AJC cruitin article

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
MIT is private and GT is public. MIT's school formed in 1932, Georgia Tech's formed in 1990. We're fighting an uphill battle against the BoR. I'd love for us to have all the Professional graduate schools, but it would take control of the Governor's Office and the BoR to make that happen. Plus, we'd need a GT-friendly State House and Senate. Good luck with that ever happening.

Med School and Law School graduate programs, and undergraduate programs in Nursing and Education. That changes the entire landscape of GT. Never going to happen.
Yeah, it'd be a lift. But maybe not so much as people think. If the social science and humanities curricula had a tech focus you might could sell it as an alternative to what GSU and Ugag offer. How could this be, you might ask. Humanities courses could concentrate on empirical text analysis. The philosophers could be Carnegie-Mellon/Santa Fe types who concentrate on mathematical applications to practical problems. So could the historians. The other social sciences could buckle down on the vast databases now being used in those disciplines.

Would this sell? Tech will never know until they try.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it'd be a lift. But maybe not so much as people think. If the social science and humanities curricula had a tech focus you might could sell it as an alternative to what GSU and Ugag offer. How could this be, you might ask. Humanities courses could concentrate on empirical text analysis. The philosophers could be Carnegie-Mellon/Santa Fe types who concentrate on mathematical applications to practical problems. So could the historians. The other social sciences could buckle down on the vast databases now being used in those disciplines.

Now I am confused. Tech has done exactly that.

• B.S. in Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies
    This program delivers foreign language study in the contexts of social and technical communication, cultural perspectives, industry, technology, arts and literature.
  • B.S. in Computational Media
    The B.S. in Computational Media combines computer science with digital media design, helping students to understand and manipulate both technology and media.
  • B.S. in Economics
    The B.S. degree in Economics is the science of decision making and provides the ability to analyze complex economic problems and to understand societal problems.
  • B.S. in Economics and International Affairs
    The program in Economics and International Affairs focuses on the most pressing issues facing our global interdependent, and multicultural environment.
  • B.S. in Global Economics and Modern Languages
    The global Economics and Modern Languages program equips students for the global workplace by developing strong skills in economic analysis and decision making, foreign languages, and multidimensional global perspective.
  • B.S. in History, Technology, and Society
    This program combines work in sociology and history and equips students to analyze societies, pursue social change, and succeed in a variety of careers.
  • B.S. in International Affairs
    This program allows you to focus your degree on the factors that are shaping our world during a time of dramatic political, economic, social, and technological change.
  • B.S. in International Affairs and Modern Languages
    A B.S. in International Affairs and Modern Languages prepares you for employment in internationally oriented firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
  • B.S. in Literature, Media, and Communication
    This program provides the analytical and technical skills required for a career in humanistic fields such as Media, Public Relations, and Literature.
  • B.S. in Public Policy
    This program combines political, social, economic and ethical approaches with practical problem solving in a technology-infused environment.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

BOR is never going to let this fly.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

This program delivers foreign language study in the contexts of social and technical communication, cultural perspectives, industry, technology, arts and literature.
    The B.S. in Computational Media combines computer science with digital media design, helping students to understand and manipulate both technology and media.
  • B.S. in Economics
    The B.S. degree in Economics is the science of decision making and provides the ability to analyze complex economic problems and to understand societal problems.
    The program in Economics and International Affairs focuses on the most pressing issues facing our global interdependent, and multicultural environment.
    The global Economics and Modern Languages program equips students for the global workplace by developing strong skills in economic analysis and decision making, foreign languages, and multidimensional global perspective.
    This program combines work in sociology and history and equips students to analyze societies, pursue social change, and succeed in a variety of careers.
    This program allows you to focus your degree on the factors that are shaping our world during a time of dramatic political, economic, social, and technological change.
    A B.S. in International Affairs and Modern Languages prepares you for employment in internationally oriented firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
    This program provides the analytical and technical skills required for a career in humanistic fields such as Media, Public Relations, and Literature.
  • B.S. in Public Policy
    This program combines political, social, economic and ethical approaches with practical problem solving in a technology-infused environment.
That's a lot of BS programs!

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Your numbers are way overly optimistic based on my experiences as a HS teacher. Forget 4 or 5 star FB players...if you look at the general student body, I am looking at 3-4% who would even have a chance at getting in. In my 12 years, I have met two FB players who might have been GT material as students but weren't really P5 material. The intersection of these two sets that you discuss (4/5 star FB player and GT caliber student) is exceedingly small. Out of the 40-50 guys you discuss, I am wiiling to bet that 5 are capable. Unless I am grossly underestimating how much academic "support" these guys get.
You grossly underestimate the support. The kids we take to the FB program are totally different than the general pop at Tech. We find ways to get them in and keep them eligible, like any other school.

We’ve offered pretty much every 4/5 star player in Ga for a few years. If any of them wanted to commit, we’d find a way to get them in.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I know the HS in my former area didn't produce anything when I was around. I think it got better, and then worse...Meadowcreek.

Edit: I think they're probably decent in soccer now...yikes!
Meadowcreek alum here. I played freshman ball and one year of varsity. We were horrible.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The issue for GT has NEVER been about support once the athletes are in school.

It has been about getting the Admissions Office to accept exceptions. Period. GT gets very few. Other schools get lots.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

• B.S. in Economics
  • B.S. in Public Policy
But without the necessary departmental structure. Most of these degrees are the result of combining minor studies within existing departments in several disciplines. We used to do that at my college to create the illusion that we had a broader curriculum then we did. And that's what it is unless there is a department of experts in a particular field that can curate the field structure for multi-disciplinary degrees like this and shepherd their own major programs. The econ, pub policy, and iA offerings have this and are a good step in the right direction. But let's take the School of History and Sociology at Tech as an example. It's main offer is a multidisciplinary degree in History, Technology, and Society. Everything that is a component of that degree is offered as a minor, not a major. So, unlike every other STEM university of its ilk (I checked Rice, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, and Cal Tech), Tech doesn't actually have a history major or a history department. Soooo … if I'm a Georgia high school kid with an interest in history I go to GSU, Ugag, Emory, or any of several other choices. I don't immediately think of Tech unless I really want to go there.

Could this be remedied? Sure. Tech has several history (sociology too) profs already. Hive them off, add to them, and the kid from high school who's interested in history has a place to go. Then use these departments to build a degree in history, technology and society as an addition. It could be that this isn't what the faculty at the SHS wants, but I know a couple of them and they complain about being unable to actually offer majors in their subjects. And it wouldn't be too heavy a lift to do this, imho.

Well, enough. This is my last word on the subject.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
So, 90% of Bama and UGA players make 1000+ on SATs and sit in class with kids who scored 1450 on avg ?
There are plenty of 1450 SAT's at UGA these days, whether you believe it or not. Here is the middle 50% for early action admits for 2022.

Mid 50% Admitted Average SAT (EBRW+M): 1350-1500

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
There are plenty of 1450 SAT's at UGA these days, whether you believe it or not. Here is the middle 50% for early action admits for 2022.

Mid 50% Admitted Average SAT (EBRW+M): 1350-1500
Do they take Home Ec and General Studies ? The avg incoming Fr SATs are still around 1450 for Tech and 1240 for UGA. I believe UGA has increased their SATs a lot due to Hope, but they are still a Regional university offering BA programs while Tech is an National/International one offering BS programs. Their gap between football players and regular students is less than ours in spite of our football players making about 50 -100 points higher than theirs.

Last edited:

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
Do they take Home Ec and General Studies ? The avg incoming Fr SATs are still around 1450 for Tech and 1240 for UGA. I believe UGA has increased their SATs a lot due to Hope, but they are still a Regional university offering BA programs while Tech is an National/International one offering BS programs. Their gap between football players and regular students is less than ours in spite of our football players making about 50 -100 points higher than theirs.
Source for the 1240 and 1450 averages? I don't see how you get to 1240 if the middle 50% ranges from 1350 to 1500.