AJC Article on Value of Adidas Deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Of those seven incentives, Tech has accomplished one of them (football ACC championship in 2009, since vacated) since 1998. If we win the ACC in football again, we will only get 500K taking us to 750K which is less than the 950K RA paid us this year! It would appear that we have been ripped off. I can here the ugag fans "Bunch of engineering nerds with zero business sense"
Don't worry. No UGA fan is even remotely concerned or even reading about our apparel deal.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Those are also just what is locked in/guaranteed. We can basically "renegotiate" after year 3, and if we're winning conference titles and reeling off 9-10 win seasons then we will have more leverage to get maybe more guaranteed money anyway.

ebb1

Georgia Tech Fan
Just as an FYI, I stepped into the bookstore during lunch. They have a Gold Adidas Polo Shirt and a Grey Long sleeve 1/4 zip in stock. I guess they wanted to get started with the 3 stripes as soon as they could get something ordered. They are nothing special but they are adidas

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Just as an FYI, I stepped into the bookstore during lunch. They have a Gold Adidas Polo Shirt and a Grey Long sleeve 1/4 zip in stock. I guess they wanted to get started with the 3 stripes as soon as they could get something ordered. They are nothing special but they are adidas

Picture please

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow

I've seen these polos. I spoke with the BN people the day they were putting them out. Those polos are the actual shade of gold we've chosen. It looked good to me.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wandering a bit of topic sorry mods..[emoji51] I HATE how bad the Barnes and Noble bookstore site is.

Just went on to try to find the adidas gear mentioned and it’s a wreck (wrong shade of Ramblin). There is a Nike shop and a UA shop but no adidas shop? #BooThatNoise.

Rant over..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The best thread on this topic is in the basketball forum. Some good points about the overall benefits of this deal in spite of less money.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
If this is the GOLD chosen, we need photos and we need them now. Let the "b....ing" commense. :)

I did actually take a picture of it with the intent of posting it on here. The lighting in the picture was terrible though, and the gold appeared to be darker in the picture than in real life. I'm not great at taking pictures. I'm sure we'll all see it soon enough though.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Of those seven incentives, Tech has accomplished one of them (football ACC championship in 2009, since vacated) since 1998. If we win the ACC in football again, we will only get 500K taking us to 750K which is less than the 950K RA paid us this year! It would appear that we have been ripped off. I can here the ugag fans "Bunch of engineering nerds with zero business sense"
You have a complete understanding of how bad people are at Tech re:contracts. #1 on the list, Dave Braine's rollover contract with Hewitt! But, Tech's agreement to loan Todd Stansbury 1 million to buy out his contract in order to come to Tech could beat that! Here's a guy that wanted to leave his job on order to take another one (Tech) but, didn't have the money,or ability to secure a loan to buy out the contract! Tech agreed to give him the money to do that.What if Todd decides to leave or quits?does Tech have any contract agreement to get their money back? Probably not b/c Stansbury didn't have any money to begin with. Maybe everything will turn out great, but history might strike Tech again!

Milwaukee

Banned
You have a complete understanding of how bad people are at Tech re:contracts. #1 on the list, Dave Braine's rollover contract with Hewitt! But, Tech's agreement to loan Todd Stansbury 1 million to buy out his contract in order to come to Tech could beat that! Here's a guy that wanted to leave his job on order to take another one (Tech) but, didn't have the money,or ability to secure a loan to buy out the contract! Tech agreed to give him the money to do that.What if Todd decides to leave or quits?does Tech have any contract agreement to get their money back? Probably not b/c Stansbury didn't have any money to begin with. Maybe everything will turn out great, but history might strike Tech again!

Didn't know that, that's crazy.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you have grossly misrepresented the conditions of ADTS' buyout with OSU and how much Tech helped.
At that point, his contract with Oregon State had bound him tightly to the school. Were he to leave the school at that point, a little more than a year into a five-year contract, he would owe Oregon State in the neighborhood of $2.2 million.
The buyout is so heavy because Stansbury broke his five-year Oregon State contract so early. It stipulated that, if he ended it, he would owe damages to Oregon State equal to the amount of the salary still remaining in the contract, $500,000 annually. He would also have to pay back the unamortized amount of the $350,000 buyout payment that Oregon State agreed to pay to UCF when it hired him in 2015. (When he made the contract, Stansbury hoped to include a clause exempting him from a buyout if he left for Tech, but was unable.)
To help make his departure feasible, Peterson and Stansbury agreed on a covenant that demonstrated their mutual commitment. Stansbury’s contract includes a loan from the athletic association of up to $1.1 million to cover his buyout. If he leaves before his contract is up in June 2021, Stansbury will owe the entire amount, plus interest, immediately. However, if he stays through the contract, the entire loan will be forgiven.
Tech has made a heavy investment in Stansbury, in part to help him meet his onerous buyout agreement with Oregon State, and likewise Stansbury has a vested interest in not going anywhere for the length of his five-year contract. If he leaves before it’s up, he’ll owe the athletic department more than $1.1 million, due immediately.
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...etween-stansbury-tech/WK9eHkuXGctHvIgcJJBgYI/
ADTS owed ~$2.2M when he left OSU. Tech loaned him $1.1M to help out, so he shelled out $1.1M of his own money to come here. Plus, there is a clause that states that if he leaves Tech before his 5 year contract is up, he has to immediately pay back the entire loan plus interest. I'd say anyone willing to pay over $1M out of pocket to take a new job really wants to be there.

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
Ok, so I was initially upset at our deal... so I researched other in the ACC... and I actually think we have gotten a decent/solid deal after seeing what some others Colleges have especially knowing that we handcuffed negotiations by announcing to the world we are leaving RA. Below is what I found

Georgia Tech:
Adidas
Total Value: 3.25M
Equipment and apparel: 3.05M
Cash: 200K
6/30/2024

Virginia Tech
Nike
Total Value: 1.9M
Equipment and apparel: 1.625M
Cash: 275K
6/30/2023

Clemson
Nike
Total Value: 2.7M
Equipment and apparel: $2.586M
Cash: 115K
6/30/2023

Virginia
Nike
Total Value: 3.075M
Equipment and apparel: $2.575M
Cash: 500K
6/30/2025

FSU
Nike
Total Value: 4.21M
Equipment and apparel: $2.8M
Cash: 1.4M
7/31/2023

NC State
Adidas
Total Value: 6.4M
Equipment and apparel: $6.1M
Cash: 300K
7/31/2022

Deals being reworked- UNC
University of North Carolina
Nike
Total Value: 3.875M
Equipment and apparel: $3.4M
Cash: 475K
6/30/2018

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what allowed NC State to negotiate for so much equipment, do they just have more sports that use it? (soccer, lacrosse etc?)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I wonder what allowed NC State to negotiate for so much equipment, do they just have more sports that use it? (soccer, lacrosse etc?)

N.C. State will get a lot more than new alternate uniforms in its new apparel contract with adidas.

The school announced a six-year contract extension with the sneaker company to outfit its 23 sports teams on Tuesday. The deal is worth $38.7 million in uniforms, footwear, apparel and financial considerations.