AJC: MBS series financial details

crut

Helluva Engineer
The only downside really is the potential for the fan base to look bad on national television if the game is taken over by larger fan bases who travel for a big game in a fancy new stadium. I'm all for this idea and the extra money is brings in, under the assumption that:

1. Collins and Co. continue to work on biGTime branding in the ATL, especially garnering new, local, sidewalk fans who will come to future games
2. They take measures to keep control of as many tickets as possible

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We used to do the same in basketball in the 80's. We played UNC in the Omni every year rather than the tit bacause of the money. I hated it because my seats in the Omni weren't as good as the season ticket seats I had. If it's raining that day, we will all be glad to be indoors.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
My concern is the price point for the games as laid out in the article. Honestly, I think they are being fairly aggressive in pricing and in attendance(based on price), especially for the 2021 and 2023 games.

Will be interesting to see how these games are (or aren't) included in season tickets, and how that will affect sales.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I know one of the first rules of the internet is to not feed the trolls, but I'm not sure exactly what you are objecting to in this thread. Is it merely @ATL1 use of the phrase "playing Big Boy football"? Do you not think that Georgia Tech already plays "big boy football"? We play in a Power 5 conference and we are not in the cellar of that conference.

If you think that Georgia Tech does not already play "big boy football", what is your definition of "big boy football"? Is it defined by wins and losses, attendance, revenue, conference affiliation? If we are not there yet in your opinion, wouldn't doing something different than what we have been doing be a step in the right direction? You would have to agree that playing in MBS would be different than what we are currently doing.

Please clearly express your opinion rather than calling out other posters on this message board as delusional. It reflects poorly upon your character, unless you are, indeed, just a troll.

That’s all I really objected to. We need the money and this is a smart move to make money. It will help long term despite sacrificing some home-field advantage short term. Although it seems like we will have the large majority of the seats for the two non-Clemson ACC games.

But bragging about this plan as “big boy football” is not what we should be doing. Other fanbases are gonna laugh at us for this move. Its the exact opposite of “big boy football.”

The same people that criticize GT for trying to make money to keep the football program afloat are the same people that a) don't write big checks to help out and b) don't even come to the spring game or buy season tickets. Don't feed the trolls.

I’ve lived 600 miles away since i graduated and have had 2 season tickets every year. Not sure why you’re trying to make a casual discussion into a **** measuring contest.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
That’s all I really objected to. We need the money and this is a smart move to make money. It will help long term despite sacrificing some home-field advantage short term. Although it seems like we will have the large majority of the seats for the two non-Clemson ACC games.

But bragging about this plan as “big boy football” is not what we should be doing. Other fanbases are gonna laugh at us for this move. Its the exact opposite of “big boy football.”

I’ve lived 600 miles away since i graduated and have had 2 season tickets every year. Not sure why you’re trying to make a casual discussion into a **** measuring contest.

Other fanbases laughed at us for running the option even when we were steamrolling people with it. Other fanbases laugh at us for playing in a Bobby Dodd covered in red or orange. They will laugh at us until we start beating their teams on a regular basis. May as well cash some checks and enjoy ourselves while they laugh. If TStan's plan works, the laughing will end in a few years.

Also, I think ya'll are misinterpreting ATL's comment a bit. I took it as TStan is going to do whatever it takes to raise money so we can play big boy football, not that this move in and of itself is an example of big boy football.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Look we talk about the 404Takeover, this is a part of it.
We talk about the partnership with Atl United and getting cross over fans, this is part of it.
We talk about the tie in to Atlanta being the epicenter of College Football, this is part of it.

It will be a little short time pain (giving up the home game) for hopefully a long term reward. It is a gamble, but a smart one. Not like calling a fake punt, late in the fourth quarter, with Saban and crew breathing down Justin Fields' neck and their Defense still on the field.. Because that wouldn't be Tech Smart, it would be UGa(ly) Smart.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Has it occurred to anyone that it’s possible that once this thing gets going over the next several years, there will not be as many “home games at BDS@HGF” held in the future forever from now on?

crut

Helluva Engineer
Has it occurred to anyone that it’s possible that once this thing gets going over the next several years, there will not be as many “home games at BDS@HGF” held in the future forever from now on?
Don't see that happening. Most I could see is this contract extending so that GT plays one game in Mercedes Benz every year.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My concern is the price point for the games as laid out in the article. Honestly, I think they are being fairly aggressive in pricing and in attendance(based on price), especially for the 2021 and 2023 games.

Will be interesting to see how these games are (or aren't) included in season tickets, and how that will affect sales.

These games will definitely be part of season ticket packages.

1. It ensures ticket to the game are sold
2. Sold to GT fans
3. Makes it up to fans since it is a home game
4. They roll the cost of the game into an overall single price to hide how expensive the game is (like they did with Tenn)