Andrew Thacker

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Your probably right. I also want to point out that people are not saying we suddenly have an all world Defense. But rather the defense has made amazing strides since CGC was fired and now looks to be a decent/serviceable defense.

Throw in our recruiting limitations and I think Thacker is doing a good job in a short time. EVEN IF UNC hangs 40 on us. What would happen if Thacker had those 3 years over agian without Numb Nuts holding him back?

I find it so odd that things are never binary, yet so many people want to argue one way or the other. Its called Gray Scale
Not to quote my own post, but I just realized I said something I NEVER dreamed I would say

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Heard during the game announcers mention Thacker going over with Defense about missed forced turnover opportunities. This is where Thacker is helping make the Defense good and realistically in this era of offensive football what you have to focus on. Outside of ugag no team has a defense good enough to lockdown an opposing offense.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
While im obviously not a fan of Collins, I will defend him a bit here. Our best defensive performance of the season was against UCF. The game that got Collins fired. He was a part of that so im not sure he was really holding the defense back that much. I think it was going to improve either way. Especially when we started playing more teams with mediocre offenses.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just re-watched the VT game. And yet again, I'm struck by the way our defense played. Lights out. Darkside, indeed.

I also gotta say - at the start of the year, I could not imagine our defense being top 5 in anything...much less announcers waxing on about it. Love that our forced turnovers and turnover margins are so solid.

I do feel like I completely misjudged Andrew Thacker's - and our defense's - capabilities. Couldn't be happier to have to eat crow about something.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I hope whoever the new HC is doesn't jump too quickly to bring in his guy.
I hear you, but unless we retain Key then Thacker has to go. Retaining part of a prior staff when changing head coaches can create a serious culture problem. Nothing against the guy at this point, just more of a necessity to ensure the best chance of success moving forward.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Slim chance any of them will be around next year. But, I was wrong about Thacker and he will make someone a good DC. Makes me wonder about Coach Pat now. Were we wrong about him?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Slim chance any of them will be around next year. But, I was wrong about Thacker and he will make someone a good DC. Makes me wonder about Coach Pat now. Were we wrong about him?

Oh No What GIF by Jackson-Triggs

Ooooh, that's now a good question.....

CEB

Helluva Engineer
given where we have been and what we have seen, its probably fair to question just about all of it. I'm glad we have fresh eyes making decisions and I hope they are approaching it with no preconceived notions.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Thacker and Key have improved their resumes. My fear is a new coach will lose a lot of our best players in the portal. Both loyalty to the old staff and not wanting to go through a major change of coaching staff and probably new schemes

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Both loyalty to the old staff and not wanting to go through a major change of coaching staff and probably new schemes

Entering the transfer portal almost certainly guarantees a major change of coaching staff and probably new schemes.

Edit to add agree that the new coach has a lot of recruiting to do vis a vis current players.