, about $152,000 less than former coach Paul Johnson was scheduled to make in this coming season. Collins’ pay will increase by $100,000 over the life of his seven-year...
www.ajc.com
www.ajc.com

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is accurate. There are two buyout dates to be concerned with: one drop on Dec 1, and another on Jan 1. If we are firing him before next season, and it's readily apparent that we have to at this point, the Jan 1 date is out. That's way too late to put together a staff, salvage a recruiting class, and work the portal. It also puts us way behind everyone else in finding the next guy. The Dec 1 date is also probably way too late. We're already behind Nebraska and Arizona State. Auburn is going to open up soon, as is Colorado. If the buyout does't drop between now and Dec 1, then we just need to pull the bandaid off and do it.
Yes. And no.

If you look at this dispassionately, we were supposed to be 2-2 by the end of September. That was almost unanimously communicated on these boards. Well, so far ... we have lost to exactly who we thought we would lose to. 42-0 looks terrible. But so does 42-14 for Auburn, which is arguably a better team. The businessman in me says, "What has changed from our original assumptions?" Answer: Nothing. So inside the AA, they may NOT be thinking anything other than let's get through the end of the season.

I still maintain that Chip Long is the coach in waiting. Geoff didn't hire him, others made that decision for him. I would be surprised AT ALL so see Geoff let go at the end of the season and Chip get some kind of a contract for no other reason that to demonstrate stability and transition. Total disruption will spread panic and that has to be avoided.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Waiting until Jan 1st to fire a clear failure of a staff is waving a white flag on the football program at GT. Any hope of salvaging or putting together a recruiting class is gone for another year. At that point who knows what coaches are available. Once you hire someone that late in the game how are they going to be able to put together their staff in January. It really seems like it's a further couple years of spiraling downward and losing much more than $3M in that process. I don't think that's illogical as you seem to imply

I think he'll be fired this year and I think the rest is factually incorrect? The buyout drops after this season, not on January 1st, right? If he's here in 2023, there may not be 15,000 people in the stands and less than that many season tickets sold. That's why you have to let him go. The program is dying. Keeping him here in 2023 means we've given up over $3 million and the program is basically dead.

GTLorenzo is correct. Buyout drops after end of season, not Jan 1st. If he's fired before the end of this season, he gets 100% of the remaining money in his contract. After this SEASON he gets $2.4 million for each remaining season, or $7.2 million vs over $12 million.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
At this point, Todd should 1) relieve CGC of his duties and appoint an interim coach and 2) immediately send a request to alumni and fans for AT donations to cover the buyout. I’d send $500 over today and I’m sure we could quickly raise the $5-$10M to end this embarrassment.

Won't happen, but would be interesting to see how much could be raised with how angry everyone is. I would contribute.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Steven Godfrey (@38godfrey, hosts Split Zone Duo) did a subscriber's podcast last night about various openings and potential openings (he does one each week) and brought up Tech. He more or less confirmed those dates, but admits that that's from his industry sources as he is not a contract lawyer. He's got a lot of contacts among agents, coaches, and athletic departments and has rarely been wrong in the past, so I'd trust that.
I listened to that this morning. Heard him reference the Jan. 1st date. Not the Dec. 1st date.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That wasn't what I was referring to. The original post asserted TStan said he had the funds to replace CGC if warranted.

RonJon replied:

The facts are that only one "unnamed source" has ever said we had the funds available. It was never confirmed by anyone else in the press that that source was either correct or reliable. My response to RonJon was that using logic to try and get people to see that TStan never said something he is now being accused of saying won't matter. People are so bent out of shape they won't care.

Hence, mobs don't respond to reason. They don't. The fonts here are mainly becoming an online mob, and reason flew out the window for a lot of them a long time ago.
Whatever. We're not a "mob" and we're not unreasonable. You can point out that technicality without the invectives. You need to get off the high horse.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Hm, maybe I misheard. The FTRS podcast is supposed to get into it as well, we'll see what they find. Contracts can be confusing. If it is just the Jan 1 date, then it really doesn't make sense why we don't can him now.
My understanding is the "end of the season". If Tech is not going to a bowl, the end of the season is the minute after the UGA game.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Whatever we do, and I am in favor of firing him sooner rather than later, I don't think this year's recruiting class should be part of the equation. The transfer portal has changed things drastically and a coached hired sometime this fall would have a limited impact on this incoming freshman recruiting class. Firing Collins now should be what many people on here are saying it should be, a statement that the current state of things is unacceptable. I just don't think our athletic department can handle the cost.

If what @link3945 says is true, I'd wait until after Jan 1st, give CGC as little money as possible, and take our time with this hire. We need to interview more than 3 people and leave no stone unturned. Whatever coach we hires needs to be one of two extremes; either an x's and o's genius (CPJ or Mike Leach type) or a personality who can overhaul the character of the program from the jump. We thought CGC was the latter but it just turns out that repeating the same talknig points over and over again does nothing to change culture or transform a program.

If we go the option route though, Demetrius Knight needs to move back to QB.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
While you are correct, I recall when Butch Jones was being forced out. He wanted the money but ... his wife was getting spit on at the local Kroger (true story). I am sure his family is feeling a lot of pressure and who knows ... he may be open to a negotiated settlement.
I think you live in Alabama and not sure where CGC lives now but this area around Atlanta does not have that many Tech fans most are uga or other teams and I don't think they care about CGC or his family. And I really don't think any true Tech fan would say anything to his family that is too low class for Tech people.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We thought CGC was the latter but it just turns out that repeating the same talknig points over and over again does nothing to change culture or transform a program.

ironically, repeating the same talking points over and over again happens all the time by fonts right here on the Swarm. I'm not sure CGC is the only guilty party in this "crime."

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Hm, maybe I misheard. The FTRS podcast is supposed to get into it as well, we'll see what they find. Contracts can be confusing. If it is just the Jan 1 date, then it really doesn't make sense why we don't can him now.

IF the buyout drops on January 1 and not immediately after the season, then Stansbury is a worse negotiator than I imagined. :LOL:

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
ironically, repeating the same talking points over and over again happens all the time by fonts right here on the Swarm. I'm not sure CGC is the only guilty party in this "crime."
Well that is true. I have contributed to the repetitive nature of things myself. Being repetitive is not a crime in and of itself. It only becomes detrimental if it starts to fall on deaf ears, which is definitely the case with our football team

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
GTLorenzo is correct. Buyout drops after end of season, not Jan 1st. If he's fired before the end of this season, he gets 100% of the remaining money in his contract. After this SEASON he gets $2.4 million for each remaining season, or $7.2 million vs over $12 million.

And what is the date for the end of the season? Jan. 1st is "after the season". As fans we might all think it's obviously after the uga game but it's going to be defined within the contract. My livelihood is spending a ton of time parsing contract language, I'm not convinced by one article in the ajc saying "end of season".

This article from the athletic says "after 2022". Calendar year? "Season"?
https://theathletic.com/2972042/202...-under-fire-but-buyout-makes-firing-unlikely/

It sure would be some insightful journalism if someone could actually quote what it says in the contract

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think you live in Alabama and not sure where CGC lives now but this area around Atlanta does not have that many Tech fans most are uga or other teams and I don't think they care about CGC or his family. And I really don't think any true Tech fan would say anything to his family that is too low class for Tech people.
I lived 35 years in Atlanta and knew Buckhead pretty well. I don't know where his kids go school (Marist? Westminister? Other?), but kids can get a lot of pressure and make things uncomfortable. Sometimes, families just say, "Dad, we aren't having any fun here" and Dad makes plans to move on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well that is true. I have contributed to the repetitive nature of things myself. Being repetitive is not a crime in and of itself. It only becomes detrimental if it starts to fall on deaf ears, which is definitely the case with our football team

To speak to your point, I'd posit that it's not so much the repetitive, but the hyperbole that's the issue. When you keep using words like elite and high level, they lose their impact, and eventually become a point of attack for your detractors. I get what he was trying to do, I just disagree with how far he took it.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

This contract alone should be a fireable offense for the AD. Tech should fire him now and let Collins coach out the season. We can hire a new AD over the next month, and start interviewing coaches prior to the end of the season.

We should fire Stansbury a second time when we let Collins go.