Andrew Thacker

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In case anyone missed it, GT's defense moved up to #46 in Defensive FEI even with a loss last week.

Say what you want about Thacker, but his defensive unit has improved a LOT since CGC was fired. It's rare to see that kind of improvement year to year, but he's doing in season and in the last 4 weeks.

Thacker Backer

Georgia Tech Fan
In case anyone missed it, GT's defense moved up to #46 in Defensive FEI even with a loss last week.

Say what you want about Thacker, but his defensive unit has improved a LOT since CGC was fired. It's rare to see that kind of improvement year to year, but he's doing in season and in the last 4 weeks.
"Say what you want about Thacker" - I think I will. Andrew Thacker is a great young man of solid character. My daughter attended North Forsyth HS in Cumming with him. He transferred his Senior year to Gainesville HS because his Stepfather, legendary coach Bruce Miller, took the head coaching job. Bruce had just lead North Forsyth to the final 4. Andrew became very much like Bruce, a leader of men on and off the field. He was an overachiever in high school and at Furman. He was a hard tackling Safety with a high football IQ. You would want your sons to play for this guy. He is honest, straight forward and no theatrics. He is young, got the GaTech DC job at 35. I hope whoever the new HC is doesn't jump too quickly to bring in his guy.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
"Say what you want about Thacker" - I think I will. Andrew Thacker is a great young man of solid character. My daughter attended North Forsyth HS in Cumming with him. He transferred his Senior year to Gainesville HS because his Stepfather, legendary coach Bruce Miller, took the head coaching job. Bruce had just lead North Forsyth to the final 4. Andrew became very much like Bruce, a leader of men on and off the field. He was an overachiever in high school and at Furman. He was a hard tackling Safety with a high football IQ. You would want your sons to play for this guy. He is honest, straight forward and no theatrics. He is young, got the GaTech DC job at 35. I hope whoever the new HC is doesn't jump too quickly to bring in his guy.
Agree with this perspective. I don't know him on the personal level you do - but believe in his commitment to the team and getting better. I don't think things are as bad as they seemed or maybe even as good as they look now, but I believe he is coming into his own. I hope he can find his way to stay and keep his staff together.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I didn’t realize that Thacker and Key were both at UCF at the same time for two separate years. If Key does well enough to get the job permanently, I think the chances of Thacker staying are pretty good

If Key does well enough to get the job permanently it will be largely due to the sudden improvement of our defense, so he would be a fool to dump Thacker.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
As someone who also went to NFHS with Thacker, I second this statement. Very intelligent and even higher character. Glad we didn't throw him out with Collins.

JacketFan137

Banned
I’m holding out for when we play good offenses. UNC is going to be telling.

Without a doubt, our defense has been night and day different since we canned CGC. Thacker certainly looks like he was held back and has to boys playing MEAN right now.
we looked so utterly incompetent against everyone before i am starting to think thacker is pretty good. my view went from “how is this guy a p5 dc” to “if we don’t renew him then he’s gonna end up somewhere in the acc”

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Man, this thread was really active, then just completely silent, and now suddenly active again. Wonder what happened around halloween to make people stop posting in here.

Deleted member 4873

Coaches have different styles. I can state with knowledge that Coach Collins micromanaged ALL aspects of the team. Offense, defense and special teams. He did not delegate. Personally, I like Coach Collins a lot but his style was not successful at GT and it hampered his assistants. I also know Coach Thacker and agree with you comments.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Key does well enough to get the job permanently it will be largely due to the sudden improvement of our defense, so he would be a fool to dump Thacker.

I can tell you this. Thacker cares, with a capital C. A very good friend of mine (and a Tech grad) is his neighbor and says that Thacker lives and dies with the outcome of these games.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, this thread was really active, then just completely silent, and now suddenly active again. Wonder what happened around halloween to make people stop posting in here.
The FSU game was definitely a reality check. Gave up over 600 yards and FSU never punted. We did get a 4th down stop and 2 turnovers, (1 of which was a goal line gift), but it was pretty rough. Offense did them no favors.

However, 1 bad game in 5 since the coaching change is a big improvement over what we had been seeing before the change.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
UNC will hang 40 on us. Their offense is legit. Our defense can’t deal with that level offense
Your probably right. I also want to point out that people are not saying we suddenly have an all world Defense. But rather the defense has made amazing strides since CGC was fired and now looks to be a decent/serviceable defense.

Throw in our recruiting limitations and I think Thacker is doing a good job in a short time. EVEN IF UNC hangs 40 on us. What would happen if Thacker had those 3 years over agian without Numb Nuts holding him back?

I find it so odd that things are never binary, yet so many people want to argue one way or the other. Its called Gray Scale