AJC cruitin article

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Not going to link it bc it’s a pc paywall.

We went to Stephenson once in 3 years? Wtf they’ve produced more nfl talent than any other GA hs.

Also a bad look that Westminster hbc was critical. That’s the top school in the state. Buttkicker went there. They aren’t exactly a football power but do produce d1 players from time to time.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That is a pretty poor review of recruiting under Collins if what these coaches are saying is true.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d be really curious to see if you took all of the 2023 recruits in the state Georgia, only the 4 star and 5 star guys, which is like 40 guys depending on what service you look at - how many of them have the academic chops to make passing grades at GT? Half? Less than half?

And I’m not saying they gotta make all A’s, but if they take advantage of tutoring and hustle, they can remain academically eligible while playing football.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

We went to Stephenson once in 3 years? Wtf they’ve produced more nfl talent than any other GA hs.

Also a bad look that Westminster hbc was critical. That’s the top school in the state. Buttkicker went there. They aren’t exactly a football power but do produce d1 players from time to time.
LFD’s mother was BBF with Buttkicker’s grandma. Mom was a great friend of GT and took partial credit for cruitin’ Harrison to GT.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’d be really curious to see if you took all of the 2023 recruits in the state Georgia, only the 4 star and 5 star guys, which is like 40 guys depending on what service you look at - how many of them have the academic chops to make passing grades at GT? Half? Less than half?

Your numbers are way overly optimistic based on my experiences as a HS teacher. Forget 4 or 5 star FB players...if you look at the general student body, I am looking at 3-4% who would even have a chance at getting in. In my 12 years, I have met two FB players who might have been GT material as students but weren't really P5 material. The intersection of these two sets that you discuss (4/5 star FB player and GT caliber student) is exceedingly small. Out of the 40-50 guys you discuss, I am wiiling to bet that 5 are capable. Unless I am grossly underestimating how much academic "support" these guys get.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Your numbers are way overly optimistic based on my experiences as a HS teacher. Forget 4 or 5 star FB players...if you look at the general student body, I am looking at 3-4% who would even have a chance at getting in. In my 12 years, I have met two FB players who might have been GT material as students but weren't really P5 material. The intersection of these two sets that you discuss (4/5 star FB player and GT caliber student) is exceedingly small. Out of the 40-50 guys you discuss, I am wiiling to bet that 5 are capable. Unless I am grossly underestimating how much academic "support" these guys get.
I'll quote on of my former coworkers from the track team "you'd have to try to fail"

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s kind of what I suspect. But, again, they’re not doing ChemE, or Architorture, they just gotta PASS calculus 1. Which isn’t nearly as bad but also is not nothing either. I just know that most of the time, a 300+ lb 4/5 star lineman can barely read, much less get Bs and Cs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That’s kind of what I suspect. But, again, they’re not doing ChemE, or Architorture, they just gotta PASS calculus 1. Which isn’t nearly as bad but also is not nothing either. I just know that most of the time, a 300+ lb 4/5 star lineman can barely read, much less get Bs and Cs.
Survey of Calculus. Still, that's much more than College Algebra, which is all most BA majors require. Most of the players on our FB team would not be admitted to Tech if not for their playing football. However, these guys are still working their tails off to do the class work, regardless of how much help they get. As far as I'm concerned, any resource is an acceptable resource. After over 35 years of engineering consulting, I've never been told that I can't have support. I rely on all types of resources (including human resources) to answer the questions I'm asked to answer.

I'm a strong proponent of open-book examinations. In what world are engineers (or anyone, really) required to memorize anything. Tests should probe one's understanding of the subject rather than test your ability to recall formulae and equations. I feel like our institutions of higher learning are failing our youth and not preparing them for the real world.

Just my opinion.

Edit: I know. There's a lot to unpack in those two paragraphs.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer

Recruiting changes annually as do the powerhouse schools in our state. I can tell you have been around a while just by mentioning Stephenson. They used to produce tons of talent but that's not the case anymore. A number of schools have opened in that county and it drained the talent pool that Stephenson once had. I do agree we should do our due diligence regardless tho

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting changes annually as do the powerhouse schools in our state. I can tell you have been around a while just by mentioning Stephenson. They used to produce tons of talent but that's not the case anymore. A number of schools have opened in that county and it drained the talent pool that Stephenson once had. I do agree we should do our due diligence regardless tho
I know the HS in my former area didn't produce anything when I was around. I think it got better, and then worse...Meadowcreek.

Edit: I think they're probably decent in soccer now...yikes!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Survey of Calculus. Still, that's much more than College Algebra, which is all most BA majors require. Most of the players on our FB team would not be admitted to Tech if not for their playing football. However, these guys are still working their tails off to do the class work, regardless of how much help they get. As far as I'm concerned, any resource is an acceptable resource. After over 35 years of engineering consulting, I've never been told that I can't have support. I rely on all types of resources (including human resources) to answer the questions I'm asked to answer.

I'm a strong proponent of open-book examinations. In what world are engineers (or anyone, really) required to memorize anything. Tests should probe one's understanding of the subject rather than test your ability to recall formulae and equations. I feel like our institutions of higher learning are failing our youth and not preparing them for the real world.

Just my opinion.

Edit: I know. There's a lot to unpack in those two paragraphs.
I am veering off topic of the thread, but I’ll bring it back.

First however I can’t pass over giving massive agreement to the bolded part of this. Put enough content to dissuade folks from being able to look everything up, but agree 100%. When I hire, I don’t care about their ability to show rote memorization; I care that you can solve the problem.

Beyond that - I’m kind of rolling my eyes through the article. Coaches want their players to get shots so they say, “Gimmie more Attention” let’s see what’s what when the dust settles. I think CGC talked about local inroads more than he focused on them but the staff we have now can do both (focusing here AND finding the gems nationally)

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Almost none of the players could “get in” on regular standards.

Once they’re in though, all you have to do is show up to class and pay attention and they’ll make the grades to stay eligible.

I was there from 04-06. I’m sure it’s only gotten easier since then.

Not saying it’s dwag or UNC easy, but it’s not as hard as most make it out to be.

We should be able to recruit 90% of the players Bama, ugag, or anyone else recruits. Whether or not they want to come is another story.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

Once they’re in though, all you have to do is show up to class and pay attention and they’ll make the grades to stay eligible.

Not saying it’s dwag or UNC easy, but it’s not as hard as most make it out to be.

We should be able to recruit 90% of the players Bama, ugag, or anyone else recruits. Whether or not they want to come is another story.
So, 90% of Bama and UGA players make 1000+ on SATs and sit in class with kids who scored 1450 on avg ?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I don't doubt that 90% of the kids at factories could pass at GT. I DO doubt they could get admitted. Our standards are simply higher and there is always a tug of war over how many exceptions the school will put up with...er...allow

JacketFan137

Banned
So, 90% of Bama and UGA players make 1000+ on SATs and sit in class with kids who scored 1450 on avg ?
idk if those numbers are accurate but at the end of the day i don’t know why a sizable amount of people in here seem to totally disregard the possibility that we make exceptions for our athletes and they are not held to the same standard as the typical student body

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Ken based his article primarily on the comments and feedback he solicited from a small selection of metro-area high school football coaches.

He did not conduct a more thorough, detailed study of how the GT football recruiting program has actually operated over the past several years.

Now that is what I would be most interested in!