Am i the oldest poster/Tech fan on this board

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Did you ever see Billy Teas play? I believe he was from Asheville.

I saw Billy play both at Baylor Prep Chattanooga and Tech, as "jacketup" used to say, "that boy could motor" and he could. Had little old skinny legs but boy could he fly and he was tough. Dodd got a lot of great players from Baylor during those years, Leon Hardeman, Jake Shoemaker, and many others.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw Teas play. My cousin, who is a Dawg and knows a lot of football, said on a number of occasions that he thought Teas was the best white running back he had ever seen. I'll never forget Dodd dismissing Teas from the team for missing curfew several days before the Duke game (a really big rivalry game for us then). Teas was in the process of putting together an AA season, but that Saturday in Durham our sophomore backs, especially Jimmy Thompson, ran wild for three quarters and built up a 20 - 0 lead. Then they ran out of gas. I was sick as a dog in bed listening to it on radio (Add Penfield, 'Voice of the Blue Devils'). We lost 21 - 20. ARRRGG!!! I had several really obnoxious Duke-loving HS classmates who never missed an opportunity to rub it in. Believe me, back then, for a North Carolinian, losing to Dook was much worse than losing to Georgia.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I saw Teas play. My cousin, who is a Dawg and knows a lot of football, said on a number of occasions that he thought Teas was the best white running back he had ever seen. I'll never forget Dodd dismissing Teas from the team for missing curfew several days before the Duke game (a really big rivalry game for us then). Teas was in the process of putting together an AA season, but that Saturday in Durham our sophomore backs, especially Jimmy Thompson, ran wild for three quarters and built up a 20 - 0 lead. Then they ran out of gas. I was sick as a dog in bed listening to it on radio (Add Penfield, 'Voice of the Blue Devils'). We lost 21 - 20. ARRRGG!!! I had several really obnoxious Duke-loving HS classmates who never missed an opportunity to rub it in. Believe me, back then, for a North Carolinian, losing to Dook was much worse than losing to Georgia.

I think there were 2 other players kicked off at the same time, but I don't remember who they were? Dodd had some young but really outstanding players coming along and I think he felt that that group of 3 was having a bad influence on his up and coming squad and he needed to do what he did, but that game was a real heart breaker the way i remember it. That era was the greatest of GTFB IMO, but I'm prejudiced 'cause it was during my time in school. We never lost to the dawgs and I sometimes think the dawgs from that era still have a hangover from it.
I remember how it was back then about the Duke/NC thing, but to be honest when the GT students went to Durham for a game, they stayed at Chapel Hill 'cause they could not stand to be around the Dukies. At least that's the way I remember it. Lot more fun at CH.

Last edited:

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Wade Mitchell and I were in the first grade together at E Rivers, my Dad (who played for Heisman) introduced me to coach Alec when he was taking me to a game in the forties. Man this is making me feel old 'cause I am- 84 but still motoring, work out 3x per wk etc, but it gets harder each year. Very grateful to be "vertical" God is good!!! Appreciate all you wonderful Jacket lovers every time I'm on here which is quite often. Thanks to all for your input. PS I also played mite FB at Fritz Orr's. We used to play the Athens YMCA.
My first cousin is married to a GT alum in his 90's that still goes to all the dawg/jacket FB games both home and away.
You gotta keep going and keep the mind working, makes a big difference IMO.
84 beats my 81, I'm happy to say. Like you, I work out 3x a week and, like you, I find it gets harder each year. I think I may cut back when I reach 85 or 90. :inpain:

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
RE: "E" in E Rivers at one time I heard but I could not tell you today, maybe Wade could get on here and tell us, he was the smartest student I was ever around, he and Dickie Mattison (sp?) graduated from Tech with the highest pt averages at that time, not me, I was just damn glad to graduate, "get out"!!!! since a bunch of us old farts are on here, anybody got any cures for arthritis, stuff is eating my lunch?
What I most remember about Fritz Orr was he had a big red stallion and had me ride that sucker one day and that rascal threw me and I landed and peeled all the skin off the back of my shoulder, bleeding like a stuck pig and Fritz ran over there and made me get back up on that big fella and boy I did not want to, but he was right.
I bet that canoe trip was fun.

I "cured" my arthritis by accident, Stinger. I was addressing a different issue that put me in the hospital for extensive tests and diagnosis. Immediately and cold turkey I gave up refined sugar, fried foods, refined wheat, and other foods generally considered toxic. I lost 45lbs. and also to my delight my extensive arthritis had faded away.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I will be 77 in September. Lotheridge was in my class and I never considered the leg humpers seriously as I was an out of state student and we dominated. I don't work out 3 times a week but I do play golf 3 times per week and drink 3 beers a day. Does that count?
Cheers

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
84 beats my 81, I'm happy to say. Like you, I work out 3x a week and, like you, I find it gets harder each year. I think I may cut back when I reach 85 or 90. :inpain:

I have gradually over the years cut back each year in some small way so that today is somewhat less than it was 10 to 15 years ago and essobee thanks, I think you probably have something there.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't work out but I have watched people who do and I get tired just watching. Now to say a don't work out is a little misleading I do drink 4 beers each night and I moved my chair as far from the bathroom as I could. You know walking is good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't work out but I have watched people who do and I get tired just watching. Now to say a don't work out is a little misleading I do drink 4 beers each night and I moved my chair as far from the bathroom as I could. You know walking is good.
Each beer is a 12 oz curl, as well!!!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My first game was 1957 vs "dandy" Don Meredith and SMU. Motivated by stories of my cousin , Clint Castleberry, and an uncle I was able to attend and then graduate in 1968-- going to Orange Bowl in '66..
I was also at that game. 1957 was the first year my dad included me in seeing every home game. My first game was the previous year. I saw us lose to Johnny Majors and Tennessee. I will be 76 in 2 weeks.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I was also at that game. 1957 was the first year my dad included me in seeing every home game. My first game was the previous year. I saw us lose to Johnny Majors and Tennessee. I will be 76 in 2 weeks.
I was a student at that 1956 Tennessee /Georgia Tech game and what a sickening loss. Lot of the players felt like Frank Broyles caused the loss of that game. I don't know whether you remember they threw a pass to their end and Wade Mitchell and Paul rotenberry collided with each other tackling the guy and he broke loose and ran down to like the three yard line and they took that single wing and got it on in and miss the extra point. Many of us thought that we would win that game 7 to 6. But as you know we did not and it was the only game we lost that year. I've often thought that that was Dodds very best team, even better than the 52 national championship team. The only other Dodd team that was maybe better was the 1951 team that had a tie with Duke on it's record. Of course this is all in my opinion and I'm sure there were many of that era that might disagree with me. Whatever, it was probably the greatest era of GT football ever, certainly we've had some really great teams over the years.

I was a student at that 1956 Tennessee /Georgia Tech game and what a sickening loss. Lot of the players felt like Frank Broyles caused the loss of that game. I don't know whether you remember they threw a pass to their end and Wade Mitchell and Paul rotenberry collided with each other tackling the guy and he broke loose and ran down to like the three yard line and they took that single wing and got it on in and miss the extra point. Many of us thought that we would win that game 7 to 6. But as you know we did not and it was the only game we lost that year. I've often thought that that was Dodds very best team, even better than the 52 national championship team. The only other Dodd team that was maybe better was the 1951 team that had a tie with Duke on it's record. Of course this is all in my opinion and I'm sure there were many of that era that might disagree with me. Whatever, it was probably the greatest era of GT football ever, certainly we've had some really great teams over the years.
There was a time when that '56 Tech-UT game was considered the best college football game every played.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
There was a time when that '56 Tech-UT game was considered the best college football game every played.

Yep, sure it was, great defense kicking game battle between the number 2 and 3 team in the nation if I'm not mistaken. I remember sitting in the "robbery" that sat morning between classes talking to a couple of our players. Today that seems so strange, but our players went to class before every sat home game if you remember. None of this leaving campus on Fri and spending the night in hotel. Change is constant