AJC says depth chart is out...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hate agreeing with some, but depth chart accuracy has never been a priority it seems to me.
This is very similar to the post spring dc.

On LBs, remember that we've had a change in position coach. But, I still wouldn't read into it.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we're going to be really good on offense. Still concerned about WR, obviously, but really like QB, BB, AB and OL. Just don't think we have that guy at WR that can make great individual plays consistently when we need them in big spots (Thomas, Smelter, Waller). Hopefully I'm wrong but I think that's the only thing holding this offense back from being one of, if not, the best offense since PJ has been here.

Defense scares me. Like, really bad. To me, this looks like the worst defensive line we've had under PJ. Our DL and LB's are small and I have very little faith in our defensive line to create any pressure on the quarterback or stop the run. I think the LB's and DB's will be average to slightly above average but our defensive line might be so bad that it won't matter what our back seven does.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
If Brant proves to be the better player he will get more pt. Time will tell. But if both are truly equal...I don't get why you have a problem with Chase. The older guy should get the nod in that case. He has earned it with time and hard work in the program.

Fwiw Roof gave Chase particular praise for knowing his assignment and never making mistakes. Maybe Brant is more athletic, I suspect so but that's uninformed speculation. That can sometimes help overcome a mental mistake. Maybe that is the reason for your position. Play the more athletic guy and let him learn by doing in the hope his athleticism will allow him to recover from mistakes? The time for that was in the preseason....not during games. Once again I'll trust the coaches who work with these guys day in and day out to make these decisions.

Is this depth chart set in stone? No. Will it evolve? Almost certainly. If Brant takes over the starting spot was Roof wrong? No.

The older guy should never get the nod when both are equal. The reason being one guy has 3 years left to play with more upside and the senior has pretty much reached his ceiling. When you're building a program you think of the future too not just this year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think we're going to be really good on offense. Still concerned about WR, obviously, but really like QB, BB, AB and OL. Just don't think we have that guy at WR that can make great individual plays consistently when we need them in big spots (Thomas, Smelter, Waller). Hopefully I'm wrong but I think that's the only thing holding this offense back from being one of, if not, the best offense since PJ has been here.

Defense scares me. Like, really bad. To me, this looks like the worst defensive line we've had under PJ. Our DL and LB's are small and I have very little faith in our defensive line to create any pressure on the quarterback or stop the run. I think the LB's and DB's will be average to slightly above average but our defensive line might be so bad that it won't matter what our back seven does.

This is change in philosophy. Last season our guys were bulky and as many on here complained about appeared a couple steps slow. So I assume this is an effort to combat teams like Clemson, UNC, VT, & Duke. I'm under the impression that we can and will play 8-9 DLineman so we will attempt we teams out up front and win in 4th

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Our DL is about the size of many of the successful DLs from vpi. I actually think that they may turn out to be a strength (no data, just a hunch).

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Mills as KR????? Wow he must be a fabulous instinctive runner who holds onto the ball. Has CPJ ever had a Fr punt or kick returner?????

Searcy as PR with Stewart as backup. Nice depth and hopefully we'll force a lot of punts......

Punting is in trouble if Rodwell is still the starter. One shank and done? Hopefully Rodwell has become consistent after these 5 years; but CPJ's only comment about him in camp was he was still inconsistent. Shea Underwood must have had a bad camp as CPJ was saying that no one was hurt coming out of camp.

Butker FG (duh). Wilson at snapper was very solid last year.

Depth chart still not on Ramblin Wreck where I can find it ........
Didn't Marcus Marshall return some kicks last year later in the year?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The older guy should never get the nod when both are equal. The reason being one guy has 3 years left to play with more upside and the senior has pretty much reached his ceiling. When you're building a program you think of the future too not just this year.

Have to respectfully disagree. If you have ever coached you know you have to look your players in the eye. Older players have put in their time and effort over and over and have built a resume of known performance over a variety of situations. A younger player has not yet proved himself in as many varied situations. If the players are truly equal then the older player has earned the start IMO. Otherwise you are sending a signal to your players that you will chase the latest fad and all their time and effort is of little value. I do agree with playing the younger player (a lot) to build experience for the future, but the "start" carries a message of "earned".
For example a senior like Alford has participated in 4 Fall Camps and 3 Spring Games (and by the way he has played a lot in those scrimmages) and dozens of practices, building a resume of performance. He has also played 3 years on special teams as a starter. A younger player ("equal") is still building that resume and deserves his playing time but maybe not the status of the "start", especially for the first game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought Jeune was really coming on towards the latter half of the season. He's not a burner, but he's a very good WR. Bailed JeT on quite a few throws.

Stewart made a VERY good showing for a true freshmen. He said he focused on getting more physical and more explosive during the offseason. I think if he achieves that, he's going to be a MUCH better WR, especially in this offense.

Then you have Camp. From what I understand, physical freak who has very good speed. I'm excited about him. Need Christian Philpott to step up with his track speed.

WRs won't have to do it alone in the passing game. We've got quite a few ABs who are very good in the passing game.

CPJ mentioned we have more players this year that can "make a house call". Gonna be fun to see who those players are.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I swear to all that is good and holy that this is not an anti-Brad Stewart post, i trust the coaches to put the best team on the field. But, what exactly about him did you find to be very impressive or a very good showing last season? His blocking? All 7 catches?

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought Jeune was really coming on towards the latter half of the season. He's not a burner, but he's a very good WR. Bailed JeT on quite a few throws.

Stewart made a VERY good showing for a true freshmen. He said he focused on getting more physical and more explosive during the offseason. I think if he achieves that, he's going to be a MUCH better WR, especially in this offense.

Then you have Camp. From what I understand, physical freak who has very good speed. I'm excited about him. Need Christian Philpott to step up with his track speed.

WRs won't have to do it alone in the passing game. We've got quite a few ABs who are very good in the passing game.

CPJ mentioned we have more players this year that can "make a house call". Gonna be fun to see who those players are.
Whatever happened to Philpott? Is he still on the team, is he hurt? Thought he had the size and speed to be our next difference maker

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I swear to all that is good and holy that this is not an anti-Brad Stewart post, i trust the coaches to put the best team on the field. But, what exactly about him did you find to be very impressive or a very good showing last season? His blocking? All 7 catches?

He made mistakes, as almost all true freshmen will do, but he did his job. He was able to start over guys who were more highly recruited (Philpott, Howell) and guys who were older and more physically gifted (Messick, Jalen Johnson). At the end, Brad's emergence pretty much marginalized Michael Summers to an extent. Keep in mind, Brad was supposed to be "blue shirted" and the plan was to have him come in after the rest of the class signed.

Instead, he became a true freshmen starter and made one of the biggest catches of the season against FSU.

BTW...before making fun of Brad "only" having 7 catches, keep this in mind. A more senior Michael Summers had 11 catches. Stephen Hill as a true freshmen only had 6.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

he was a TRUE Freshman--can't expect much in my judgement--wait til next yr,he will be solid I think

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I've gotta say i'm really dissapointed with Howell and Phillpot so-far, i actually thought both had the talent and size to be starters or heavily in the mix by now

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whatever happened to Philpott? Is he still on the team, is he hurt? Thought he had the size and speed to be our next difference maker

Injured his T-Fr year to the point where playing him later in the season would be detriment to his eligibility clock. CPJ said that if he was healthy, he would have played a lot.

From reports, he was hurt during the spring and also pulled a hammy during fall camp. I would assume other guys have gotten more reps and performed and pushed him lower on the depth chart. Which is good if you think about it, but bad for Philpott.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
In regards to the "house call" comment...

Proven or semi-proven "big play makers" surrounding JeT:

MM
Qua
CL
Jeune

Strongly suspected of being "big play makers":

Mills
JJG
Cottrell
Camp

I'll have two cups of that kool-aid y'all are selling.