Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
We are stuck with Collins until at least 2024 when his buyout drops to $4.8 million. If we fire him before 2023, it is $10.5 million. Before 2024 it is $7.1 million. This is not Notre Dame or Texas or Alabama. The buyout controls the decision. If enough pressure is applied, he may decide to resign and negotiate a lower buyout. I wouldn't if I were him.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
We are stuck with Collins until at least 2024 when his buyout drops to $4.8 million. If we fire him before 2023, it is $10.5 million. Before 2024 it is $7.1 million. This is not Notre Dame or Texas or Alabama. The buyout controls the decision. If enough pressure is applied, he may decide to resign and negotiate a lower buyout. I wouldn't if I were him.

100%. He'll never get a gig like this again. The money he's getting is crazy. He should stay on and 'quiet quit' since he thinks he's half his actual age.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not logical, it is economics .
There are reasons related to economics and other considerations on the other side of the argument, too. Logic isn't confined to the side that says, "wait until after the season". To insinuate that one side of the argument is logical and the other side is a mob, as he did, is wrong and uncalled for. There are two valid sides to this argument.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I don't think it's that drastic. I'm fairly certain a couple of donors will help us eat the 7 million buyout to fire CGC after the season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There are reasons related to economics and other considerations on the other side of the argument, too. Logic isn't confined to the side that says, "wait until after the season". To insinuate that one side of the argument is logical and the other side is a mob, as he did, is wrong and uncalled for. There are two valid sides to this argument.

Go back and look at the original post I replied to. That font has posted several times on this topic and used logic. People have ignored that logic because they are enraged about CGC and venting. You're upset because I pointed out a truth. People are not responding to logic right now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Go back and look at the original post I replied to. That font has posted several times on this topic and used logic. People have ignored that logic because they are enraged about CGC and venting. You're upset because I pointed out a truth. People are not responding to logic right now.
I understand the logic behind keeping him on. I also understand the logic behind making a change now. Both sides of the argument have logical bases. It's that simple.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's that drastic. I'm fairly certain a couple of donors will help us eat the 7 million buyout to fire CGC after the season.
Remember the donors had the money last year , but we spent most on getting new staff. We're going to need more than donors if the above is true, we all will need to contribute to also afford another coach after the buyout

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Economics. We can't afford the buyout and a new coach right now. Saving millions by waiting until the end of the season is logical.
Waiting until Jan 1st to fire a clear failure of a staff is waving a white flag on the football program at GT. Any hope of salvaging or putting together a recruiting class is gone for another year. At that point who knows what coaches are available. Once you hire someone that late in the game how are they going to be able to put together their staff in January. It really seems like it's a further couple years of spiraling downward and losing much more than $3M in that process. I don't think that's illogical as you seem to imply

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
If we did dismiss him with a large buyout, the assumption would be that the money would be made up on increased ticket sales when the new coach is hired. Not sure we can depend on this.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Waiting until Jan 1st to fire a clear failure of a staff is waving a white flag on the football program at GT. Any hope of salvaging or putting together a recruiting class is gone for another year. At that point who knows what coaches are available. Once you hire someone that late in the game how are they going to be able to put together their staff in January. It really seems like it's a further couple years of spiraling downward and losing much more than $3M in that process. I don't think that's illogical as you seem to imply
This is accurate. There are two buyout dates to be concerned with: one drop on Dec 1, and another on Jan 1. If we are firing him before next season, and it's readily apparent that we have to at this point, the Jan 1 date is out. That's way too late to put together a staff, salvage a recruiting class, and work the portal. It also puts us way behind everyone else in finding the next guy. The Dec 1 date is also probably way too late. We're already behind Nebraska and Arizona State. Auburn is going to open up soon, as is Colorado. If the buyout does't drop between now and Dec 1, then we just need to pull the bandaid off and do it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I understand the logic behind keeping him on. I also understand the logic behind making a change now. Both sides of the argument have logical bases. It's that simple.

That wasn't what I was referring to. The original post asserted TStan said he had the funds to replace CGC if warranted.

Are you certain that Todd can’t raise that money through large donors like every other program? Do you think he was lying last year when he said he had the money to fire him and chose not to?

RonJon replied:

Lot's of conflation there. He never said that.

The facts are that only one "unnamed source" has ever said we had the funds available. It was never confirmed by anyone else in the press that that source was either correct or reliable. My response to RonJon was that using logic to try and get people to see that TStan never said something he is now being accused of saying won't matter. People are so bent out of shape they won't care.

Hence, mobs don't respond to reason. They don't. The fonts here are mainly becoming an online mob, and reason flew out the window for a lot of them a long time ago.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow

That logic is the source of ire for many of us. The above analysis is one-dimensional and fails to factor in the cost of more damage to the program for continuing this circus. I doubt any of us can actually put a number on it. But cognitively, I think we can all admit the damage is real and non-zero.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Remember the donors had the money last year , but we spent most on getting new staff. We're going to need more than donors if the above is true, we all will need to contribute to also afford another coach after the buyout

Did they? There's only one article citing an anonymous source that says that. That's not a lot of evidence to go on.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is accurate. There are two buyout dates to be concerned with: one drop on Dec 1, and another on Jan 1. If we are firing him before next season, and it's readily apparent that we have to at this point, the Jan 1 date is out. That's way too late to put together a staff, salvage a recruiting class, and work the portal. It also puts us way behind everyone else in finding the next guy. The Dec 1 date is also probably way too late. We're already behind Nebraska and Arizona State. Auburn is going to open up soon, as is Colorado. If the buyout does't drop between now and Dec 1, then we just need to pull the bandaid off and do it.
Where did you come up with two drops and how much are each? I've heard conjecture about WHEN the buyout drops, but not that it drops twice...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

I think he'll be fired this year and I think the rest is factually incorrect? The buyout drops after this season, not on January 1st, right? If he's here in 2023, there may not be 15,000 people in the stands and less than that many season tickets sold. That's why you have to let him go. The program is dying. Keeping him here in 2023 means we've given up over $3 million and the program is basically dead.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
100%. He'll never get a gig like this again. The money he's getting is crazy. He should stay on and 'quiet quit' since he thinks he's half his actual age.
While you are correct, I recall when Butch Jones was being forced out. He wanted the money but ... his wife was getting spit on at the local Kroger (true story). I am sure his family is feeling a lot of pressure and who knows ... he may be open to a negotiated settlement.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Where did you come up with two drops and how much are each? I've heard conjecture about WHEN the buyout drops, but not that it drops twice...
It would be helpful to see the actual contract language. I've searched and haven't been able to find it, probably need to submit a public records required and I don't want to do that much work for message board posturing.

Everyone's aware the buyout drops at the end of this year, but I have seen little reference to a hard date. Journalists have referenced "end of the year/ end of the season" and the only ones I've seen reference an actual date say January 1st.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
From my understanding (various readings, both here and elsewhere), on Dec 1 the 2023 season drops off the buyout, and on Jan 1 the buyout changes from 100% of the remaining years to something less, like 50 or 75%.

Steven Godfrey (@38godfrey, hosts Split Zone Duo) did a subscriber's podcast last night about various openings and potential openings (he does one each week) and brought up Tech. He more or less confirmed those dates, but admits that that's from his industry sources as he is not a contract lawyer. He's got a lot of contacts among agents, coaches, and athletic departments and has rarely been wrong in the past, so I'd trust that.

GTweatherguy

Georgia Tech Fan
At this point, Todd should 1) relieve CGC of his duties and appoint an interim coach and 2) immediately send a request to alumni and fans for AT donations to cover the buyout. I’d send $500 over today and I’m sure we could quickly raise the $5-$10M to end this embarrassment.