AJC cruitin article

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
So, you are saying that they would need to go to class, see the TAs for help, and actually study? Nope, not going to happen with 5 stars that have visions of NFL stardom dancing in their rock hard noggins.
That’s why I said 90%. I also said “whether they want to come here is another story.”

If they come and show up to class, they will pass with any sort of effort.

You think Gibbs cared much about school? He could’ve picked almost any school he wanted to by the end of his cycle and chose GT.

We can recruit almost anyone and get them through school.

We have to make it attractive enough for them to want to come.

The “difficulty” of the school isn’t the barrier it once was. Sucking at football for over half a decade is the barrier we have to overcome now.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
So, 90% of Bama and UGA players make 1000+ on SATs and sit in class with kids who scored 1450 on avg ?
I don’t know what they made. Does t matter what the kids in their class made though. Do t know why you brought that up.

I’ll say this, I made a 1080 and barely had a 3.0 in HS.

That was not only good enough to get me in the school (early 2000’s) on the baseball team, apparently my math score was so much better than the rest of the incoming freshman that I was out in the “difficult” math class (Survey of Calc) while the rest of the freshman were put in Finite math.

I’d imagine the standards have laxed a bit since then and would imagine even more so for a 4 or 5 start football player vs a non revenue guy like me.

To finish my point about the school not being as hard as some of y’all think it is, I finished GT with a much higher GPA than I did HS.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My wife has a Ph.D. in Public Policy from Georgia Tech. That's a Liberal Arts degree. She doesn't have to explain it to anyone. International Affairs is also a liberal arts degree no one has to explain. These are both in legitimate colleges and well respected nationally.
Yes, you're right. However, I invite you to compare Tech's offerings - usually minors - with these:

MIT is a lot like Tech; prestige STEM school in a big city, lots of other colleges around, ect.. Their offerings are much wider then Tech's are. I know it would be a lift for the BoR to buy into major expansions at Tech when the school is fighting off applicants with a machete and GSU is right there. Still, it would be worthwhile to try, especially since so many of the programs already in place could be so easily expanded. And, like I said, it would make it easier for Georgia students to see a place for them at Tech. As well as opening more research opportunities for Tech students.

LawyersGuns&Money

Georgia Tech Fan
I edited. I meant 4.2, since that is what you wrote. The message you responded to was me saying my roommate graduated from Tech with 4.0, yet was not able to get financial aid. So again, how does one get a 4.2 at Tech.

Look if the dude made it out with a 4.0, he’s probably going to make enough money in the private sector that he’ll be ok having to have paid his way through. That’s a market analysis by Tech. That guy is probably more common for them to find so they don’t need to pay for it.

Student athletes are going to be all over the place. Some really are going to be those kinds of academic profiles. Some may not be the best students but you can’t assume they don’t bust their tail trying because they have layers of accountability that ensure they are working hard.

Those kids may get a free education, but they’re probably not going to get the career track your friend did with a 4.0. But you know what? They’ll still get good jobs, maybe as coaches or teachers or entrepreneurs and they’ll be ambassadors for Tech in ways your friend may not be able to. And that’s why Tech invested in them. In some ways we get more ROI from that investment than a lot of others when you think about it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Look if the dude made it out with a 4.0, he’s probably going to make enough money in the private sector that he’ll be ok having to have paid his way through. That’s a market analysis by Tech. That guy is probably more common for them to find so they don’t need to pay for it.

Student athletes are going to be all over the place. Some really are going to be those kinds of academic profiles. Some may not be the best students but you can’t assume they don’t bust their tail trying because they have layers of accountability that ensure they are working hard.

Those kids may get a free education, but they’re probably not going to get the career track your friend did with a 4.0. But you know what? They’ll still get good jobs, maybe as coaches or teachers or entrepreneurs and they’ll be ambassadors for Tech in ways your friend may not be able to. And that’s why Tech invested in them. In some ways we get more ROI from that investment than a lot of others when you think about it.
The whole thing I was responding to was “if someone has 100k in debt, they should have tried harder in class so that they’d have gotten scholarships.”

I was just pointing out that that is a terrible take and that scholarships are not just freely available to those who perform well in the classroom. I have no problem with student athletes getting scholarships.

LawyersGuns&Money

Georgia Tech Fan
The whole thing I was responding to was “if someone has 100k in debt, they should have tried harder in class so that they’d have gotten scholarships.”

I was just pointing out that that is a terrible take and that scholarships are not just freely available to those who perform well in the classroom. I have no problem with student athletes getting scholarships.

That’s fair

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know what they made. Does t matter what the kids in their class made though. Do t know why you brought that up.

I’ll say this, I made a 1080 and barely had a 3.0 in HS.

That was not only good enough to get me in the school (early 2000’s) on the baseball team, apparently my math score was so much better than the rest of the incoming freshman that I was out in the “difficult” math class (Survey of Calc) while the rest of the freshman were put in Finite math.

I’d imagine the standards have laxed a bit since then and would imagine even more so for a 4 or 5 start football player vs a non revenue guy like me.

To finish my point about the school not being as hard as some of y’all think it is, I finished GT with a much higher GPA than I did HS.
To some degree the players compete with their class members. It's kinda like our Fr/So scout team players competing at the New England Patriots camp. The extensive academic support provided to football players....ain't for no reason, huh ? And this from someone who thinks we should have more exceptions.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Still waiting on someone to let me know what what’s the difference for Techs admission standards vs rest of the NCAA and i’m not trying to be an *** i really would like to know
I believe historically that GT was only allowed a certain number of exceptions (say 5 per year) while others like UGa were allowed 75% exceptions.

Certainly, the only published study I have ever seen of football SAT scores showed GT to be one of the highest amongst those schools who reported the data while UGa and most SEC schools were 150 points (or so) lower.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
In the early years of Johnson and during Gaileys regime, it was tough getting guys through the Hill. I think that loosened up under Collins.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t know Georgia Tech’s current “academic requirements” for prospective football recruits. I haven’t read them on any kind of paper, officially or unofficially.

Can anyone provide it?

herb

Helluva Engineer
I believe historically that GT was only allowed a certain number of exceptions (say 5 per year) while others like UGa were allowed 75% exceptions.

Certainly, the only published study I have ever seen of football SAT scores showed GT to be one of the highest amongst those schools who reported the data while UGa and most SEC schools were 150 points (or so) lower.

Just look at the article @Ibeeballin shared. Dwags got 63 special admits, we got 31. I would wager that our low number was not because we didn’t want more,

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t know Georgia Tech’s current “academic requirements” for prospective football recruits. I haven’t read them on any kind of paper, officially or unofficially.

Can anyone provide it?
No. It's not something written down, iiuc. Nor is any school's. In fact, most colleges these days don't publish ANY academic requirements in terms of test scores or high school GPA's. They publish academic pre-requisites in courses taken, but that is about it. ALL admission decision these days ar eon a 'case by case' basis...whether athletic or academic.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Not exactly how you build a relationship with schools and coaches. There’s maybe 20 hs that have a high d1 prospect every year. Probably 15 in metro Atlanta. It doesn’t take much to visit the ones that don’t once or twice a year. They will eventually have some d1 prospects too.
This article could be written about most D1 schools. Collins had his issues but recruiting was way down the list of his problems. He hired Watson which was a huge plus and was touted early for going out and recruiting metro schools that were neglected in the past.
It just seems to be real lazy work by the AJC. They praised his work 4 years ago and talked badly of PJ for the same thing.
They will certainly regurgitate this article again when Key is replaced in 5-10-15 years. You can count on it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of what past newspaper articles claim or what's in written guidelines by any college, just ask yourself this: Let's say a 5* DT in Moultrie has a supposed (per the high school), 2.4 GPA and scores 820 on his SAT, plus his teachers admit under extreme threats of persecution, he really doesn't have a good work ethic in the classroom. What are UGA's vs GT's odds that he will be very heavily recruited and signed....guidelines be damned ? Seems the answer to this is what defines the issue of academic integrity. Maybe there's a reason Vanderbilt more often than not, gets it's brains beat out on the field in the sec.
This from someone who believes Tech should sign more vs less academically borderline players, whose teachers confirm he has a good work ethic in the classroom. No, I'm not describing the DT from Moultrie, although we have been historically starved for DTs. I also don't believe we should sign kids that we know ahead of time, read at a 3rd grade level.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA has a minimum GPA and SAT/ACT score to pass through the NCAA Clearinghouse. Georgia Tech's requirements are higher than these minimum standards. Both the NCAA requirements and GT student-athletes' requirements are significantly lower than the minimum (there really aren't minimum requirements, but there are scores and grades necessary to get in) requirements for a standard Tech undergraduate.

While many schools mimic the NCAA requirements as their minimum requirements, GT does not and has higher requirements. The coach can go to the President's Office and and ask for an exception to the GT requirements for an individual that is above the NCAA requirement but below the GT requirement. Typically, we don't have many of those exceptions. Essentially 100% of the scholarship football and men's basketball players are standard student exceptions but not GT Student-Athlete exceptions. GT PWO athletes also fall into the lower category to get accepted even though they're not on scholarship. PWO is a great way to get into GT if you are borderline for GT academics but can play ball and want to go to GT.

I thought you were connected enough with the student-athletes at GT to know this stuff. Maybe you're just trolling me.
No it’s not something i’ve ever brought up but to be honest I know a few guys that played for us that were in the 2s GPA wise.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, you're right. However, I invite you to compare Tech's offerings - usually minors - with these:

MIT is a lot like Tech; prestige STEM school in a big city, lots of other colleges around, ect.. Their offerings are much wider then Tech's are. I know it would be a lift for the BoR to buy into major expansions at Tech when the school is fighting off applicants with a machete and GSU is right there. Still, it would be worthwhile to try, especially since so many of the programs already in place could be so easily expanded. And, like I said, it would make it easier for Georgia students to see a place for them at Tech. As well as opening more research opportunities for Tech students.
MIT is private and GT is public. MIT's school formed in 1932, Georgia Tech's formed in 1990. We're fighting an uphill battle against the BoR. I'd love for us to have all the Professional graduate schools, but it would take control of the Governor's Office and the BoR to make that happen. Plus, we'd need a GT-friendly State House and Senate. Good luck with that ever happening.

Med School and Law School graduate programs, and undergraduate programs in Nursing and Education. That changes the entire landscape of GT. Never going to happen.