AJC: MBS series financial details

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The only negative I see is turning a home game into a massive away game with home-field advantage for the opposition in your own backyard. The 404 take over better work so that we can pack that stadium with Home fans.

I think it’s possible that we can achieve that as we will use the game to help push the 404 take over. The first few years are going to be ugly though.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'm really excited for these games! I've never been in MBS, but I know plenty of people who have for Atlanta United or Falcons games that say it's amazing. It'll be a cool experience and it shakes things up a bit in terms of atmosphere each year. Also aligns us a lot more with the city of Atlanta and is a draw for recruits who want national exposure and unique game day experiences. The fact that it basically guarantees prime time coverage and brings in $10 million (conservatively!) in additional revenue is just icing on the cake. Imagine this: we start out the season 9-1 or 8-2 in 2020 (or 2024?) and a 10-0 Notre Dame comes to town to play in MBS. Sounds like an enticing location for College Game Day to me.

Animal02

Banned
Think of it as an investment for the future. I'm not excited about only sacrificing home games, but there are certainly benefits to playing at the stadium in terms of cash & exposure that I am excited about.
There was an opportunity to make this a really good deal.....drop the FCS game and play a "name" team there. Instead, they dropped the home field advantage for 3 ACC games, and turned the two ND games into neutral site games......while practically admitting they will not even meet BDS capacity for two of the games. Yes, it may make some money if their predictions hold true, but that is NOT guaranteed. The optics of playing in a half empty rented stadium will be really bad. Yet the koolaid drinkers here insist on calling this lipsticked pig a silk purse.

Animal02

Banned
The only negative I see is turning a home game into a massive away game with home-field advantage for the opposition in your own backyard. The 404 take over better work so that we can pack that stadium with Home fans.

I think it’s possible that we can achieve that as we will use the game to help push the 404 take over. The first few years are going to be ugly though.
They did not even rent the upper bowl for two of the games........so they are looking at 45k capacity (yes I know they have the option to expand it.........but obviously TSAN doesn't think they can fill it)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There was an opportunity to make this a really good deal.....drop the FCS game and play a "name" team there. Instead, they dropped the home field advantage for 3 ACC games, and turned the two ND games into neutral site games......while practically admitting they will not even meet BDS capacity for two of the games. Yes, it may make some money if their predictions hold true, but that is NOT guaranteed. The optics of playing in a half empty rented stadium will be really bad. Yet the koolaid drinkers here insist on calling this lipsticked pig a silk purse.
Well we know at least some of the games will be packed out. Clemson and ND have tons of fans. On a personal note, it lets me watch my two favorite teams go at it, I will definitely be driving to Atlanta for the ND game. I will definitely be pulling for my jackets.

Animal02

Banned
I'm really excited for these games! I've never been in MBS, but I know plenty of people who have for Atlanta United or Falcons games that say it's amazing. It'll be a cool experience and it shakes things up a bit in terms of atmosphere each year. Also aligns us a lot more with the city of Atlanta and is a draw for recruits who want national exposure and unique game day experiences. The fact that it basically guarantees prime time coverage and brings in $10 million (conservatively!) in additional revenue is just icing on the cake. Imagine this: we start out the season 9-1 or 8-2 in 2020 (or 2024?) and a 10-0 Notre Dame comes to town to play in MBS. Sounds like an enticing location for College Game Day to me.
Kool-Aid-Pitcher.jpg

Animal02

Banned
Well we know at least some of the games will be packed out. Clemson and ND have tons of fans. On a personal note, it lets me watch my two favorite teams go at it, I will definitely be driving to Atlanta for the ND game. I will definitely be pulling for my jackets.
ND games would have been packed at BDS, and the home field could have given an decent edge. Now it will most likely be a ND crowd. Is taking every advantage to WIN the goal or just making money?
As I said, drop the FCS game, bring in a Big Ten team and I have no problem.....keeping the FCS game and giving up a home game for $$$$ is not "big boy football" It is closer to lower level FCS boy football

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As an aside, I’ll share a personal story with you guys. I drove up to South Bend with my ND grad brother to watch
a ND game a few years back. It was snowing it was icy it was very cold. But it was very fun.

I remember having a snowball fight at our tailgate and not needing a cooler because we just dug a hole in the snow and put our beers in it. I remember skating to our seats because the ground was so icy, we were afraid to actually take steps. I remember the student section having a massive snowball fight during the game.

That was the only time I actually cheered for Notre Dame in a live game. The other two times I’ve been to South Bend were Georgia Tech games. One of those times, our new running backs coach ran all over them and we won. The other time not so much.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I know one of the first rules of the internet is to not feed the trolls, but I'm not sure exactly what you are objecting to in this thread. Is it merely @ATL1 use of the phrase "playing Big Boy football"? Do you not think that Georgia Tech already plays "big boy football"? We play in a Power 5 conference and we are not in the cellar of that conference.

If you think that Georgia Tech does not already play "big boy football", what is your definition of "big boy football"? Is it defined by wins and losses, attendance, revenue, conference affiliation? If we are not there yet in your opinion, wouldn't doing something different than what we have been doing be a step in the right direction? You would have to agree that playing in MBS would be different than what we are currently doing.

Please clearly express your opinion rather than calling out other posters on this message board as delusional. It reflects poorly upon your character, unless you are, indeed, just a troll.
Still disappointed with change, it seems.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
ND games would have been packed at BDS, and the home field could have given an decent edge. Now it will most likely be a ND crowd. Is taking every advantage to WIN the goal or just making money?
As I said, drop the FCS game, bring in a Big Ten team and I have no problem.....keeping the FCS game and giving up a home game for $$$$ is not "big boy football" It is closer to lower level FCS boy football
Why would we drop an FCS game when the committee has shown time and time again that who you schedule doesn't really matter as long as you are in a P5 conference?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, if my memory is intact, I believe none of our Georgia Tech football teams have ever won a football game in Atlanta outside of BDS@HGF.

This history includes all of the Peach Bowl games that Tech played in at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium and the Georgia Dome, and also that last game in Mercedes Benz Stadium in which our team lost to Tennessee.

So, I’m not sure what the advantage would be, other than making more money.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I would have been excited about this if it was under CPJ too, this isn't a Collins Kool-Aid thing. This is just objectively good for GT for multiple reasons. The only real downside is sentimentalism over Bobby Dodd and a romantic idea of what college football should be, which I understand with the older fans who spent the last few decades going to games at BDS. Though college football to me is the teams on the field, not the setting.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
The same people that criticize GT for trying to make money to keep the football program afloat are the same people that a) don't write big checks to help out and b) don't even come to the spring game or buy season tickets. Don't feed the trolls.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well it’s up to the magic man to create the demand.

I chuckled at this one. My first thought was that “the magic man” you refer to in your above post is obviously our new football coach, Geoff Collins.

And I certainly hope he comes through with a lot of magic on the football field! So far he has been magic through his advertising and marketing and social media program.

I hope it all works.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Its hard to see why anyone would ***** about this. Its a great way to raise much needed funds. I read this article last night and I was happy that we are trying to raise the program.