Am i the oldest poster/Tech fan on this board

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Neat video!

Notice GT in G/W/WHITE that day.

Also notice how they pronounced “McNames”.

That was the game Rice showed up for with their usual "road white" jerseys. Old friends & coaching legends Dodd & Jess Neely hadn't talked about it. The blue tops worn by Rice in the 1961 footage were Tech's dark jerseys.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Take care of your heart and you’ll make it

Congrats, but somebody screwed the streak up. Any idea who it was?

Secondly applying the GT Football theorem if we never beat good teams to those game results- the mutts had down years all those years!
It was Theron Sapp (UGA Fullback) who screwed the streak up. Additionally, our team of consisted heavily of sophomores (first year players because freshmen did not play in those years). Final score: 7-0, bad guys. As to the mutts having down years, one of their QBs during their 8-year drought was none other than AA Zeke Bratkowski who went on to play QB in the pros for 14 years.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
You got me beat. First quarterback for me was Billy Lothridge who succeeded Stat "the Man" Gann circa 1962 or thereabouts. One thing about Lothridge, he wore Georgia out winning three years in a row. A feat not duplicated for nearly 40 years.
AA Billy the Kid Lothridge was a teammate of AA Billy Martin at Gainesville, GA and played in the State of Georgia high school North-South all star game at the end of his high school senior year. Billy Lothridge played linebacker in that game, so it was a surprise to me when he played QB at Tech. Truly one of the most gifted, versatile, and competitive players ever to play at Tech.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
It was Theron Sapp (UGA Fullback) who screwed the streak up. Additionally, our team of consisted heavily of sophomores (first year players because freshmen did not play in those years). Final score: 7-0, bad guys. As to the mutts having down years, one of their QBs during their 8-year drought was none other than AA Zeke Bratkowski who went on to play QB in the pros for 14 years.
Charley Britt was the UGAG starting quarterback in 1957(He was 2nd string quarterback behind Fran Tarkington and played defense in 1958 and 1959). Charley Britt was a DB for the LA Rams from 1960-1964.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Charley Britt was the UGAG starting quarterback in 1957(He was 2nd string quarterback behind Fran Tarkington and played defense in 1958 and 1959). Charley Britt was a DB for the LA Rams from 1960-1964.
No doubt this was way before QBs took up dancing around in the backfield for a living. Could you imagine a modern day QB lining up as a middle linebacker? Would look like a practice dummy and the entire offense would be trying to hit it.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Wade Mitchell and I were in the first grade together at E Rivers, my Dad (who played for Heisman) introduced me to coach Alec when he was taking me to a game in the forties. Man this is making me feel old 'cause I am- 84 but still motoring, work out 3x per wk etc, but it gets harder each year. Very grateful to be "vertical" God is good!!! Appreciate all you wonderful Jacket lovers every time I'm on here which is quite often. Thanks to all for your input. PS I also played mite FB at Fritz Orr's. We used to play the Athens YMCA.
My first cousin is married to a GT alum in his 90's that still goes to all the dawg/jacket FB games both home and away.
You gotta keep going and keep the mind working, makes a big difference IMO.
Wow Stinger, thought I might be the oldest at 75, soon to be 76 in September. You are correct, gotta keep moving, stretch every day and get the heart rate up 3 to 4 times per week. Still have my season tix for football & basketball.For me it's always been THWG !!

mistaben

Georgia Tech Fan
Wade Mitchell and I were in the first grade together at E Rivers, my Dad (who played for Heisman) introduced me to coach Alec when he was taking me to a game in the forties. Man this is making me feel old 'cause I am- 84 but still motoring, work out 3x per wk etc, but it gets harder each year. Very grateful to be "vertical" God is good!!! Appreciate all you wonderful Jacket lovers every time I'm on here which is quite often. Thanks to all for your input. PS I also played mite FB at Fritz Orr's. We used to play the Athens YMCA.
My first cousin is married to a GT alum in his 90's that still goes to all the dawg/jacket FB games both home and away.
You gotta keep going and keep the mind working, makes a big difference IMO.

Great post. If you and Wade were in school together, then you are old! But can you tell me what the "E" in E Rivers stands for?
BTW, I took a canoe trip (with a group of kids) down Sewanee River down to Gulf Coast with Fritz Orr in late 1959. Great outdoorsman, fun guy. Keep up the workouts.

mistaben

Georgia Tech Fan
Theron Sapp? UGA thought so much of his scoring the only TD to break the drought they retired his number alongside truly great players Hershel and Sinkwich both of who won Heismans. Dodd himself said that there was "nothing special about Theron, just a good old plugging fullback but he was great that day"

I saw Theron up close at the Tech/GA freshman game - the boy had no front teeth. Your quintessential redneck. No sh_t.

BTW, if you google Theron, you also get
th

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Great post. If you and Wade were in school together, then you are old! But can you tell me what the "E" in E Rivers stands for?
BTW, I took a canoe trip (with a group of kids) down Sewanee River down to Gulf Coast with Fritz Orr in late 1959. Great outdoorsman, fun guy. Keep up the workouts.

RE: "E" in E Rivers at one time I heard but I could not tell you today, maybe Wade could get on here and tell us, he was the smartest student I was ever around, he and Dickie Mattison (sp?) graduated from Tech with the highest pt averages at that time, not me, I was just damn glad to graduate, "get out"!!!! since a bunch of us old farts are on here, anybody got any cures for arthritis, stuff is eating my lunch?
What I most remember about Fritz Orr was he had a big red stallion and had me ride that sucker one day and that rascal threw me and I landed and peeled all the skin off the back of my shoulder, bleeding like a stuck pig and Fritz ran over there and made me get back up on that big fella and boy I did not want to, but he was right.
I bet that canoe trip was fun.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I grew up in Charlotte and saw Dickie Mattison play high school ball. He and Ken Owen from Salisbury about 40 miles up the road were two terrific FBs in the same class. Almost a shame they had to share the position at Tech.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I grew up in Charlotte and saw Dickie Mattison play high school ball. He and Ken Owen from Salisbury about 40 miles up the road were two terrific FBs in the same class. Almost a shame they had to share the position at Tech.

I used to think the same thing about them sharing the same position. Ken ran with those knees flying up in the air, hated trying to tackle him. i was a walk on for two years. I took Freddie Lanoues (sp?) water survival class with Ken and Freddie would prove to you that every one can float, Ken was the only one in the class that could not float, he was just all muscle, so i always assumed that was the reason.