AJC says depth chart is out...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
At the risk of starting yet another thread from outer space about Brad Stewart …

I don't see where fonts think he's not athletically gifted. All here must remember the gif of him dunking a basketball from way above the rim after a two step run. You just can't do that unless you are a physical black swan.

I thought his performance last year was pretty good for a true frosh. He made some good catches, he blocked adequately, and he seems to know what he was doing about half the time. His one problem was getting separation, but that goes back to knowing what he was doing half the time. It's hard to get to where you should be as a WR without someone hanging all over you if you don't really know where you should be in the first place.

I'm sure he'll do well this year. We'll see how well directly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Injured his T-Fr year to the point where playing him later in the season would be detriment to his eligibility clock. CPJ said that if he was healthy, he would have played a lot.

From reports, he was hurt during the spring and also pulled a hammy during fall camp. I would assume other guys have gotten more reps and performed and pushed him lower on the depth chart. Which is good if you think about it, but bad for Philpott.
Correct. In a nutshell, the kid can't stay healthy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was just looking at our roster. Man this team is still really young.

Over half our 2 deep on offense is either freshmen or sophomore. Bad in that we're probably gonna take some more lumps this season, but good because this group of guys could be special in the next few seasons.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt BS's jumping ability but i too saw the lack of seperation last year and wonder if he has the speed needed to keep DB's honest

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Have to respectfully disagree. If you have ever coached you know you have to look your players in the eye. Older players have put in their time and effort over and over and have built a resume of known performance over a variety of situations. A younger player has not yet proved himself in as many varied situations. If the players are truly equal then the older player has earned the start IMO. Otherwise you are sending a signal to your players that you will chase the latest fad and all their time and effort is of little value. I do agree with playing the younger player (a lot) to build experience for the future, but the "start" carries a message of "earned".
For example a senior like Alford has participated in 4 Fall Camps and 3 Spring Games (and by the way he has played a lot in those scrimmages) and dozens of practices, building a resume of performance. He has also played 3 years on special teams as a starter. A younger player ("equal") is still building that resume and deserves his playing time but maybe not the status of the "start", especially for the first game.
I see where you are coming from in a way but I don't think Alford has shown a resume of know performance over a variety of situations, at least no more than Mitchell. With that being said I believe Mitchell will be the starter as stated by cpj just about a week ago. This depth chart is not accurate imo. It has already been said that Simmons has been with the ones over amour while freeman has been out and yet he's not even on the two deep. Dedrick has been named the starter for BB but on the depth chart he's on the second team. Really all of this us fans are talking about is speculation until the season starts.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Camp's size and physicality is probably why he shot up with depth chart. CPJ has consistently stated he will play. I see he's backing up Stewart, if he is what they say he is, he could take Stewart's spot.
Howell & Messick could push Juene if he falters.

If Kallon earned the starting spot then I think the DLine will be fine.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Injuries are a crap shoot. You can get in good shape and avoid unnecessary activity risks, but in the end you cannot predict or totally avoid injuries. I find it amazing, considering all the other injuries in 2015, that C Lynch played in two Fall Camps, two Spring practices and and games, 12 regular season games, and dozens of practices with no reported time missed due to injuries...and we know he took a lot of licks for a WR playing RB. Who can figure? And we have superior physical specimens that can't avoid injuries, most likely no fault of their own.

CPJ seems especially pleased that the team made it through Fall Camp and practice with only one serious injury. Hope this luck continues. Hope Philpott's injuries are behind him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
2018 look out. ACC Champs. Calling it now.

The exciting thing is CPJ and staff have been getting better SAs on the recruiting trail lately, so the guys coming behind our current guys are getting more and more talented in terms of recruiting credentials. This could be a REALLY good team year after year soon.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The exciting thing is CPJ and staff have been getting better SAs on the recruiting trail lately, so the guys coming behind our current guys are getting more and more talented in terms of recruiting credentials. This could be a REALLY good team year after year soon.
unless we do just ok this year and people yell for CPJ to be gone. (n)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I see where you are coming from in a way but I don't think Alford has shown a resume of know performance over a variety of situations, at least no more than Mitchell. With that being said I believe Mitchell will be the starter as stated by cpj just about a week ago. This depth chart is not accurate imo. It has already been said that Simmons has been with the ones over amour while freeman has been out and yet he's not even on the two deep. Dedrick has been named the starter for BB but on the depth chart he's on the second team. Really all of this us fans are talking about is speculation until the season starts.

I agree it is all speculation on our part about specific players. Coach's have to make the eventual calls (they have to look the players in the eye) and I believe they will occasionally throw a starting bone to an older player who has earned respect for many hours of hard work, as long as the performance is there. I believe that is driving CPJs position on an occasional scholarship award to an older walk-on.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He made mistakes, as almost all true freshmen will do, but he did his job. He was able to start over guys who were more highly recruited (Philpott, Howell) and guys who were older and more physically gifted (Messick, Jalen Johnson). At the end, Brad's emergence pretty much marginalized Michael Summers to an extent. Keep in mind, Brad was supposed to be "blue shirted" and the plan was to have him come in after the rest of the class signed.

Instead, he became a true freshmen starter and made one of the biggest catches of the season against FSU.

BTW...before making fun of Brad "only" having 7 catches, keep this in mind. A more senior Michael Summers had 11 catches. Stephen Hill as a true freshmen only had 6.
Philpott was injured or else he might have been in the starting spot, that's just my opinion though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
At the risk of starting yet another thread from outer space about Brad Stewart …

I don't see where fonts think he's not athletically gifted. All here must remember the gif of him dunking a basketball from way above the rim after a two step run. You just can't do that unless you are a physical black swan.

I thought his performance last year was pretty good for a true frosh. He made some good catches, he blocked adequately, and he seems to know what he was doing about half the time. His one problem was getting separation, but that goes back to knowing what he was doing half the time. It's hard to get to where you should be as a WR without someone hanging all over you if you don't really know where you should be in the first place.

I'm sure he'll do well this year. We'll see how well directly.
I think the reason people look at Stewart and aren't like oh my goodness is because he's not way above average on any one thing, but what he does do is stay good across the board at almost everything, there isn't one thing you can look at and say oh he's bad at that, so imo he's just really fundamentally sound, but not overly good at one thing which is what people want.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
In a nutshell, he would be pretty well protected actually. Might be hard to get him the ball though.

In a nutshell, he would be pretty well protected actually.

RTFhHH

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Have to respectfully disagree. If you have ever coached you know you have to look your players in the eye. Older players have put in their time and effort over and over and have built a resume of known performance over a variety of situations. A younger player has not yet proved himself in as many varied situations. If the players are truly equal then the older player has earned the start IMO. Otherwise you are sending a signal to your players that you will chase the latest fad and all their time and effort is of little value. I do agree with playing the younger player (a lot) to build experience for the future, but the "start" carries a message of "earned".
For example a senior like Alford has participated in 4 Fall Camps and 3 Spring Games (and by the way he has played a lot in those scrimmages) and dozens of practices, building a resume of performance. He has also played 3 years on special teams as a starter. A younger player ("equal") is still building that resume and deserves his playing time but maybe not the status of the "start", especially for the first game.

If you've ever played you dont view it like this at all. The team knows who the better player is. It's no disrespect to either person.