Anthem Protests

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well if you don't know right from wrong then I guess there's nothing we can do. This young lady is paid nothing if I'm not mistaken. She just represents Georgia Tech and we have aome limp leadership that's "afraid of being adults and telling the children to behave". I deal with these type kids every day. They either follow the rules or back to Mommy's house they go.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well if you don't know right from wrong then I guess there's nothing we can do. This young lady is paid nothing if I'm not mistaken. She just represents Georgia Tech and we have aome limp leadership that's "afraid of being adults and telling the children to behave". I deal with these type kids every day. They either follow the rules or back to Mommy's house they go.
You have every right to your opinion but IMO calling someone a kid who should be living with their mommy just because they have an opinion that defers from your own is wrong.

Deleted member 2897

Everyone protests in their own way. I have no problem with kneeling for the anthem since it's a non-violent and non-aggressive symbol. Turning ones back or burning a flag is entirely different since that is active respect. Kneeling is more a symbol of praying things will get better. I respect this women's courage to kneel against the peer pressure f all others standing. But there may be consequences that she has to bear; I think there should be none but I am not in charge.

You might re-look at the picture to see which direction she was facing.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
If the President of the United States called me a SOB I would find some way to protest that was real visible.
In the middle of a stadium with 70K watching seems like a real good place to protest.

Being a uniformed veteran from the late 1960's I watched the flag being burned and it did not bother me. Freedom of speech.
Seeing the tape of the 4 protesting students killed at Kent State bothered the hell out of me. Freedom to kill is not in the Constitution.

Just saying.

Deleted member 2897

If the President of the United States called me a SOB I would find some way to protest that was real visible.
In the middle of a stadium with 70K watching seems like a real good place to protest.

Being a uniformed veteran from the late 1960's I watched the flag being burned and it did not bother me. Freedom of speech.
Seeing the tape of the 4 protesting students killed at Kent State bothered the hell out of me. Freedom to kill is not in the Constitution.

Just saying.
Legit question: Where and when is the least offensive time to protest?

I agree with the sentiment in both of these posts. However, there is the complicating factor that they are doing it at their place of employment. If their employer is okay with it, then no big deal. But the employer does have the right to not want to have to deal with it. Like lets say a player held up a 'Free Tibet' banner during the National Anthem before every game. The employer has the total and complete right to not want that distraction. So if they're okay with it, then so be it. But if someone wants to protest, they have a wealth of options available to them outside of work. They are celebrities after all - they could organize marches, gatherings, fund raising events, and so on.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You have every right to your opinion but IMO calling someone a kid who should be living with their mommy just because they have an opinion that defers from your own is wrong.
They have the right to their own opinion on their own time. When they're on my time, they follow the company rules. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp? I'm glad there's many that don't enforce rules so these kids have plenty of companies to grace with their special needs.

jeffgt14

I agree with the sentiment in both of these posts. However, there is the complicating factor that they are doing it at their place of employment. If their employer is okay with it, then no big deal. But the employer does have the right to not want to have to deal with it. Like lets say a player held up a 'Free Tibet' banner during the National Anthem before every game. The employer has the total and complete right to not want that distraction. So if they're okay with it, then so be it. But if someone wants to protest, they have a wealth of options available to them outside of work. They are celebrities after all - they could organize marches, gatherings, fund raising events, and so on.
Correct. Their employer has every right to allow it or disallow it. We have every right to boycott because we disagree with it. The employees/athletes/fans/students/etc also have every right to react if the employer/NFL/institution reacts and disallows something. Most of us aren’t in a position where if we protest something at our place of employment, there will be any noticeable retaliation once we get fired.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The players have the "right" to their "protest." The NFL has the "right" to fire them or condone them. I, and every other fan, has the "right" to suppprt same by purchasing tickets / watching....or......not.

My decision is made with regards to the NFL. I'm out, good bye and good riddance. My decision regarding GT is, I guess, pending at the moment.

jeffgt14

They have the right to their own opinion on their own time. When they're on my time, they follow the company rules. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp? I'm glad there's many that don't enforce rules so these kids have plenty of companies to grace with their special needs.
If you are their employer and it is on your time, you have every right to can them. Doesn’t take away the fact that I think your opinion and name calling is wrong.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I love how everyone is making a big deal of it once they saw it on twitter and not at the game. Didn't look like a successful silent protest to me if you have to actually state you're protestibg

Patriotism loving your country even through its flaws.

Nationalism is loving your country and wanting to get everyone out of your country who disagrees with that.

This is patriotism not nationalism which everyone here seems to be advocating for. The flag code explicitly states standing for the flag is reccomended but not disrespectful. Having an article of clothing, paper plate, or advertisements as a flag, however, is explicitly listed as disrespectful. So now that we know what the flag code actually says, why do we think people disagree with the kneeling?

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
The players have the "right" to their "protest." The NFL has the "right" to fire them or condone them. I, and every other fan, has the "right" to suppprt same by purchasing tickets / watching....or......not.

My decision is made with regards to the NFL. I'm out, good bye and good riddance. My decision regarding GT is, I guess, pending at the moment.

So if GT doesn't kick that young lady off the dance team, you will stop going to football games?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You might re-look at the picture to see which direction she was facing.

Yeah, I saw that she was at 90 degrees to the others. I don't know where the flags are but assume they are on the 50 yard line. So the flag corps on the extreme ends facing forward are not facing the flag either ....... just yanking your chain.

I really meant the namaste part though and respect people who disagree with me in good faith.

I thought about this more as I ran after the post. Would you be proud of your daughter if she did this? I think different people on this board would have different answers. I would be and think regardless of what happens in this situation, she will do fine in life since she will stand up (or kneel :cautious:) for her beliefs.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I love how everyone is making a big deal of it once they saw it on twitter and not at the game. Didn't look like a successful silent protest to me if you have to actually state you're protestibg

Patriotism loving your country even through its flaws.

Nationalism is loving your country and wanting to get everyone out of your country who disagrees with that.

This is patriotism not nationalism which everyone here seems to be advocating for. The flag code explicitly states standing for the flag is reccomended but not disrespectful. Having an article of clothing, paper plate, or advertisements as a flag, however, is explicitly listed as disrespectful. So now that we know what the flag code actually says, why do we think people disagree with the kneeling?
I think Title 36 USC 301 says something completely different with respect to the national anthem but maybe Obama got it changed? Is there a lawyer on the board here?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So if GT doesn't kick that young lady off the dance team, you will stop going to football games?

First of all I'm not "demanding" or even advocating throwing the young lady off the team. What I'm advocating is for the institute to make clear that this behavior shouldn't continue. And to make clear what repurcussions violaters will face. Be that suspensions from games or ultimately being kicked off the team.

In regards to your question. If the situation continues, maybe. I'll have a choice to make. If this grows further at Tech, almost certainly.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
First of all I'm not "demanding" or even advocating throwing the young lady off the team. What I'm advocating is for the institute to make clear that this behavior shouldn't continue. And to make clear what repurcussions violaters will face. Be that suspensions from games or ultimately being kicked off the team.

In regards to your question. If the situation continues, maybe. I'll have a choice to make. If this grows further at Tech, almost certainly.

Welp nice knowing ya. I hear that NASCAR races get pretty exciting the last 10 laps.