Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably officially told CGC (and ADTS) 6 wins or else. Nothing really to be gained by firing him now, might hang on to a few recruits, save $3.3M, maybe 1 in 100 we get to 6 wins.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What I find most amusing is that anyone here actually believed Collins was getting fired today after the game yesterday. How many coaches have been fired at GT mid-season in any sport? How many with a large buyout.

I could see him getting fired if he is like 1-5, otherwise I fully expect him to coach out the season. At the end of the season if he has fewer than 5 wins than I think he will be fired.

GT has a way of doing things and it is going to take more than a 1-2 start for a coach to get canned.
How many coaches have been as incompetent as Geoff Collins?
I don't know how many believed he would be fired as opposed to hoping he would be fired.
It's about a lot more than 1-2. It's about 10-27.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
They fired a guy who won 8 games two of the past 3 years. Hard to believe our standards are that much lower than ASU.
They aren’t. We just trapped us with this contract. Also edwards had trouble with the NCAA as well. Tech should win 8-10 games a year… problem is… we definitely aren’t doing that.

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
How many coaches have been as incompetent as Geoff Collins?
I don't know how many believed he would be fired as opposed to hoping he would be fired.
It's about a lot more than 1-2. It's about 10-27.
And this

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
What I find most amusing is that anyone here actually believed Collins was getting fired today after the game yesterday. How many coaches have been fired at GT mid-season in any sport? How many with a large buyout.

I could see him getting fired if he is like 1-5, otherwise I fully expect him to coach out the season. At the end of the season if he has fewer than 5 wins than I think he will be fired.

GT has a way of doing things and it is going to take more than a 1-2 start for a coach to get canned.
More like when he is 1-5. Duke is licking their chops for this team.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow

Sure, why not just let him go through 2025 then, right? Sorta like a kid that gets caught smoking and is forced to smoke a whole pack. That’ll teach him.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I’m not smart (didn’t get into GT), so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I say we identify and hire the next head coach now, fire Thacker and name the new coach DC (ala GOL) and special teams coach. Tell CGC this is the guy who’s replacing you at the end of the year, but he’s totally controlling everything on that side of the ball now. You can hang around if you want, Geoff, but you’re a dead man walking.

Okay, my fantasy is over now.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Damn stayed off the site for a while hoping for good news with the thread title. Guess I got Collins’ed

i ddon't think this is unique to Tech or Collins. I have seen it before. This feels like the TV special where Geraldo Rivera opened a safe or time capsule only to find there wasn't anything in it. Does anyone remember the specifics of this event? Had the exact same let-down feel as this thread.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’m not smart (didn’t get into GT), so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I say we identify and hire the next head coach now, fire Thacker and name the new coach DC (ala GOL) and special teams coach. Tell CGC this is the guy who’s replacing you at the end of the year, but he’s totally controlling everything on that side of the ball now. You can hang around if you want, Geoff, but you’re a dead man walking.

Okay, my fantasy is over now.

So who is on your currently unemployed (or at least not coaching) but I want them coaching at GT list?