Anthem Protests

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
There's a guy on stingtalk who spams threads that he doesn't like with orangutans or puking women. I guess ice cream is slightly more mature. o_O
That’s actually pretty funny. Anyways, my argument from the beginning of this thread is they have every right to protest in the way they are doing it (whether the reason is justified or not) and that we should be respectful of their protest and try to listen with an open mind and settle any issues because I am 100% for a protest that is completely nonviolent in every way. Most protests break out into some sort of violence whether physical or verbal assaults at one another. I disagree with the name calling, boycotting because the way they are protesting makes us uncomfortable, and just the overall F you you’re wrong attitude from all sides.

I’m not certain the race card is always the reason for police killings. I will certainly attest to the fact that race is involved in profiling to pull people over and whatnot but even then I’m not 100% certain it’s due to race or due to appearance (i.e. who’s more likely to be profiled: Wayne Brady or a white dude who looks like Jamie Kennedy’s B-Rad). I think certain cards get pulled way too often when they are not in fact the case. I don’t believe for a second the GT cop shot the transgender student because they were trans even though plenty of people believe that to be the case. It just doesn’t add up. I’m not going to call Michael Bennett a liar, but everything he claims happened to him in Vegas doesn’t add up one bit. If what he claims happened actually happened, which I have not seen evidence to prove either, it reads more to me like excessive use of police force 100 times more than something happening just because he was black. If all reports are that a gunman is a black male, why are police supposed to ignore that? Should they waste their time making sure some Chinese woman doesn’t have a gun because they are ignoring the reports describing what someone looks like?

I will say that if what seems like 90+% of black people agree with the protests and agree that minorities are being oppressed then there’s a pretty damn good chance something is wrong. I don’t believe that thing wrong is police just deciding they want to kill black criminals and not white criminals but there is perhaps some kind of training that can be done to help alleviate the issues as well as a general more openness from the police about why things are done a certain way so the public may be more knowledgeable.

I don’t believe the protests this past weekend are the same as the protests Kaep started. The protests from this weekend seem to more of a response to the POTUS calling their own SOB’s and trying to generate a boycott of the NFL. I don’t believe a lot of the owner’s that came down to also are protesting black oppression and I’m sure many of them disagree with protesting the flag themselves. I think personal feelings get set aside when it comes to keeping your business running. You aren’t getting that big free agent if you’re the owner punishing players for protesting. I also doubt Trump gives 2 ****s about the NFL protests but he knows his supporters do.

Yes I am a disabled veteran. Yes they have a right to protest. There is a time and a place for everything. If the are you rotesting so called police brutality, then why do it during the national anthem. Why are they not protesting in front of LOCAL police stations where the incidents have occurred? Singleing out the flag is disrespectful anyway you look at it. We as nation should not be divided but sadly the media and certain groups push it this way. You want me to respect your protest donit where it should be don't take the cowardly way out.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Yes I am a disabled veteran. Yes they have a right to protest. There is a time and a place for everything. If the are you rotesting so called police brutality, then why do it during the national anthem. Why are they not protesting in front of LOCAL police stations where the incidents have occurred? Singleing out the flag is disrespectful anyway you look at it. We as nation should not be divided but sadly the media and certain groups push it this way. You want me to respect your protest donit where it should be don't take the cowardly way out.

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I find it a bit ironic.....some who defend the protests as acts of free speech....denounce others who "take offense" and would exercise their own freedom to avoid that perceived offensive speech.

NFL chooses, schools choose, fans choose. Pretty simple.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, here's an apparent quote from the NFL's Games Operations Manual via TimeInc.net
The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.​
So, all of those pious posts suggesting that there was no rule on this are nonsense. I wonder if anyone posting that Ben Shapiro was in error will clarify their position.

We already know that some who were confident in posting in support of the protesters have gone silent when asked to move beyond emotion. I wonder if anyone will respond to this data.

I suspect more childish ice cream posts because liberals are afraid of respectful rational discussion. Please, prove me wrong.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm curious to see what NFL attendance and tv ratings look like this weekend.

If I had to guess though I imagine the dropoff won't be huge. I think the dropoff more likely becomes apparent next year when it's time to renew tix.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This kind of rhetoric from both liberals and conservatives drive me up the wall.

Then prove me wrong by engaging in respectful conversation.

Make the case that America oppresses black people and people of color.

Make the case for rejecting the decals in support of Dallas fallen police is okay while permitting the disrespect of the flag. Both violate NFL rules which can subject you to penalty.

Rather than rejecting the reality from the abstract, defend the reality in the concrete.

Or go silent. Or talk about ice cream.

jeffgt14

Then prove me wrong by engaging in respectful conversation.

Make the case that America oppresses black people and people of color.

Make the case for rejecting the decals in support of Dallas fallen police is okay while permitting the disrespect of the flag. Both violate NFL rules which can subject you to penalty.

Rather than rejecting the reality from the abstract, defend the reality in the concrete.

Or go silent. Or talk about ice cream.
I provided my response earlier and I certainly agree the two faced nature of the NFL not allowing those decals is BS. The NFL is a business. The side they choose is going to be the side that they establish as putting them in the best media spotlight and angers the least amount of their viewers and employees. If they deem that decals is going to piss more viewers off than no decals, they are going to choose no decals. Don't think for a second the NFL is this moral organization that is standing up for what they feel is right. It's a giant game to piss off the least amount of their viewers and employees no matter how contracting something may seem.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I provided my response earlier and I certainly agree the two faced nature of the NFL not allowing those decals is BS. The NFL is a business. The side they choose is going to be the side that they establish as putting them in the best media spotlight and angers the least amount of their viewers and employees. If they deem that decals is going to piss more viewers off than no decals, they are going to choose no decals. Don't think for a second the NFL is this moral organization that is standing up for what they feel is right. It's a giant game to piss off the least amount of their viewers and employees no matter how contracting something may seem.

Great. Why isn't the Democratic Party, the most organized voice of American liberals making this point?

If my post against Liberals drives you up the wall, explain why. To be clear, it must also parse the distinction between the individuals and conservatives,

jeffgt14

Great. Why isn't the Democratic Party, the most organized voice of American liberals making this point?

If my post against Liberals drives you up the wall, explain why. To be clear, it must also parse the distinction between the individuals and conservatives,
To be clear, I said when both liberals and conservatives use it. IMO it sort of reiterates the reason why a solution can never be reached. Both sides think the other is incapable of having a rational discussion. Both sides think the other is too closed minded and hard headed to discuss something so they themselves refuse to discuss with an open mind.