All ACC Team Announced

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow.... none on the defense.... that's rough.

Harvin 2nd team?!?! Ha.

I don't think "none on defense" is that surprising, although I do believe ASA deserved consideration for sure. The D was plain and simple awful this year, other than the takeaway stat. As I sit here and think about it, we won as a team, and I really don't think anyone other than Pressley and Parker should have been chosen.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Who would you replace with Renfrow? 472 yards and 1 TD isn't really an award-worthy stat line.
The difference in Renfrow is simply that he wins. He extends drives. Possessions. And at 5-10 or so and maybe 180 pounds, he is the best WR blocker in the ACC. (In one game, I forget against whom but it was while Lawrence was hurt, they ran him in as QB as a possibility. He handed off on the option and when it reversed, led the downfield blocking. If we are picking teams based on stats and not on winning and leadership, then hide the names and pick the highest number at each position. Nah. Any team that leaves him off the first 11 is no "all" team.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don't think "none on defense" is that surprising, although I do believe ASA deserved consideration for sure. The D was plain and simple awful this year, other than the takeaway stat. As I sit here and think about it, we won as a team, and I really don't think anyone other than Pressley and Parker should have been chosen.

ASA is deserving if you ask me.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
ASA is deserving if you ask me.

And, that is what I said, basically. "ASA deserved consideration for sure". I think he might have been punished to some degree for our overall terrible D. But, I also have to say I have not watched all of the other guys he was up against. My guess is that it was very close. If he was not at least honorable mention, that is sad.

Besides our Punter and one OL man, our staff can neither find nor coach a guy up to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Honorable Mention teams?

Wow - what horrific recruiting and coaching across the board in year 11 of the CPJ Era.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On defense, outside of Anree St Amour, I can't really think of anyone else that stood out on our defense as a consistently good player that could be up for All ACC. There's a case ASA should have at least made honorable mention. Everyone else...well, just look how well our defense played all year.

On offense:

QB: No way TQM had a better season than the 3 QBs that made 1st-3rd team All ACC. If you'd like to argue otherwise, please step away from your computer and argue with the mirror.
RB: Again, see above. Our BBs split time and stats, so they both took away from each other. Our ABs are basically hybrid RBs/Slot WRs and none of them put up really strong numbers compared to standard RBs and WRs.
WR: Our best WR had 15 receptions and 3 TDs. Can't argue much about this position group.
OL: Our best OL, Braun, made 1st team. Others can argue whether anyone else on the line deserved to be All ACC, but I didn't see any consistency from anyone other than Braun.

Special Teams: Harvin made 2nd Team, and you're really splitting hairs about 1st and 2nd team. As another poster mentioned, Syracuse's punter is also really good. There's a case that Wesley Wells could have been HM or even 3rd team, but our early season struggles may have tainted his candidacy. I have no doubt Wells will be in the conversation next season as he's established his reputation this year.

IMO, outside of a few cases, it's really hard to argue that GT got shafted. There's just a BUNCH of really good players in the ACC.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
Besides our Punter and one OL man, our staff can neither find nor coach a guy up to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Honorable Mention teams?

Wow - what horrific recruiting and coaching across the board in year 11 of the CPJ Era.

I guess thats why we ended up dead last in the ACC this year.

Oh wait, you mean we were tied for fourth? How can that be?

I get it now. We are crappy recruiters and have crappy coaches, but most everyone else we are competing with is just worse than us. Makes sense now.

Removing Clemson from the conversation, who was better than us in the ACC this year? Syracuse? BC? Possibly but they're both unknowns.

Duke wasn't. They got boatraced by Wake.
Pitt wasn't. They got curb-stomped by Miami.
We beat every other ACC team we faced so they weren't.

I've never seen anyone make the claim that CPJ was a good recruiter and, for the most part, players don't generally improve playing for us. Those are failures of recruiting and coaching. Just because we had enough talent to finish 4th in a bad conference doesn't mean we were talented. These post-season honors (or near-complete lack thereof) back that up.

I hope it makes sense now.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Removing Clemson from the conversation, who was better than us in the ACC this year?
I've never seen anyone make the claim that CPJ was a good recruiter and, for the most part, players don't generally improve playing for us. Those are failures of recruiting and coaching. Just because we had enough talent to finish 4th in a bad conference doesn't mean we were talented.
So the coach is the reason we suck, but is not the reason we are potentially better than the rest of the ACC? If our talent is dreadful due to the coach, why did the team end up in fourth? At the end of the day, the ACC "sucks" because we are a competitive league where the teams are all about equal apart from Clemson and Louisville. We should be comparing ourselves with our contemporaries first. We certainly aren't strong division, but apart from Alabama and UGA, the SEC looks really weak this year too. The PAC South was atrocious, and the B1g West was legitimately bad.
I hope it makes sense now.
No, I really don't understand your logic.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So the coach is the reason we suck, but is not the reason we are potentially better than the rest of the ACC? If our talent is dreadful due to the coach, why did the team end up in fourth? At the end of the day, the ACC "sucks" because we are a competitive league where the teams are all about equal apart from Clemson and Louisville. We should be comparing ourselves with our contemporaries first. We certainly aren't strong division, but apart from Alabama and UGA, the SEC looks really weak this year too. The PAC South was atrocious, and the B1g West was legitimately bad.

No, I really don't understand your logic

I think he has been drinking his whiskey clear tonight and a lot of it.