Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Are the principal's cars still on campus? AD, CGC, others?
Allegedly TStan and Collins are still there. I'm not putting any stock in that on a Sunday night though. The people I've talked to would only know through somewhat distant reach so I can't trust it.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all stop with this crap. No one on here knows anything.
This is correct. Until the media breaks the news, it’s all just unsubstantiated rumors. If it didn’t happen during the day, it’s probably not happening until the end of the year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If they are actually meeting:
Arranging buyout for all parties
Planning path forward
Deciding what to do with AD
Getting parameters on search
Planning on the rest of the season
What other coaches responsibilities
Announcing press conference
When to meet with players

I could see this taking hours if not days.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
What I find most amusing is that anyone here actually believed Collins was getting fired today after the game yesterday. How many coaches have been fired at GT mid-season in any sport?
Well, B... L.... was fired with 3 games left in the season. Homer Rice went up to personally watch the nationally televised Thursday night game against Maryland in College Park and was so distressed by the lack of effort and passion in the one-sided loss that he said he felt like he had no choice but to fire him. I think we were 1-7 at the time with a win over Western Carolina (will history repeat?) GOL finished out the season as interim coach.

You had a qualifier about large buyouts and this was indeed a different time with smaller contracts and buyouts.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, B... L.... was fired with 3 games left in the season. Homer Rice went up to personally watch the nationally televised Thursday night game against Maryland in College Park and was so distressed by the lack of effort and passion in the one-sided loss that he said he felt like he had no choice but to fire him. I think we were 1-7 at the time with a win over Western Carolina (will history repeat?) GOL finished out the season as interim coach.

You had a qualifier about large buyouts and this was indeed a different time with smaller contracts and buyouts.
Bingo, BL was 1-7 on the season when he was fired. It will likely take something similar to that for Collins to be fired.

Almost everyone on this board wants CGC fired or believes he deserves to be fired (i'm in that group as well), but like I said, unless he gets to 1-5 or worse I don't think it happens until the end of the season because it likely does not make financial sense to do that until then.

GT was not an attractive job the last time around (part of the reason not many were interviewed is because not many were interested) and it is imo a less attractive job today. GT does not have a reputation for paying well. It does not have a reputation for being an easy place to coach. It does not have a reputation of being an easy place to recruit. It does not have a reputation as a place with alot of support from alumni/outside. The biggest positive it has is a reputation for being patient with coaches.

I'm well aware that CGC is 10-27, i'm well aware he has never won back to back games or won a game against a team that finished with a winning record. I personally think he is one of the 2 worst coaches i've seen coach at GT in 40+ years, but that doesn't change the fact that GT is not like a factory school that will fire a coach easily. I expect it will take something similar to BL's third season for Collins to potentially get fired before season's end.

Also, just because he isn't fired doesn't mean that GT does nothing. GT can certainly have feelers put out to get a sense of who may have some interest before he is ever fired, that happens all the time.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Bingo, BL was 1-7 on the season when he was fired. It will likely take something similar to that for Collins to be fired.

Almost everyone on this board wants CGC fired or believes he deserves to be fired (i'm in that group as well), but like I said, unless he gets to 1-5 or worse I don't think it happens until the end of the season because it likely does not make financial sense to do that until then.

GT was not an attractive job the last time around (part of the reason not many were interviewed is because not many were interested) and it is imo a less attractive job today. GT does not have a reputation for paying well. It does not have a reputation for being an easy place to coach. It does not have a reputation of being an easy place to recruit. It does not have a reputation as a place with alot of support from alumni/outside. The biggest positive it has is a reputation for being patient with coaches.

I'm well aware that CGC is 10-27, i'm well aware he has never won back to back games or won a game against a team that finished with a winning record. I personally think he is one of the 2 worst coaches i've seen coach at GT in 40+ years, but that doesn't change the fact that GT is not like a factory school that will fire a coach easily. I expect it will take something similar to BL's third season for Collins to potentially get fired before season's end.

Also, just because he isn't fired doesn't mean that GT does nothing. GT can certainly have feelers put out to get a sense of who may have some interest before he is ever fired, that happens all the time.
Interesting fact 1: Bill Lewis’ only win in 1994 was against Western Carolina. Collins was a student assistant at WCU during that game.

Interesting fact 2: The losses were an average of 2 TD’s and four of the teams were ranked in the top 25. Our losses so far this season average 36.5 points.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

By record alone, CGC is the worst coach in GT history. Our str of sch has been rough, but we've also lost to very bad teams. When you consider margin of loss, I have no problem saying worst coach ever.

Still, I agree with you that no decision will be made soon.

CGC in post-game said, "It's on me" and "I'm not going to throw a player under the bus." Nobody's dumb enuf to buy that double speak.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's really too bad and a disservice to the players and the fans to let this linger. At this point, even a casual observer knows that this is not going to work and basically by keeping things status quo we are just throwing in the towel on the remaining 9 games for this year. This is an insult to a proud institution that has always taken pride in its football program. The young men that represent the school must feel hopeless at this point. While they certainly bear some of the responsibility for the lack of effort and results, they also deserve an opportunity to regroup, reorganize and to try a different path that might lead to some degree of success and begin a move to respectability. I hope the leadership at Georgia Tech will display the courage and character required to make the changes necessary to set the program in a new direction.

Go Jackets!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It's really too bad and a disservice to the players and the fans to let this linger. At this point, even a casual observer knows that this is not going to work and basically by keeping things status quo we are just throwing in the towel on the remaining 9 games for this year. This is an insult to a proud institution that has always taken pride in its football program. The young men that represent the school must feel hopeless at this point. While they certainly bear some of the responsibility for the lack of effort and results, they also deserve an opportunity to regroup, reorganize and to try a different path that might lead to some degree of success and begin a move to respectability. I hope the leadership at Georgia Tech will display the courage and character required to make the changes necessary to set the program in a new direction.

Go Jackets!
Well said. I always appreciate your sensible perspective.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
GT was not an attractive job the last time around (part of the reason not many were interviewed is because not many were interested) and it is imo a less attractive job today.
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Moncken would have taken the job then, but no one asked. There were other spread option coaches who would have jumped at the chance as well. There was plenty of interest in taking over from Paul among option coaches. The problem was that no one wanted to ask them if they were interested. Paul said when he retired that he thought he left the sinews of a 7 - 8 win team behind him. He was right, but none of the Big Donors™ wanted that team. Too bad.

So we got Collins, largely because not many people who ran a regular shotgun spread (the real high school offense) wanted the challenge. I'll give him good intentions; he wants to succeed and make Tech football work. He can't do either, as four years have shown.