AJC says depth chart is out...

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI- PJ confirmed in his press conference today that Mills will not be returning kicks and Stewart is returning Punts
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/mills-wont-return-kicks-for-georgia-tech/nsN65/
The decision to start Dedrick Mills at B-back in Georgia Tech’s season-opening game against Boston College on Saturday means he won’t return kicks, coach Paul Johnson said on Tuesday.

Mills was listed as the kick returner on the depth chart released Monday for the game against the Eagles. Qua Searcy was listed as the punt returner.

Johnson said that wide receiver Brad Stewart would likely return punts and that the kick returner hasn’t been decided. Stewart returned one punt last year for 7 yards.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I like having an ex-centerfielder with good hands returning punts. Screwing up back there can lose a game pretty fast. Will be interesting so see if he is as crafty as I think he will be on returns.
He was great in high school fielding punts. Not a tribute post, but he was very similar to Golden, let the ball hit the deck when needed, and made the right fair catches. He had enough wiggle to make guys miss in high school, not sure how it will translate, but it's definitely there.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope you are right about mitchell. I will go on record and say what roof is doing here makes no sense to me given they were even in offseason.

Look at this logically. Mitchell played over alford as a freshman last year. Now all of a sudden alford is so good he jumps him? Not to mention one is a senior the other has a ton of room to grow; and all offseason they were neck and neck. For me its a no brainer to start and play the younger guy more. You need to build a team. Anyway call me not a fan of this right now.

Predicted the corey griffin start. He will have a short leash though. Simmons and durham is a wash but the staff likes simmons range and height.

Still AMAZED no one can pass chungong and this is one reason why my hope for the DL is severely attenuated. We will still struggle in pash rush imo. Simply there are no two guys on the dl that make the other team worry about sliding protection. This is the issue....we dont have two heck we may not even have one dynamic rusher.

I like our starting OL alot. Pray they stay healthy.

I like our AB rotations. And Bb all of a sudden may become the best 1-2 combo ever at tech. Keep an eye on this.

But....a wr needs to emerge NOW.

Fully agree with this. Brant is just a better athlete. Athleticism will show up against quality opponents.
I am hoping MLD stands out in the long run. We are asking for a big change there from last year. He us really a stud athlete who needs to get on the field.
If we have a walk on in the A back rotation, that troubles me with all the speed we have available. We will talk about ball control etc..This offense is most devastating when you can take it to the house at any moment. We need backs on the field that can do that. In the current rotation of a backs only Green and Qua are capable of this.
We have a great bback rotation if Paul does not get impatient and let's Mills learn and Marshall continue to mature. They will both make mistakes this year.
I think the defensive backfield is strong but the line is just questionable. Glad to finally see Kagawa in the two deep. He is a player that is under the radar for most of the fan base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope you are right about mitchell. I will go on record and say what roof is doing here makes no sense to me given they were even in offseason.

Look at this logically. Mitchell played over alford as a freshman last year. Now all of a sudden alford is so good he jumps him? Not to mention one is a senior the other has a ton of room to grow; and all offseason they were neck and neck. For me its a no brainer to start and play the younger guy more. You need to build a team. Anyway call me not a fan of this right now.

Predicted the corey griffin start. He will have a short leash though. Simmons and durham is a wash but the staff likes simmons range and height.

Still AMAZED no one can pass chungong and this is one reason why my hope for the DL is severely attenuated. We will still struggle in pash rush imo. Simply there are no two guys on the dl that make the other team worry about sliding protection. This is the issue....we dont have two heck we may not even have one dynamic rusher.

I like our starting OL alot. Pray they stay healthy.

I like our AB rotations. And Bb all of a sudden may become the best 1-2 combo ever at tech. Keep an eye on this.

But....a wr needs to emerge NOW.
I guess you were at all the off season workouts and all the practices so you would know better than the coaches? Give it a rest man.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Fully agree with this. Brant is just a better athlete. Athleticism will show up against quality opponents.
I am hoping MLD stands out in the long run. We are asking for a big change there from last year. He us really a stud athlete who needs to get on the field.
If we have a walk on in the A back rotation, that troubles me with all the speed we have available. We will talk about ball control etc..This offense is most devastating when you can take it to the house at any moment. We need backs on the field that can do that. In the current rotation of a backs only Green and Qua are capable of this.
We have a great bback rotation if Paul does not get impatient and let's Mills learn and Marshall continue to mature. They will both make mistakes this year.
I think the defensive backfield is strong but the line is just questionable. Glad to finally see Kagawa in the two deep. He is a player that is under the radar for most of the fan base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wasn't RG25 a walk on AB? He ended up being pretty decent.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Depth charts are for the fans. When the real bullets start flying, our coaches know which players to put out there.

Much ado about nothing until we actually play someone without a GT jersey on.
Can't like this enough. You are spot on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I guess you were at all the off season workouts and all the practices so you would know better than the coaches? Give it a rest man.

Nothing wrong with having and expressing an opinion. That's what we're here for basically.

It does look odd to see Mitchell back up Alford considering he beat him out as a tFr. Smacks of a motivational ploy IMHO.

Do you dispute anything else 33 said? While he has a negative slant, not a lot of what he said is off. We do need a WR to step up. Our dline is desperate for someone able to force an OL to actually quiver in their boots a bit.

I'm hoping for the best though.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Speed is not nearly everything when it comes to separation. Don't know Smelter's true speed, but he is big has and freakish large hands, great hand-eye coordination, and was deadly coming back to the ball. If you can shield a guy off coming back to the ball or you consistently knock them on their *** in the blocking game, you'll get chances to pull a double move and get open deep.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing wrong with having and expressing an opinion. That's what we're here for basically.

It does look odd to see Mitchell back up Alford considering he beat him out as a tFr. Smacks of a motivational ploy IMHO.

Do you dispute anything else 33 said? While he has a negative slant, not a lot of what he said is off. We do need a WR to step up. Our dline is desperate for someone able to force an OL to actually quiver in their boots a bit.

I'm hoping for the best though.
Yes, let the coaches coach. He has something personal against Roof. Let's play a game or two and see what happens! I'm betting Roof has a much better idea about what's going on. That's my opinion.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Speed is not nearly everything when it comes to separation. Don't know Smelter's true speed, but he is big has and freakish large hands, great hand-eye coordination, and was deadly coming back to the ball. If you can shield a guy off coming back to the ball or you consistently knock them on their *** in the blocking game, you'll get chances to pull a double move and get open deep.
I think you're dead on here. A good majority of our passing game involves comeback routes and having the ability to shield off the DB is key regardless of how athletic you are. Between Camp and Stewart for the #2 guy I'll take the better blocker all day. The #2 WR gets very little action in our offense outside of the occasional smoke route.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That'd be great.

Although would love to see him out there regulary in the 4th quarter because we're blowing the opposition away.