Anthem Protests

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Naw, I was just kidding.

Honestly though, to deny or punish people for protesting goes against everything this country is supposed to stand for.

It's not about punishing. It's about representing the institute and not offending alumni and fans when doing so.

I fully support her right to her opinion, misguided imo, and her right to express same. Just not while representing Tech during a school function.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Where does such free speech end? Should players be allowed to moon opposing fanbases? Or our own when the boo birds come out? Should the be allowed to give the crowd, tv viewership, opposing players, the one finger salute?

Should players be allowed to wear klan hats? Or wave ISIS flags?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If you are opposed to these demonstrations and opposed to divisiveness, then work together to solve any issues. I do agree there’s a problem because no one knows what anyone’s protesting anymore. I’m pretty certain the entire NFL was basically just protesting against being called SOB’s by the President which is wrong in its own right. Everyone on all sides just wants to complain and no one wants to take the open minded approach to resolve anything.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If you are opposed to these demonstrations and opposed to divisiveness, then work together to solve any issues. I do agree there’s a problem because no one knows what anyone’s protesting anymore. I’m pretty certain the entire NFL was basically just protesting against being called SOB’s by the President which is wrong in its own right. Everyone on all sides just wants to complain and no one wants to take the open minded approach to resolve anything.

You must not have been paying attention for the last year. This began as a protest against police in particular and national racism / oppression in general. It hasn't evolved since, it has simply grown.

jeffgt14

You must not have been paying attention for the last year. This began as a protest against police in particular and national racism / oppression in general. It hasn't evolved since, it has simply grown.
Yes I know what it began as but I don't think everyone is still aware of it anymore.

jeffgt14

I didn't say I don't know what they're protesting... I guarantee you if you ask a bunch of random people what they are protesting you would just get a "black's rights" or "racism" generic response.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Sports used to be a place where we could get away from all the politics of society and enjoy competition. I watched a documentary on GPTV last night about our soldiers in the Vietnam war...think all these protesters should watch that documentary. I for one have quit watching NFL and as much as I like my beloved jackets, if they were to start this on the football team, I would drop my tickets.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd be interested to see what the public perception would be if police refused to work security jobs at NFL games in the future. Those are part time jobs they work on the side.

Deleted member 2897

This. Yesterday a Packer player kneeled during the anthem because his wife is Puerto Rican and Puerto Rico got slammed by a hurricane.

I'm so confused.

I was watching I think it was a Kansas City Chiefs game a couple weeks ago. Maybe it was a Sunday or Monday night game, I can't remember. The National Anthem came on and some poor guy was sitting on the bench. I have no idea if it was a silent protest, if he was hurt, not done tying his shoes, or had irritable bowel syndrome and needed to stay seated. But I swear the network must have sent every photographer and cameraman they had in the entire stadium up into his face to take pictures and video. So its not just on the players' side - the networks or whoever is responsible for the coverage is also trying to blow things sky high out of proportion and create as much controversy as they possibly can. I'm sure they think it will help ratings, but I'm confident its the opposite.

The God Save the Queen stuff to me was funny - that's the country who literally exported slavery over to the US.

jeffgt14

I was watching I think it was a Kansas City Chiefs game a couple weeks ago. Maybe it was a Sunday or Monday night game, I can't remember. The National Anthem came on and some poor guy was sitting on the bench. I have no idea if it was a silent protest, if he was hurt, not done tying his shoes, or had irritable bowel syndrome and needed to stay seated. But I swear the network must have sent every photographer and cameraman they had in the entire stadium up into his face to take pictures and video. So its not just on the players' side - the networks or whoever is responsible for the coverage is also trying to blow things sky high out of proportion and create as much controversy as they possibly can. I'm sure they think it will help ratings, but I'm confident its the opposite.
Exactly why Kaepernick doesn't have a job too. No one wants the media attention. Same thing as Tebow. He wasn't a good QB but he's clearly good enough for a team's bench. Just not good enough for the bench and the media.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The anthem is not a symbol of that right IMHO.

I do think the whole thing is stupid though.

The AMERICAN flag and the NATIONAL Anthem are indeed symbols of our nation defined by the constitution with its bill of rights. Suggesting otherwise is just stupid, and I don't think you'd disagree if you didn't feel a need to somehow defend the nonsense.

Let's be real. The whole protest is a protest against our Nation, and those who participate should be treated as those who reject our nation rather than those who want to make it better.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I find the avenue of their protest to be distasteful, but accept of their right to free speech (still don't like it). To me this is far more divisive than asking to meet with the POTUS for a public Town Hall so we can all work together for a solution and not have all these pyscho (used this word rather than radical, intentionally) groups (nazis, antifa, all of UC Berkley) become violent and distructive. Now if people want to protest the protestors, that is fine too.

But please for the love of God, don't let protestors protest those protesting the protestors. If you do that, I'll struggle to keep up.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Let's be honest, no one even cared what anyone did during the national anthem before now. Now that someone has given a REASON for their actions during the national anthem, everyone is all of a sudden so patriotic. BULL.
7 years ago when I was at my son's football game I noticed some young men who now are encouraged to display their displeasure for the USA refraining from removing their ballcaps at a game. I contact the principal and had the announce say "gentlemen please remove your hats while we pay respects to our country during the national anthem". It didn't take long before they realized they were being stared at for being disrespectful and started behaving like the young men they are supposed to be. This crap starts at home and is anti-American and we all know it. I also know that not veryhring in our country is perfect. Arrange a demonstration if you want to and protest. Become a political activist. I encourage that as it makes our country stronger. But if you burn my flag, spit on veterans, etc you have gone too far. These kids need to understand what's acceptable and what's not. The adults are on the sidelines and it's not ok. Maybe we should burn some more cop cars? You ok with that?

jeffgt14

7 years ago when I was at my son's football game I noticed some young men who now are encouraged to display their displeasure for the USA refraining from removing their ballcaps at a game. I contact the principal and had the announce say "gentlemen please remove your hats while we pay respects to our country during the national anthem". It didn't take long before they realized they were being stared at for being disrespectful and started behaving like the young men they are supposed to be. This crap starts at home and is anti-American and we all know it. I also know that not veryhring in our country is perfect. Arrange a demonstration if you want to and protest. Become a political activist. I encourage that as it makes our country stronger. But if you burn my flag, spit on veterans, etc you have gone too far. These kids need to understand what's acceptable and what's not. The adults are on the sidelines and it's not ok. Maybe we should burn some more cop cars? You ok with that?
Who exactly are the “adults on the sidelines”? Those that agree with your opinion? None of these athletes are protesting for themselves. They’re millionaires. They are protesting for those that don’t have the same voice and the same pull, or as some apparently call “the non-adults”.

These athletes have plenty of supporters. Just because some don't agree with what they are doing doesn't mean they aren't helping those that agree.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everyone protests in their own way. I have no problem with kneeling for the anthem since it's a non-violent and non-aggressive symbol. Turning ones back or burning a flag is entirely different since that is active respect. Kneeling is more a symbol of praying things will get better. I respect this women's courage to kneel against the peer pressure f all others standing. But there may be consequences that she has to bear; I think there should be none but I am not in charge.

Freedom of speech and actions are essential to what I believe our country should stand for. It is what makes our country great and worth fighting for because it is the essence of freedom. But with it comes the responsibility of facing the consequences that society will give out. Breaking out an ISIS flag during our anthem would be dealt with differently than kneeling by society in general. I think BLM is generally very non-violent for the vast majority of the people. Likewise, I think that many people don't see the Confederate flag as inflammatory are non-violent and should be able to express their desire to keep statues / flags. The point is how to handle a protester depends on where society is at that point in time. And we should solve this through the political process in a non-violent manner (which is what I think most all on here would agree with).

As for the NFL, it is simply entertainment to me. I don't follow it much anymore since the teams are essentially all free agents without allegiance. People project the importance of the teams performance to the quality of their city. It happens with all sports (and the most rabid fans in the world are soccer fans). So if you don't like what entertainers do, tune them out. It's easy with so many choices. Namaste.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm on my third season of boycotting the NFL and I don't miss it. To be completely honest, I did watch the SB last year. Anyway, if BDS becomes a platform for protest, I am sure that I will find other ways to spend my time and money. BTW, I'm a GT alum season ticket holder and not just a sidewalk fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk