AJC cruitin article

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And, btw, I disagree with the premise of the article strongly. Tech needs to recruit nationally. True, most players will still come from Georgia. But we need to recruit all over the place, even internationally. (Remember where Gotsis came from? OZ.) That's why there needs to be more money for recruiting. We need to id players in Georgia and Florida first, then look in Tennessee and South Carolina. Then in New York and New Jersey. Then in Texas. Then OZ and Europe. I'm mentioning here the places where Tech has gotten some really good players over the last decade, albeit mostly under Paul.

The one thing I liked was the coach who said Tech needed to find recruits who could develop into good D1 players. I couldn't agree more, but there's a prior problem. We have to have a program that knows what it wants to do with the players before we recruit and develop them. This was Collin's worst fault; he recruited rankings and didn't have a clear role for the players once they got to campus. That meant we didn't have a clear idea of how to develop them either. This has to stop now if we are to see recruiting bear fruit.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why are you so mad? If you coming out of school with 6 figure debt, that’s not Cardale or any other SA fault. Maybe you and others should’ve been utilizing those tutors so you could’ve been a superior student, so you could’ve received more scholarship money to cover your expenses.
My (out of state) roommate graduated from tech with a 4.0 and had no scholarships offered to him. This response is just completely ignorant of what it's like to receive financial aid.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Still waiting on someone to let me know what what’s the difference for Techs admission standards vs rest of the NCAA and i’m not trying to be an *** i really would like to know
The NCAA has a minimum GPA and SAT/ACT score to pass through the NCAA Clearinghouse. Georgia Tech's requirements are higher than these minimum standards. Both the NCAA requirements and GT student-athletes' requirements are significantly lower than the minimum (there really aren't minimum requirements, but there are scores and grades necessary to get in) requirements for a standard Tech undergraduate.

While many schools mimic the NCAA requirements as their minimum requirements, GT does not and has higher requirements. The coach can go to the President's Office and and ask for an exception to the GT requirements for an individual that is above the NCAA requirement but below the GT requirement. Typically, we don't have many of those exceptions. Essentially 100% of the scholarship football and men's basketball players are standard student exceptions but not GT Student-Athlete exceptions. GT PWO athletes also fall into the lower category to get accepted even though they're not on scholarship. PWO is a great way to get into GT if you are borderline for GT academics but can play ball and want to go to GT.

I thought you were connected enough with the student-athletes at GT to know this stuff. Maybe you're just trolling me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Problem = nobody would recognize Tech's "liberal arts" degrees as such. The reason is that Tach doesn't have legit departments in most liberal arts and commensurate professional programs. This drives me crazy. It would be easy to expand the present faculties to have actual departments in, say, most of the social sciences and in humanities. Then Tech could offer degrees that the grads wouldn't have to explain, carefully, to an employer. It would also make Tech a more familiar place to land for Georgia students. In short, Tech should be more like Purdue or (you can check) MIT.

I've gone over the reasons for this in other posts. It would help recruiting, sure, but that's not the main reason it should be done.
My wife has a Ph.D. in Public Policy from Georgia Tech. That's a Liberal Arts degree. She doesn't have to explain it to anyone. International Affairs is also a liberal arts degree no one has to explain. These are both in legitimate colleges and well respected nationally.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
And, btw, I disagree with the premise of the article strongly. Tech needs to recruit nationally. True, most players will still come from Georgia. But we need to recruit all over the place, even internationally. (Remember where Gotsis came from? OZ.) That's why there needs to be more money for recruiting. We need to id players in Georgia and Florida first, then look in Tennessee and South Carolina. Then in New York and New Jersey. Then in Texas. Then OZ and Europe. I'm mentioning here the places where Tech has gotten some really good players over the last decade, albeit mostly under Paul.

The one thing I liked was the coach who said Tech needed to find recruits who could develop into good D1 players. I couldn't agree more, but there's a prior problem. We have to have a program that knows what it wants to do with the players before we recruit and develop them. This was Collin's worst fault; he recruited rankings and didn't have a clear role for the players once they got to campus. That meant we didn't have a clear idea of how to develop them either. This has to stop now if we are to see recruiting bear fruit.
I've always thought that Tech should set up a national alumni referral program for recruiting.There HAS to be a bunch of grads who played Fball and can identify a possible guy( by play AND academics) in his geographic area.It would be up to one the dozen? support/admin guys to screen the referrals.It is a way to turn over a nugget once in a while.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've always thought that Tech should set up a national alumni referral program for recruiting.There HAS to be a bunch of grads who played Fball and can identify a possible guy( by play AND academics) in his geographic area.It would be up to one the dozen? support/admin guys to screen the referrals.It is a way to turn over a nugget once in a while.
That used to exist. It doesn't anymore.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Almost none of the players could “get in” on regular standards.

Once they’re in though, all you have to do is show up to class and pay attention and they’ll make the grades to stay eligible.

I was there from 04-06. I’m sure it’s only gotten easier since then.

Not saying it’s dwag or UNC easy, but it’s not as hard as most make it out to be.

We should be able to recruit 90% of the players Bama, ugag, or anyone else recruits. Whether or not they want to come is another story.
So, you are saying that they would need to go to class, see the TAs for help, and actually study? Nope, not going to happen with 5 stars that have visions of NFL stardom dancing in their rock hard noggins.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
My wife has a Ph.D. in Public Policy from Georgia Tech. That's a Liberal Arts degree. She doesn't have to explain it to anyone. International Affairs is also a liberal arts degree no one has to explain. These are both in legitimate colleges and well respected nationally.
Which means your wife has a Bachelor of SCIENCE degree.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the 2 most interesting comments were these.

“The models for GT are Stanford and Northwestern,” he wrote. “They just need to figure out how they can make the academic restrictions and situation work for them.”
This comment of course flies completely in the face of the whole "GT needs to recruit GA harder focus of the article". Both of those schools recruit nationally to find their FB recruits. Both of them have also been struggling recently just like GT.

That same coach mentioned that GT should be looking for recruits they can develop and play by their JR and SR seasons.

“Whoever the coach is has to be able to show the recruits around campus and football facilities and have it as a selling point, and that is where the athletic director comes in,” he wrote. “Last staff ‘sold’ Atlanta as a recruiting tool, but that is second to how much time the athletes spend in facilities.”
This comes back to the facilities arms race. Unfortunately GT really doesn't have the money for that.

Unfortunately, if you look nationwide, the more high academic restriction schools are largely struggling. They aren't really built to succeed in the current iteration of college football.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My (out of state) roommate graduated from tech with a 4.0 and had no scholarships offered to him. This response is just completely ignorant of what it's like to receive financial aid.

Nothing ignorant about it. Sounds like he needed a 4.2 bc his 4.0 wasn’t good enough for a scholarship

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Still waiting on someone to let me know what what’s the difference for Techs admission standards vs rest of the NCAA and i’m not trying to be an *** i really would like to know

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
People act like football players are actually students anymore. NIL baby, they're employees. Class is optional.
Only very partially true. Only the cream of the college crop at the football factories get NIL deals with real money. Even at the factories 75% of the players won't sniff a NIL deal of any noticeable value.

NIL will help draw more athletes attentions, so it is imperative GT have some well promoted NIL deals, otherwise thats a bigger negative than academics now. While most HS stars won't get any NIL deals, most think they will, and that is the key, sell them on the fact GT has NIL players, so you'll get your deal (though they likely wont).