Andrew Thacker

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He is the only person who has been nominated three times for his work at three different schools. I know you and everyone else hates him right now, but to suggest he was not a good DC is just you acting out in spite and not using your head.

By the way, it is 60 nominees out of 1200 assistant coaches. Getting nominated three times at three different schools is a big accomplishment,
Nobody is acting out, I just don't think it's that big of an accomplishment - we can agree to disagree. I don't think it's that big a deal Brent Key was nominated for a Broyles Award either.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is acting out, I just don't think it's that big of an accomplishment - we can agree to disagree. I don't think it's that big a deal Brent Key was nominated for a Broyles Award either.
Getting a single nominee is not that big of an accomplishment.
Getting two nominees at two separate schools (Key) is kind of a big accomplishment.
Getting three nominees at three separate schools (Collins) is a great accomplishment.

Also, he was never one of 60. He was one of 34, 40, and 36 out of 1200-1300 assistants.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree about that, Collins wanted a young DC who he could control, micro-manage and override his in-game calls, Woody would Not have put up with that crap for a minute. Still Woody’s def was really bad here, i’m not sure anybody would have retained him.

We had deficiencies in our DL even with 4. Woody's scheme as I recall was a 3 DL. We had no big middle man to demand a double team. His scheme was weak until he could get the right personnel. We had a similar problem with the DE player types as well and that bled over into the LBs. Woody needed time to get and develop a more favorable roster to fit his scheme.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I think with Woody, it wasn't a lack of personnel so much as just getting comfortable with the system. The one big advantage of his 3-4 system is that he didn't need a huge space-eating 2-gap NG. He would have his NG slant to one gap and try to penetrate and cause disruption. His scheme was entirely based on speed and being disruptive in the backfield. I was really sorry that we didn't get a chance to see the players get comfortable in his defense. I felt like his defense would have given us the unique scheme that would have complemented CPJs offense nicely.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We had deficiencies in our DL even with 4. Woody's scheme as I recall was a 3 DL. We had no big middle man to demand a double team. His scheme was weak until he could get the right personnel. We had a similar problem with the DE player types as well and that bled over into the LBs. Woody needed time to get and develop a more favorable roster to fit his scheme.

Woody's scheme actually didn't rely on a space eater middle. He used blitzing to bring 4 form odd angles and even the nose still only had single gap repsonsibility. The issue was it was a "scheme" defense that took time to teach.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The work that Travares Tillman has done with the DBs is incredible and cannot be understated. He needs to be on staff next year regardless of who is head coach or DC.
Agreed! Plus, I actually see our DB's forcing WRs to the sideline to use the sideline as a defender. Little things go a long way to improving the defense.

I suppose it's all just a big guess at this point if anyone on the staff will be retained. The new HC will likely want to bring in his guys. That said, if CBK gets the job, I would think it's a lot more likely that more coaches are retained.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agreed! Plus, I actually see our DB's forcing WRs to the sideline to use the sideline as a defender. Little things go a long way to improving the defense.

I suppose it's all just a big guess at this point if anyone on the staff will be retained. The new HC will likely want to bring in his guys. That said, if CBK gets the job, I would think it's a lot more likely that more coaches are retained.
The NIL Portal world says "players have a voice ".
A few weeks ago i was thinking that a total change of hc, ast coaches, and players wiuld be good.

If they go to a bowl, no way its a fruit basket turnover.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Getting a single nominee is not that big of an accomplishment.
Getting two nominees at two separate schools (Key) is kind of a big accomplishment.
Getting three nominees at three separate schools (Collins) is a great accomplishment.

Also, he was never one of 60. He was one of 34, 40, and 36 out of 1200-1300 assistants.
But we all know the a (so called) good defensive coordinator does not always make a good or fair Head coach

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The NIL Portal world says "players have a voice ".
A few weeks ago i was thinking that a total change of hc, ast coaches, and players wiuld be good.

If they go to a bowl, no way its a fruit basket turnover.
I agree. If the team keeps playing like this it will be tough to not offer it to CBK, who I kind of think would likely retain a lot of the current staff.

It really hard to understand how drastic the turnaround has been. I'm happy for CBK and the players.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I just hope Collins gets hired somewhere quickly because he and his clan need to find another place to post.

I'd be highly surprised if Shawn Elliot doesn't get a different gig than georgia state with all the openings that may open up after the first round. Collins would likley land there. All the ATL branding works for them too.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd be highly surprised if Shawn Elliot doesn't get a different gig than georgia state with all the openings that may open up after the first round. Collins would likley land there. All the ATL branding works for them too.
He doesn't strike me as a guy that would make a move like that. I think he goes back to being an elite DC somewhere (come on...you chuckled)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach Thacker seems to have their attention in meetings on side lines. Lots of discussion

He is one intense guy.

Maybe he has simplified his instructions.

UVA was passing great last year and now are doing bad - maybe we have great game!
thack givn the ju ju.jpg

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Coach Thacker seems to have their attention in meetings on side lines. Lots of discussion

He is one intense guy.

Maybe he has simplified his instructions.

UVA was passing great last year and now are doing bad - maybe we have great game!View attachment 13312
Remember during the Ole Miss game when people were furious at Thacker for looking at a tablet/play sheets on the sideline away from the team?

Boy the attitude towards Thacker has shifted dramatically in the last 3 weeks