• Start date

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I want some Team colored NMD's.

A7D52799-C80C-486C-94AB-C78814BBD10D.png

You can get these on Finishline for $100

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo the lack of cash is a really bad move and the bonus milestones are ridiculously difficult vegas odds to achieve. Tech is banking on more merchandise for sure. But man we have a cheap fanbase. The impact of this contract will be interesting to observe.

Good job Adidas imo. They signed a school for very little up front capitol. Businessmen over career schoolmen won imo. Which is why i maintain schools need more businessmen as AD and Presidents than we have. But i digress. I am sure we did the best we thought we could.

By comparison. Iirc russell is paying tech almost a million a year cash.

Now. I dont like russell. We needed to switch. But 900k vs 200k is a major difference in cash.

Of course. Addidas is supplying more gear and sneakers for total value. So perhaps the numbers benefit us somehow. But 700k cash is alot. Thats 4 football personnel to recruit.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Any info on the licensing of the apparel?

Not fond of the deal. Tech is always strapped for cash and Tech fanbase is notoriously frugile. Would’ve like to see the cash around the same as the Russell Deal

I assume merchandise sales is where we expect to make up the cash difference

Deleted member 2897

Imo the lack of cash is a really bad move and the bonus milestones are ridiculously difficult vegas odds to achieve. Tech is banking on more merchandise for sure. But man we have a cheap fanbase. The impact of this contract will be interesting to observe.

Good job Adidas imo. They signed a school for very little up front capitol. Businessmen over career schoolmen won imo. Which is why i maintain schools need more businessmen as AD and Presidents than we have. But i digress. I am sure we did the best we thought we could.

By comparison. Iirc russell is paying tech almost a million a year cash.

Now. I dont like russell. We needed to switch. But 900k vs 200k is a major difference in cash.

Of course. Addidas is supplying more gear and sneakers for total value. So perhaps the numbers benefit us somehow. But 700k cash is alot. Thats 4 football personnel to recruit.

This was not “a bad deal”. The big cash deals don’t exist anymore. It’s a big reason UA and Nike got in financial trouble in that part of their business. Go look at the terms of schools like USF that signed Dec 6th - this is the way deals are going now.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/2017/12/06/usf-strikes-apparel-deal-with-adidas/
And by the way, our deal is more cash and more apparel both.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The switch in brands hasn't gotten much tread on here lately, but it's good to see some details come out.

I've said this before, but I couldn't care less what adidas does to our colors or style, and if you want success for GT you shouldn't either. If you coach 18 year olds, you know that when adidas busts out some chrome-tinted honeycomb look with blue as the primary color, they're gonna be posting about how fye they are and watching our game that night to see them on TV. It doesn't matter whether you think that should matter or not. It does.

So bring on the chrome. Bring on the honeycomb. Bring on the blue. Just bring on the three stripes so I can stop hearing from kids at my own high school how trash our unis are, and start seeing recruits posting their pics in our new gear!!!
Ummm... no thanks.
Don't want to become the Maryland of the south.

Deleted member 2897

This deal infuriates more that we could’ve jumped on the cash cow by opting out of Russell after yr 7

Yep. But I now know why we were offered an out last year but Russell and didn’t take it. We would have given up $950k and they probably figured we would t have enough time to get new designs in, etc.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Not fond of the deal. Tech is always strapped for cash and Tech fanbase is notoriously frugile. Would’ve like to see the cash around the same as the Russell Deal

Is that a female mannequin wearing the jersey in your avatar?
29.jpg
Thought we had another girl on the board til I looked at the name.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Or at least half the russell deal. I get deal structures are different today. But 450k or 500k cash and a tad less in apparel value is better for tech. Cash is the issue for us.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I would have liked more money, but I think this is a great deal overall. Our guys are getting way more gear than other schools. Also, we have the ability to increase the funding by simply winning. Sounds good to me!

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...agreement-with-adidas/hebjv2I3PIBh8K6b2QwVdJ/

As I expected, low on cash, high on apparel, which can be significantly overpriced to help inflate the size of the deal. And that is totally fine. Just get on to something cool and get off the garbage. I don't think when you are getting $18 million worth of apparel at Tech over the next several years you can expect them to also pay you millions in cash. We ain't that kind of place, so the structure of this seems fine to me. Thumbs up!
Cash and gear total ranks us #31 overall. Not bad. Nike and UA ain't opening the bank anymore unless you are legit Top 15 -ish annual program.

It's probably a moot point anyhow. If we get more cash each year and less gear, we have to turn around and give it right back to adidas.....

Bring on the new GOLD adidas gear. I will be at the bookstore in July!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT was a victim of bad timing this go around...and it seems like every time a contract is up for negotiation.

1. We announced that we were separating from Russell (and not going back), and I believe Russell made it known they were getting out of the NCAA business.
2. UA, who most thought was the favorite, started hemoraging money, their stock tanked, and couldn't afford to come to the table strong like we all thought they would (and they probably wanted to). They'd already backed the truck up for several other schools.
3. Nike was never seriously a contender from all reports, and their offer wasn't even being entertained seriously.
4. Adidas probably knew all of the above, and the numbers from reports reflect it.

No pressure Paul Johnson and Josh Pastner....it's up to them to make our two biggest revenue drivers attractive for the next open window.